Interesting occurrence at the Starfarer Wreck Site.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
So, thought I would try a few missions. Ya know, just something to do.

I pick up said mission to visit a Starfarer wreck site to pick up some cargo that had been insured. I cruise out to the wreck site and there are no pirates about, there is however, an Aurora already there, so I think "No big deal, just grab the box and go".

But there was all this debris floating around, crates of minerals, metals and gas containers. Why, that is a safety hazard, that is! All this stuff floating around like that.
So, being civic minded, and determined to do my civic duty as any good citizen should, I begin to do a bit of a clean up operation and load a few of this debris into my Death Penguin.

Suddenly I hear this popping sound. This guy is floating around, about 100 meters away, shooting at me...with his pistol... I am thinking "Really? A pistol?" He is seeing no effect, so he switches to his primary weapon and begins to fire away at me...with his submachine gun...

I decide to leave the poor mouthbreather alone, I mean he has issues, and is not the sharpest bowling ball at the bowling alley. I am starting to get into my Penguin, when I hear ship weapons fire. I am thinking to myself, "Okay, if he wants to scrap, then let's scrap". I notice however that the lasers I do see are not coming in my direction. Odd.

I get in the cockpit and fire up the engines. Instruments come up... Lo and Behold, this guy is now duking it out with a couple of pirates. Apparently, once he took aggressive action, it triggered something and he is now having to run away from these pirates. Hilarity! I plot a course to deliver the goods for my mission.

Which was borked and the guy would not talk to me. Also, upon returning to Port Oli, I find I cannot sell my salvage. It consisted of mostly minerals, some metal and a few gases.

But you know? It was kind of worth it, watching that guy try to deal with a "Learning Experience".

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Last night, I was back on the trail of recovering from my losses caused by a badly timed server crash & had just lifted off from the pad at 141 ArcCorp on Daymar with a 250aUEC load of hydrogen when a jerk in a connie decided to shoot & blow up my ship as I was still lifting off & my shields were starting to come up. I thought to myself that I hope that jerk chokes on realizing that he'd only gotten so little after kicking a guy that is down on his luck. That set me back to only 100 aUEC, but I TESTify that I didn't stop or give up as I logged off with having worked my way safely back up to just over 1k. IDK who that jerk was, but I'm sure that in time karma & several of you wonderful TESTies will return the favor without knowing it. Cheers to you my friends!

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Lol. I'm sure he'll go whine about pirate alliances that gang up on solo players. I once saw some guy on Reddit bragging about how he murdered an innocent guy who was doing cargo runs to grind money. He showed up at the Arccorp that the poster wanted to go to twice, before the poster arrived. The guy was so entitled that he blew up the innocent hauler simply for beating him to the place.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
You are probably right. The kicker is that he was loading up 1st. I waited patiently for him to be finished. When I went in, it was a good thing I was only looking to get hydrogen as he'd most likely cleaned out everything else. I wish I knew how to target his ship while coming in to have gotten his name to share here as well as to watch out for in the future.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
We should really try and remember people like this, I would love to have my Cutlass Red doing rescues and support roles so knowing these people would help me avoid unnecessary deaths for healing people and then being shot.

I am also a pirate so I WILL take savage revenge at every opportunity as well. :)

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I don't mind piracy, but shooting someone inside an armistice zone, from outside the armistice zone isn't piracy. Catch me with my pants around my ankles is fair game, but catch me when the game mechanic prevents me from even trying to defend myself is how coward's play.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
The funniest part to me, was him trying to hit me with a pistol or a SMG at that range. They only have a range of like 40 meters. Possibly if he had used a Sniper Rifle or Gallant, he might have had a chance of hitting me.

Are you sure the guy was a PC and not an NPC?
Well, I did see him jetpacking back and forth to his ship, not sure if NPC's do that. If so, this game is a damn sight slicker than I thought possible!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
those guys that interdict you are friendly ?
Obviously not friendly, but he's presuming they were PC's or players rather than NPC's or computer generated characters. Obviously though, there are hostile NPCs or there could be no pirates. That's why I am wondering if this was a player or a computer generated part of the mission.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Obviously not friendly, but he's presuming they were PC's or players rather than NPC's or computer generated characters. Obviously though, there are hostile NPCs or there could be no pirates. That's why I am wondering if this was a player or a computer generated part of the mission.
my point is - players are not able to interdict you yet .. so there are hostile npcs .. and thus I'm confused :)

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
There are hostile NPC ships, but no hostile NPCs on foot. That is what is going on. There are character models sitting in the badguy ships, but they are empty placeholders with no on-foot logic programmed in. Look at the NPCs at olisar for a clue as to why. (It rhymes with Fathpinding.....)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So there has been a statement since the 3.0 drop that there are still no bad-guy NPCs, or we still don't know what this was? That's why I'm asking. A bot could do all this.

Reactions: Talonsbane

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
So there has been a statement since the 3.0 drop that there are still no bad-guy NPCs, or we still don't know what this was? That's why I'm asking. A bot could do all this.
Have you seen the NPCs endlessly walking into the wall at olisar? The AI tech is most definitely not capable of the actions described yet. They have said before a couple times that NPC FPS combat did not make it into 3.0. If they are in there, they're an easter egg testing a more robust AI system than the other implemented NPCs

Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?