Interesting dogfighting tips video

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
This dude shares some of his tips, tactics, and strategies...very interesting to watch, especially the dogfighting sequences. The TL;DR is, if you are in a group, don't let a troll bait you to go after him 1v1. But it gives a good summary of his thought process, and how he isn't afraid to run away from a fight and come back later when the situation is better.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74za4xsrnqU&feature=youtu.be

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
There's some pretty good advice in that video, but he doesn't follow it himself so I'm not that impressed. There's some good explanation of part of the strategy to fight one on one... but unless you're that good, don't do it.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
There's some pretty good advice in that video, but he doesn't follow it himself so I'm not that impressed. There's some good explanation of part of the strategy to fight one on one... but unless you're that good, don't do it.
lol, the old "take my advice, I'm not using it" problem.

I believe that, since there really is no penalty for dying (yet) in the game, other than claiming your ship and re-spawning, you don't have to be ultra careful.

I did like the way he talked about carefully choosing a fight, and running away unless he completely had the advantage. I also think the important lesson to an org like ours is, if you are in a group and in formation or with a wingman, do NOT get baited to go 1v1. Use your discipline, maintain the group cohesion, and use our (overwhelming) power to fight to win.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Wait did someone just say something about TEST and careful and discipline in the same paragraph?!?!?!?!??!
How about saying, "Each member of TEST, should be careful to select the beverage of their choice & then once obtained, show it some discipline by consuming it thoroughly"? I think this may qualify. Cheers to all!

Reactions: Radegast74

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Been watching the videos by that guy you linked @Radegast74 and he seems to really know his stuff. I've learned alot so far. Here is his channel if people want to see what he has up right now.

Will C.

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2017
RSI Handle
Mute_01
@Black Sunder His channel could be informative to new players. His tactics are more commonplace and what most people try and do. His dog fighting skills are 3 ticks above average but i suppose could help newer keyboard and mouse players but honestly flying an arrow in a constant right or left strafe de coupled or coupled with small up and down adjustments like he make is just gonna get you killed by anyone short of a potato

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
@Black Sunder His channel could be informative to new players. His tactics are more commonplace and what most people try and do. His dog fighting skills are 3 ticks above average but i suppose could help newer keyboard and mouse players but honestly flying an arrow in a constant right or left strafe de coupled or coupled with small up and down adjustments like he make is just gonna get you killed by anyone short of a potato
Potato here. still learned many new things. I just don't think strafing all the time is the best way to fight. gets boring.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

sovapid

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2018
RSI Handle
sovapid
If you are PVPing right now in 3.4 there are two bugs/glitches you need to know about.

Speed Bug:
If your ship is damaged and you repair, you will likely end up in a state where your ship has no mass. You will accelerate incredibly fast.

To fix this glitch, get your ship stored and call it back out. It does not need to get destroyed, just pulled off the landing pad.

Shield/Power Plant/Stealth bug:
If you over clock your power plant, other players will not be able to see you until you are very close. To any ship targeting you, you will also look like you don't have shields.

To fix this glitch, do not over clock your power plant.

Issue council post: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha-3/STARC-78696-Overclocking_powerplant_bugs_ships_signature_and_shields

In this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHRXJSy1TbA

The guy recommends over clocking your power plant, but neglects to warn about the glitch/bug.

It was mentioned in the comments and the person appears to be in favor of glitching.

View: https://i.imgur.com/llzc5XP.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/YpNnn34.png

And you can see at this point in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74za4xsrnqU&feature=youtu.be&t=1278

(EDIT: the embed is eating the link to the timestamp. The little yellow link at the bottom of the embed takes you to the point in the video)

That his arrow is definitely speed bugged, going from slightly backwards speed, to full speed nearly instantly.

Hitting a speed bugged arrow is damn hard, so no wonder the people fighting against him were not landing shots. Can't really comment on their skill.

You can use the exploits if you want, but someone who does any pvp is gonna know.

Last edited:
  • o7

188Octane

Sabre Addict
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
188Octane
Shield/Power Plant/Stealth bug:
If you over clock your power plant, other players will not be able to see you until you are very close. To any ship targeting you, you will also look like you don't have shields.
I was in PU last night and was discussing the glitch with some folks. I'm fairly certain the overclocked shields, at least on the hammerhead, actually just removes the shields. An aurora took it out.

• o7

sovapid

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2018
RSI Handle
sovapid
I was in PU last night and was discussing the glitch with some folks. I'm fairly certain the overclocked shields, at least on the hammerhead, actually just removes the shields. An aurora took it out.
The bug i'm talking about is overclocked power plant effecting stealth/shields. I'm sure there are or bugs, as that doesn't sound right either. 😀

• o7

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Honestly, the circle strafing of 3.x and no penalty, coupled with the constant shifting of "this weapon is OP", along with the bugs and everything has me totally avoiding all dog-fighting.

I thought the value of the video was more in the "meta," i.e., these are factors you need to weigh before entering a fight (i.e., what are the enemies guns, what is my fuel, can I draw people out to fight me 1v1, etc.) as well as the thought process (only fighting when you know you can win, run away if you sustain any damage, etc.). In terms of dog-fighting, I can see that having a keyboard and mouse makes it easier to aim (he didn't seem to have any ESP bugs, like I do with joysticks...wtf?), but yeah, I'm hoping the new flight model takes into account more real-world physics.

Signing off as "desperately waiting for the new flight model" (even though I suck at dog fighting and don't plan on doing much in the real game)...

Will C.

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2017
RSI Handle
Mute_01
The flight model has changed many times over the years. Lots of people are expecting things to change dramatically and seem to think anything learned over time. At the end of the day the same concept will still be there
Getting your angles for your shots. Only thing that will change is how you get there

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm fairly certain the overclocked shields, at least on the hammerhead, actually just removes the shields. An aurora took it out.
Given how close this was to VD, perhaps the Hammerhead was feeling a little lonely & the small but rugged Aurora offered it a box of chocolates & a nice bottle of wine to get it to drop its shields?

Forgot your password?