IT view at the Star Citizen universe - what do you think

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Hi all, I was so impressed by the number and depth of responses to the "programming language" question, that I thought - for sure there is enough people in TEST who are interested in discussing / tackling different aspects of SC universe from IT / programming perspective ... something like streaming asteroirs and/or planets coordinates into some hadoop or other storage and analyse movement rules ... or work on effects of cooling, or just discussing some procedural generation glitches and possibilities to fix them .. and even "close to game" things like 2-tier authentication advancement yada yada yada.

I believe it will be boring for most of the people outside of IT, but at the same time - some guys would like it. So please - in case you're interested say - what are your ideas, and what would you think about being more or less permanent group to brain storm some

MFG,
Bruce

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Ouch 5 views only ... maybe offtopic is a wrong place ?
Get @Blind Owl to make a comment. He's got a million followers.

I personally like the idea of tagging mineral rich asteroids and swarming areas with mming equipment.

I'm not an IT type though. I once helped build a satellite receiver using a cell phone tower, a generator, and a satellite receiver.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Hi all, I was so impressed by the number and depth of responses to the "programming language" question, that I thought - for sure there is enough people in TEST who are interested in discussing / tackling different aspects of SC universe from IT / programming perspective ... something like streaming asteroirs and/or planets coordinates into some hadoop or other storage and analyse movement rules ... or work on effects of cooling, or just discussing some procedural generation glitches and possibilities to fix them .. and even "close to game" things like 2-tier authentication advancement yada yada yada.

I believe it will be boring for most of the people outside of IT, but at the same time - some guys would like it. So please - in case you're interested say - what are your ideas, and what would you think about being more or less permanent group to brain storm some

MFG,
Bruce
One thing i'll say about their current version of 2 step is that it is complete garbage... 2 step when it is done right requires a separate type of physical token either it be a Chipped card, encrypted fingerprint(can be replicated these days but still very hard), or my favorite the good old fashioned code generator(not your phone). If they locked everyone's accounts from gifting and forced anyone who wanted to change current credit card information or gift ships this would solve the biggest issue in SC atm which is hacked accounts. obviously they have been breeched and a lot of old account information is floating around. I already brought up the idea once to them but I think they ignored my suggestion which I expected it is what it is...

As for locations of stuff I'm not sure exactly how you would map that in a database as of right now they don't really have a "Coordinates" type of feature such as X and Y axis here just distance from one jump to the next. I mean it would be possible to do a type of distance type of database. ATM though I don't think a database like that would be really worth it until later. This could be setup pretty simply by making an call send type of SQL database. Also we would have to have someone verify the location and limited access to the database as erroneous information could make the database useless. You could expand out though and use this as an opportunity to make a list of cargo priceing and shop prices at the same time in the same database though.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
One thing i'll say about their current version of 2 step is that it is complete garbage... 2 step when it is done right requires a separate type of physical token either it be a Chipped card, encrypted fingerprint(can be replicated these days but still very hard), or my favorite the good old fashioned code generator(not your phone).
And possibility of this being actually true is one of the reasons to discuss the story. Still I honestly hope that they are using some metrixes of your activities as analogy of encripted fingerprint ( don't forget that they have one huge advantage over "typical" system - they could allow suspect to get access of the account and do some harm, and after that ban him, and restore account to the exact state it had before w/o even alerting the owner :)

As for locations of stuff I'm not sure exactly how you would map that in a database as of right now they don't really have a "Coordinates" type of feature such as X and Y axis here just distance from one jump to the next.
in 3 rimentional space it is either X,Y,Z or two angles and one distance .. It could be that saving function of angles and distance is cheaper (even though I doubt it), but hey .. that's another topic for discussion :)

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'm commenting. I have zero zilch nadda in the way of programming knowledge: but I do cook a mean steak and drink beer like a champ.
DERAIL!! god what I would do for some steak and beer though

in 3 rimentional space it is either X,Y,Z or two angles and one distance .. It could be that saving function of angles and distance is cheaper (even though I doubt it), but hey .. that's another topic for discussion :slight_smile:
Lol sorry I got lazy and I was thinking of planets as that will be a much more exploration kind of deal.

