Instead of making a large pledge today I bought a laptop to play SC..

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Yep... instead of putting down some coin for a larger pledge for the redeemer today I ordered a new laptop today. This will not be my game rig for home; but due to my job having my travel I had to rely on a laptop as my gaming rig when away. So probably in two-three weeks (gotta love international shipping) I will finally be able to jump into Arena Commander... and crash while sober :(

Picked up the ASUS G751JT (http://www.asus.com/us/site/g-series/G751/). Good purchase? Please give me some reassurance so when the wife yells at me through facetime I can say I was supported by my future drinking compatriots... :)

Reactions: CitizenDad

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I was at Walmart yesterday, and you are right!

Some of those laptops are cheaper than these stupid internet spaceships.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I was at Walmart yesterday, and you are right!

Some of those laptops are cheaper than these stupid internet spaceships.
Ha! To true though... When I saw the price of it compared to the alienware I was hovering over I couldn't resist.

And then I asked why buy more ships if I can't enjoy them when I'm away ;) Once the laptop gets here I will have to invest in a fighter ship to enjoy in arena commander and a Test t-shirt to be sent to an APO when they become available ;)

Frinix

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Mataur
For this price, this is a good laptop, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting ready for AC with that (maybe not on ultra conf but it should run easily on high)

So yeah, good purchase I'd say...

I highly recommend you to install Star Citizen on the SSD, it'll help and you should have more than enough space on it

Congratz on the buy man

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I had an ASUS gaming laptop that I used through college. That thing lasted me for about 2 years before I started having problems with the video card. Even though it was a known issue with the nVidia chipset, I had to fight tooth and nail with ASUS' tech support because this happened a month after the warranty expired. I got them to replace the mobo once (though I don't think they actually did) and then the problem resurfaced again, which I fixed by hitting it with a heat gun... then it failed again and again, and I just built up my desktop once I graduated and I've been using that.

ASUS does make amazing products, and in-warranty service is really good, but God help you if something happens when the warranty expires.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I had an ASUS gaming laptop that I used through college. That thing lasted me for about 2 years before I started having problems with the video card. Even though it was a known issue with the nVidia chipset, I had to fight tooth and nail with ASUS' tech support because this happened a month after the warranty expired. I got them to replace the mobo once (though I don't think they actually did) and then the problem resurfaced again, which I fixed by hitting it with a heat gun... then it failed again and again, and I just built up my desktop once I graduated and I've been using that.

ASUS does make amazing products, and in-warranty service is really good, but God help you if something happens when the warranty expires.
That happens with every company. And most of them have cheaped out and make you pay to ship your broken shit to them.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I live by extended warranties and have always figured that once the product reaches the end of the life of the warranty it is either to old to be viable or its a sign to upgrade. I'm sure anything is better than my VAIO I got now. I love this thing for work and media.. but it's made to travel and not games.

Soon as it gets here I will be hopping onto SC - Arena Commander first thing and post a report. I expect good things. I will be hitting the forum up for my hunt in next year when I start my desktop rig and I'll give the laptop to the wife so she can fly me around as I drink in the turret.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
That happens with every company. And most of them have cheaped out and make you pay to ship your broken shit to them.
This is true, though ASUS still sent me the shipping stickers so I didn't have to pay.

Other than that, it was an amazing laptop that would still work, today, if I fixed the GPU issue, lol.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Just got confirmation from TigerDirect that my ASUS is backordered. Hopefully the backorder just means a week or so; but I know that all other online sources are sold out as well. Grrrr.

Need the ASUS so I can play Arena Commander... need Arena commander to convince myself to make a pledge toward a fighter oriented ship.

Now I need a beer. Anyone want to bring me one in Africa :)

Reactions: Civil Hypocricy

SmoothOpX

Ensign
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
SmoothOp
I've been an exclusive laptop gamer for around 10 years. I can go from my bed to my couch, or wherever! My wife hated it when I had a desktop and spent too many hours stuck in a room at a desk. I even mounted my X52 Pro on thin plank and it sits on my lap. Ya your not gonna get the BEST experience but I can run SC native and still have a good experience even though it's not optimized and my MSI is a couple years old now. I'll lose the triple monitor setup I've always wanted but I have a happy wife.

Reactions: Dalarast

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
My wife and I game together on the console so I'm hoping she will get the bug for SC as its more than just "shoot them up" or "race" games as we normally play. If she does... she gets the laptop and I'll use the desktop.

If this laptop ever gets here... grrr.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I've got a Compaq 6910p that really should be retired and used as a paperweight, as that's all it's good for.

Although, it can stream games very well, hopefully I'll be able to stream SC to it.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
That laptop is a beast and the GTX 980 is amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if the PU runs on it more than fine when it comes out. How much did it cost you?

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I was originally looking at the G750 until I stumbled upon the new G751. What sucks is that amazon had the G571 available when I was making my purchase... but those ass-hats don't ship to APO addresses. I'm hoping for good things with ASUS.

The fun thing is that I can open up SC hanger with my 6 month old Sony; but since this is a "corporate" focused laptop it just laughs at me if I attempt to open up Arena Commander as the, what you might call, a graphics card screams in agony. I can open up excel and access files all day long though.. shocking.

Capi'Tan LeChuck a little over 2k with the added protection plan.... big investment for someone who is not a PC gamer. That could of got me a new AR-10 :) (EDIT: was going to be 2.5K but these ass-hats don't have the G751JY available either!!!!)

Last edited:

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
I was originally looking at the G750 until I stumbled upon the new G751. What sucks is that amazon had the G571 available when I was making my purchase... but those ass-hats don't ship to APO addresses. I'm hoping for good things with ASUS.

The fun thing is that I can open up SC hanger with my 6 month old Sony; but since this is a "corporate" focused laptop it just laughs at me if I attempt to open up Arena Commander as the, what you might call, a graphics card screams in agony. I can open up excel and access files all day long though.. shocking.

Capi'Tan LeChuck a little over 2.5k with the added protection plan.... big investment for someone who is not a PC gamer. That could of got me a new AR-10 :)
Other people spend their entertainment budget on cars, alcohol, strippers, or other stuff. At least this expense will retain its value for quite some time and will be useful for other things instead of gaming. As a game developer I wish I had the money to spend at the moment for such a tool since I'm kinda crippled whenever I have to leave my base of operations.

Reactions: CrashMan054

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Other people spend their entertainment budget on cars, alcohol, strippers, or other stuff. At least this expense will retain its value for quite some time and will be useful for other things instead of gaming. As a game developer I wish I had the money to spend at the moment for such a tool since I'm kinda crippled whenever I have to leave my base of operations.
Being deployed I can't spend my money on alcohol or strippers... way to rub it in ;) My wife said I spent to much on firearms while I was deployed; but this extra "spending" ability is attributed to my lack of cigarettes and having to buy a pack a day. The best thing about this purchase though for me is that it is all paid for with company supplied stock I received when I worked at BestBuy. Kinda like my last FU to them as I sell stock to buy a laptop from someone else ;)

Forgot your password?