Into The Black - Steam Playtest is now live!

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd

I believe y'all have to request access:

Should be fun!

• Wut
Reactions: Deroth

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
At fist glance, it does not seem like anything interesting, but then they have some gaming dev veterans in there:

"The Impeller Studios team is led by industry veterans Jack Mamais (MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, Far Cry, and Crysis) and David Wessman (the X-Wing / TIE Fighter series, Blood Wake, and Saints Row). "

However, and here is the point of failure they need to be concerned about: If the game is focused on combat and catering to the PVP crowd, space sims are a tiny fraction of the gaming industry. PVP space sims are an even smaller fraction of that fraction. They are targeting a demographic that relatively small in gaming terms and very difficult to profit from.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
At fist glance, it does not seem like anything interesting, but then they have some gaming dev veterans in there:

"The Impeller Studios team is led by industry veterans Jack Mamais (MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, Far Cry, and Crysis) and David Wessman (the X-Wing / TIE Fighter series, Blood Wake, and Saints Row). "

However, and here is the point of failure they need to be concerned about: If the game is focused on combat and catering to the PVP crowd, space sims are a tiny fraction of the gaming industry. PVP space sims are an even smaller fraction of that fraction. They are targeting a demographic that relatively small in gaming terms and very difficult to profit from.
Certainly a niche within a niche within a niche haha but I met David a couple times and he's one of the most passionate guys ever just like myself lol so it doesn't really surprise me this is where they are at. Also, Mechwarrior Jack is pretty passionate about this stuff too.

And ofc, "Starfighter Inc" has been in development since basically a year or so after SC LOL.

TBH, I'll probably enjoy this much more than I'd enjoy Elite Dangerous "Combat".

• Wut

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Im not some veteran gaming developer from Xwing, but from what I can see from Star Citizen and our very own org, there are not enough hardcore PVP'ers out there to make that game a success.

They need to cater to the causal players and offer PVP as the icing on the cake.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Im not some veteran gaming developer from Xwing, but from what I can see from Star Citizen and our very own org, there are not enough hardcore PVP'ers out there to make that game a success.

They need to cater to the causal players and offer PVP as the icing on the cake.
I am really curious how they have been able to afford this passion project development too. I mean, I guess they all have good stocks from the 90's LOL, or something.

Anyone remember this one?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ueG3SZrTaI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWt2m1xtJbw

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

True...
I think this game, regardless on how much passionate the developer are, will be a flop. Sadly.
Most PvPer usually go for game like CS:GO, Fartnight and similar and for combat focus pilot there are alrady several games out there that can offer PvP combat AND something else.
I don't think this is not a good game, but it came into a small market without offering anything else that other game already offer, at lest from the trailer. For the same price, I'll take the one thatt offer me more possiblity rather then less...

• o7

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I am really curious how they have been able to afford this passion project development too. I mean, I guess they all have good stocks from the 90's LOL, or something.

Anyone remember this one?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ueG3SZrTaI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWt2m1xtJbw
I do, it was a free standalone TC of Freespace2 if I recall correctly, and thus a pretty good little space Sim. I think it's still available, if any of you haven't played it is worth a try imo. It's free after all..

Reactions: CitizenDad
Forgot your password?