Vindictive69

Commander
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Vindictive69
One thing i'll say about their current version of 2 step is that it is complete garbage... 2 step when it is done right requires a separate type of physical token either it be a Chipped card, encrypted fingerprint(can be replicated these days but still very hard), or my favorite the good old fashioned code generator(not your phone). If they locked everyone's accounts from gifting and forced anyone who wanted to change current credit card information or gift ships this would solve the biggest issue in SC atm which is hacked accounts. obviously they have been breeched and a lot of old account information is floating around. I already brought up the idea once to them but I think they ignored my suggestion which I expected it is what it is...

As for locations of stuff I'm not sure exactly how you would map that in a database as of right now they don't really have a "Coordinates" type of feature such as X and Y axis here just distance from one jump to the next. I mean it would be possible to do a type of distance type of database. ATM though I don't think a database like that would be really worth it until later. This could be setup pretty simply by making an call send type of SQL database. Also we would have to have someone verify the location and limited access to the database as erroneous information could make the database useless. You could expand out though and use this as an opportunity to make a list of cargo priceing and shop prices at the same time in the same database though.
When you say phone are you including the RSI authenticator app you can use with that?
Im sure a list of beacons and what they mark would be doable for Org business.
I do like the idea of an updated list of prices for major markets.. would be sweet.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
When you say phone are you including the RSI authenticator app you can use with that?
Yes I am including the RSI authenticator app. Phones are very easy to hack these days and most people do not have antivirus on their own phones. there are a lot of ways a hacker could access your RSI authenticator which is why I do not fully trust the application. Yes it is better than nothing and much better than having your 2 step via email address. With this said it is still not enough security in my opinion.

I do like the idea of an updated list of prices for major markets.. would be sweet.
The best way for this to happen would be someone runs several characters afk or running stand to stand in a space station planet at different sale stands(auction houses) via an external script. I don't think this would be very effective due to the cost on how many accounts you would have to run to get all the major stations. Not to mention if something small happens like you bump into someone and it disrupts the actions of the script it would cause the updater to fail or put incorrect information into the database. There are smarter ways to write a script but you would really have to get technical. The other way would be to data mine the server which isn't a good idea as the server can think you are trying to hack it and your account becomes banned. The last way would be manual input which is the most reliable but not accurate and fast as it would require a player to physically go stand to stand and physically update the database manually. @Xist can you think of a better way to do that type of thing.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So I guess we already identify the reason why you have to be part of the club, and where club's HQ will be :slight_smile:
Our door is always open. And we live close to all the good things. Swimming, camping, beer, beef, NY state . . .
Mineral (especially toxic) rich players MUST be harvested by all means.
Haha,I fucking love how we adopt every single slur thrown at us.
Corporate efficiency
Toxic
Ivy League
to name the newest ones. Haha

Daak Seed

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
daak-seed
The last way would be manual input which is the most reliable but not accurate and fast as it would require a player to physically go stand to stand and physically update the database manually. @Xist can you think of a better way to do that type of thing.
Manual entry through in-game chat-bot? Org players are asked from time to time a question about their location followed by 1 or 2 questions about prices for particular commodities. Similarly, trusted???(ha-ha-ha) org players may post to chat their location, commodity, price. Database gets updated.

assumption: chat-bots functionality will be supported

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Manual entry through in-game chat-bot? Org players are asked from time to time a question about their location followed by 1 or 2 questions about prices for particular commodities. Similarly, trusted???(ha-ha-ha) org players may post to chat their location, commodity, price. Database gets updated.

assumption: chat-bots functionality will be supported
In this case the database would have to be embeded into the website either way the data would be outdated. I'm not a big fan of manual input it gets in the way of your day to day gameplay. It has to be automated to really make it efficient or extracted from data you receive. now if we ran a third party script which could mine the data from incomming packages which tell prices when you talk to a shopkeeper or auction house however they decide to do it that would be the winning ticket. I'm definately not good at mining data from incomming packets and usually the packages these days come encrypted(unless its an amatuer company). in that case it would be extremely hard. you would have to analyze several sets of the same packages with minor changes.(aka constantly talk to the shopkeeper over and over while collecting packages) even then it would be difficult depending how the data comes in. I could analyze the packages but i'm no good at mining data from incomming packages you would need an expert for that.(not to mention im way out of practice as i havnt touched anything in any manner in about 5 years or so.) it takes alot of patience and a good team to really do mining well. If accomplished well though you can make some huge breakthroughs.

Forgot your password?