Important Mining Head Info

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Just FYI, multiple mining lasers on 1 target are multiplicative in their buffs/nerfs and this occurs in real time REAGRDLESS of the power output applied to the rock. 0.10% is enough.

Ex.: Rock as instability of 1.11

Apply Helix with 50% reduction of instability, get .55
Apply Lancet with 30% reduction to same rock. Instability now down to .38 with the Helix still turned on.

This creates vast diminishing returns after the first couple lasers locked on if they affect the same stat of the rock.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
S1 Hofstede review

I had an opportunity to run this one on my prospector today, and it's a definite improvement over the standard mining head. I was able to transfer enough energy into a fairly big rock to crack it, and got a very nice 22k payout as my reward (not great, but not bad for one of the first rocks you find)

With the standard loadout, I would not have been able to crack this one. It just doesn't have the energy transfer needed.

That said...don't use this one for bigger rocks unless you know what you are doing and have really good and really responsive controls (I use an axis on my throttle specifically for this purpose as it's a long throw, but also has the ability to go from full on to full off in 1/4 of a second depending on how fast I need it.)

You are pretty much sitting on top of the rock when you first crack it, and even once you are down to your secondary cracks, it's still danger close in terms of overcharge. If the server lags even a second or two, it's pretty much game over for you as you won't be able to get to minimum safe distance.

I will make a few more runs with this, but this run tripled what I made on each of my first two runs when I was forced to go to smaller and less profitable rocks.

I also will be looking at testing out the Klein laser as well. Both of these seem like good "bang for the buck" mining heads. The Hofstede will supposedly give you a fairly safe experience, while the Klein has a larger power transfer and longer range available to it.

I would give this a 4/5 star review. Great for those that won't (often) overload their rocks, but 1 star is removed due to a slightly less powerful energy transfer rate, and needing to be danger close. Overall, a very nice value for the fresh player to use as her first upgrade in capability

Reactions: Dalarast

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
S1 Hofstede review

I had an opportunity to run this one on my prospector today, and it's a definite improvement over the standard mining head. I was able to transfer enough energy into a fairly big rock to crack it, and got a very nice 22k payout as my reward (not great, but not bad for one of the first rocks you find)

With the standard loadout, I would not have been able to crack this one. It just doesn't have the energy transfer needed.

That said...don't use this one for bigger rocks unless you know what you are doing and have really good and really responsive controls (I use an axis on my throttle specifically for this purpose as it's a long throw, but also has the ability to go from full on to full off in 1/4 of a second depending on how fast I need it.)

You are pretty much sitting on top of the rock when you first crack it, and even once you are down to your secondary cracks, it's still danger close in terms of overcharge. If the server lags even a second or two, it's pretty much game over for you as you won't be able to get to minimum safe distance.

I will make a few more runs with this, but this run tripled what I made on each of my first two runs when I was forced to go to smaller and less profitable rocks.

I also will be looking at testing out the Klein laser as well. Both of these seem like good "bang for the buck" mining heads. The Hofstede will supposedly give you a fairly safe experience, while the Klein has a larger power transfer and longer range available to it.

I would give this a 4/5 star review. Great for those that won't (often) overload their rocks, but 1 star is removed due to a slightly less powerful energy transfer rate, and needing to be danger close. Overall, a very nice value for the fresh player to use as her first upgrade in capability
Don't use the Klein unless you're only dealing with very stable rocks. It increases instability by 50%. Get an Impact if you need more power fast or wait until you can afford a Helix.

Reactions: Dalarast

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Don't use the Klein unless you're only dealing with very stable rocks. It increases instability by 50%. Get an Impact if you need more power fast or wait until you can afford a Helix.
thanks for the update/info. I will keep with what I have for now then.

Forgot your password?