In regards to the S.S.S Weekly

Scarthian

The Shadow Broker
Feb 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Scarthian
Alright so this has been discussed mainly over teamspeak but it seems the ball hasn't gotten rolling just yet here. I posted this here because this is more about the event rather than the specific games. So I am sure we all know the S.S.S is an event that is supposed to take place on a weekly basis normally on Saturday. It has lost a bit of steam so an idea was tossed around to try to get some life back into it. Basically instead of a specific game whether it be chosen well before hand or last minute we would come up with a list of games then make a rotating stable of about 4 to 5 games to be played during the event. I feel like this will help set a schedule that can be known well in advance and offer the ability to actually get a chance to play something if you do not own the one game for said weekly.

While free games are preferred so that the only barrier to play would be a download for most folks instead of having to pay anything. Now having said that I know some folks have payed and would like certain games up in the rotation so the list will include both F2P and bought games. The variety is not limited to one genre so feel free to list any game just remember it has to have multiplayer (go figure!). Plan is to take all listed games make a proper list then start hopefully setting up the stables/ blocks of games. Maybe get some type of calender going listing the stable of games to be played on I would say a monthly basis. For example if we get the stables set up we can list all of June's S.S.S weekends. So here are a few games I shall toss out there to start the list (maybe I should toss this on the subreddit as well?)

Updated Games List:

Paid Games:

Arma 3 – Fps/Paid
Star Wars Battlefront 2 – FPS/Paid
Civilization 5 – RTS, Turn Based/Paid
Counter Strike:GO – FPS/Paid
Natural Selection 2 - Paid - FPS (commander RTS)
WarGame Red Dragon – RTS/ Paid
StarCraft 2– RTS/ Paid - Arcade Free Mode
TitanFall – FPS/ Paid
Awesomenauts – Sidescroller Platformer?/ Paid
Battlefield 4 – FPS/ Paid
Left 4 Dead 2 – FPS Objective Based/ Paid
Payday 2 - FPS Objective Based/ Paid
Just Cause 2 - 3rd Person Action/ Paid
Borderlands 2 - FPS/ Paid

F2P Games:
League of Legends – Moba/F2p
Star Wars the Old Republic – Mmorpg/F2p
Loadout - First/Third Person Shooter/ F2p
Team Fortress 2 - FPS/ F2p
Path of Exile - Diablo Style Hack n Slash/ F2p
DotA 2 - Moba/F2p
War Thunder – Flight Sim/ F2P
Mechwarrior Online - FP...R...S...?/F2P
Planetside 2 – FPS/ F2P
APB Reloaded - 3rd person shooter/ GTA Style/ F2P
Marvel Heroes - MMO/ Beat em Up/ F2P
Infinite Crisis - Moba/ F2P

Note: I will be updating the original post to add any games people suggest. As shown above please give a base description and whether it is Paid or F2P. Thanks folks and let's keep them coming as you can see we already got some great suggestions! If I miss any or make a mistake feel free to give me a heads up.

Last edited:

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Great Idea Scarthian! I was gonna get back to hosting the S.S.S. after finals (which for me ends in 6 hours) :P

Also my 2 cents. There is no reason to limit ourself to one game per event, rather we can have one free to play of one genre and one paid game of a different genre to attract more people and allow people to switch between these games if they get tired/bored.

Scarthian

The Shadow Broker
Feb 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Scarthian
Great Idea Scarthian! I was gonna get back to hosting the S.S.S. after finals (which for me ends in 6 hours) :p

Also my 2 cents. There is no reason to limit ourself to one game per event, rather we can have one free to play of one genre and one paid game of a different genre to attract more people and allow people to switch between these games if they get tired/bored.
Exactly why I suggested the stable or block of games rather than just one per event. It allows for more variety and as you said lets folks switch if they are tired of one game or another. Folks can toss their particular games into the hat like Troll above and we can make up gaming blocks for the events in advance. This allows folks the time to see if they can join and if they are up for the games. Also I was thinking for those folks who don't want to get on T.S. to toss up their in game/ platform names. That way at least we could know who they are and get them into the event even if they prefer not to get on TS.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
This is looking like a pretty good line up.
Dota2/LoL - Pretty steep learning curve! do we have carebares to help newbs like me? (played DotA2 through the tutorial stages, lost bad 2nd public game......and never played again).
Arma3 - Never played, like war sims though, willing to buy this as an old school Desert Combat vet (BF1942mod).
SWtOR- Never played but I'm down with f2p mmo's. Heard this was pants since f2p though?
Battlefront 2 - Legendary game, just picked up the Star Wars Steam bundle, would love to play this again.
CIV5 - Meh...I suck at RTS, gimme tabletop D&D/GoT/RISK
Loadout - Not played or seen yet, also not played TF2. Bit of a magpie gamer so not that into cartoony graphics. Borderlands 2 was okay but.....dull imo.
PoE -Only played about 5 mins but I dig Diablo style games. Looking forward to the Gauntlet remake.....
Used to love a bit of CS:S, haven't tried CS:GO but willing if there is a bunch of us. Good team game.
I'll suggest Natural Selection 2 - Paid - FPS (commander RTS) It's pretty good fun.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
This is looking like a pretty good line up.
SWtOR- Never played but I'm down with f2p mmo's. Heard this was pants since f2p though?
There's still a lot of hate surrounding this game... I don't understand... I quite like it. Right now, under "other games" section of this forum, a few of us picked it up and play occasionally. You should really give it a chance, it's a pretty fun game if you're into Star Wars lore
CIV5 - Meh...I suck at RTS, gimme tabletop D&D/GoT/RISK
it's turn based! not real-time!
also, weird how "War Thunder / f2p" and "WarGame Red Dragon / paid" aren't mentioned yet =b

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
also, weird how "War Thunder / f2p" and "WarGame Red Dragon / paid" aren't mentioned yet =b
Totally willing to give Star Wars a try, just wondered what all the fuss was about?

Real time/Turn based....still meh. ;)

Jumanx.

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Jumanx
Just a note, but Starcraft II Arcade is totally free to play and there are plenty of gametypes that are basically vanilla ladder matches

Pyotr

Captain
Apr 11, 2014
RSI Handle
pyotr_parker
Its paid, but you can usually pick it up super cheap, Just Cause 2 (multiplier mod)
tons of fun, and tons of crashing things into other things - good practice for later!

I usually drink away my Saturdays, so this'll be perfect!

Reactions: o-BHG-o

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
I see Natural Selection 2 on the list and I think that could be really fun with a big group. It also just happens to be on sale for $5 right now here:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

while i like natural selection 2 (great game), it is not THAT clear how to play in the first few hours for newbies.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Just Cause 2 and Natural selection 2 have my vote.

edit: NS2; I think it's pretty easy to pick up and play as the marines, maybe some explanation of the aliens race is needed and a seasoned commander always helps......that's not me btw ;)

Forgot your password?