Joystick talk.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I've been looking at some joystick for SC and so far I found this to be okay for basic flight it looks great and base on some reviews it feels great in hands,I'd like to know you guys opinion. https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=5
Cart shows as empty, maybe a link to the actual product?
Also, another member here is trying to get rid of his joysticks, might be worth a look if you are on a budget.
https://testsquadron.com/threads/thrustmaster-kit-dual-16000-pedals-and-gears-of-war-collectibles-for-sale.11977/#post-218491

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Oiy.
I use two Thrustmaster 16000mmmmM. Two. One fir each hand
It's got a left/right conversion.
But before a major purchase check out

View: https://youtu.be/5pGkORJhwdY

and read up a bit more. I also have the 3D whatchamacallit. I since upgraded to those thrusters. But it was a good practice stick eh.
@TheNOOBIFIER1337 has great videos on it all and also break down on the different setups.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
This is my controller story:

I went from a 360 controller to an

X52 and was blown away by the immersion it brought but after awhile it just wasnt precise enough for me.

So bought a Thrustmaster t16000m and loved the precision but wasnt fond of the buttons. Fire button didnt always register for me and side buttons were useless in combat.

Tried x52 stick left and t16000m right with fire bound the x52. That worked pretty well, had lots of buttons on the left but it was too bulky on my desk.

For some reason I decided I needed a second T16000m on the left and then use voice-attack to make up for lack of buttons.

Still had the fire button issue with both sticks (probably my crooked fingers) so started looking for alternatives.

Got the Airrow Speedlink (Cheaper VKB Gladiator European version) and it just didnt have enough buttons. (In dual stick setup).

Managed to get an X65F (with the motion sensor) but wasnt able (or didnt put enough time in it) to get used to it. Great stick though.

Finally I got a really good deal on a warthog (stick only) with track IR and even though Im not a fan of the aggressive centering it really is the best stick Ive used. So far.

My current setup is:

T16000m left for forward/backwards/left/right strafe
Warthog right
G27 pedals for up and down

Im looking at the Virpil base now, its very customizable and has metal gimbals (Warthog has plastic ones). Plus you can use the warthog stick on it.
Also thinking about getting a throttle for 'normal flight' like MarcSand2 has in his sick cockpit.

Edit: The stick I still want to get my hands on is the VKB Black Mamba MkIII but havent found one yet :slight_smile:

Ohhh and just discovered this one:
https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-gunfighter-revb-mcg-pro
https://vkbcontrollers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/MCG-Announce-Final-1.jpg

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Also thinking about getting a throttle for 'normal flight' like MarcSand2 has in his sick cockpit.

Take 2 Warthog flightsticks (you get used to the left handed right hand stick until the left handed conversion gets available), a Warthog Throttle and some decent rudder pedals. If the plastic Warthog gimbal finally starts to break down, buy some Virpil gimbals. or buy some Virpil sticks to start with.

You never will have any lack of buttons.

View: https://imgur.com/1ujkc8M

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
I have been on the search for some time now and ended up buyng a warthog for testing. After watching all of noobifiers videos, the danger of the hogs plastic gimbal "ball" breaking down after around 3 years got to me. Also, the pinky button really enerved me with my resting hand (felt like something was in the way all the time).

https://virpil.by/en/shop/special/vpc-mongoost-50-dual-stick-noobifier1337-bundle

So i wrote a mail to Virpil, asking if their resting hand holder (which can be lifted up or down) would eliminate my problem with the pinky finger. They told me, that their button is actually not as much in the way and can also be removed manually.

So all in all, the Virpil option is a) less expensive when used with dual sticks), b) more resistant, c) can potentially solve the pinky finger problem and d) comes with -50$ when bought from the noobifier link.

I ordered my set yesterday and am quite excited to test them out.

Last edited:

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Update on the Virpil flight sticks [order and money transfer]:

Virpil sent me a total sum listed on my order. I had to contact a special accountant, as the company is not located in Europe. After filling in all the information, i was told that there will be a transfer fee incoming, which is usually paid by both sides equally. I sent the money over.

A day later, Virpil contacted me and stated, that 25€ were missing from the total sum. The transfer costs were subtracted from the original sum. I now have to transfer the missing 25€ and pay another fee on top of that.

This concludes, that Virpil is a pretty new and unprofessional company; 1) they denied shared transfer fee payment, 2) they did not inform the customer (me) about this beforehand, 3) they did not mention any occuring fee in their order and 4) they even stated in the second mail, that the missing money "usually happens due to transfer costs" = they were aware of the problem.

This could have been prevented completely, by giving the customer a heads up about incoming transfer costs and the information, that the customer has to pay all occruing costs by himself, which are not listed in the total order sum. With this, the transaction could have been done smoothly.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I have been on the search for some time now and ended up buyng a warthog for testing. After watching all of noobifiers videos, the danger of the hogs plastic gimbal "ball" breaking down after around 3 years got to me. Also, the pinky button really enerved me with my resting hand (felt like something was in the way all the time).

https://virpil.by/en/shop/special/vpc-mongoost-50-dual-stick-noobifier1337-bundle

So i wrote a mail to Virpil, asking if their resting hand holder (which can be lifted up or down) would eliminate my problem with the pinky finger. They told me, that their button is actually not as much in the way and can also be removed manually.

So all in all, the Virpil option is a) less expensive when used with dual sticks), b) more resistant, c) can potentially solve the pinky finger problem and d) comes with -50$ when bought from the noobifier link.

I ordered my set yesterday and am quite excited to test them out.
I use dual mongoose t50s by Virpil and I must say that they are the best I've ever used. They come with 3 cams and 3 springs to adjust your feel. You can even put different springs and cams on different axises. The different cams change the resistance as you get towards the edge. There's a smooth linear one, a standard one, and one with high resistance.

The buttons are so responsive and the lower pinky button never gets in my way. I use the hand brakes for roll and it works out well.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Update on the Virpil flight sticks [order and money transfer]:

Virpil sent me a total sum listed on my order. I had to contact a special accountant, as the company is not located in Europe. After filling in all the information, i was told that there will be a transfer fee incoming, which is usually paid by both sides equally. I sent the money over.

A day later, Virpil contacted me and stated, that 25€ were missing from the total sum. The transfer costs were subtracted from the original sum. I now have to transfer the missing 25€ and pay another fee on top of that.

This concludes, that Virpil is a pretty new and unprofessional company; 1) they denied shared transfer fee payment, 2) they did not inform the customer (me) about this beforehand, 3) they did not mention any occuring fee in their order and 4) they even stated in the second mail, that the missing money "usually happens due to transfer costs" = they were aware of the problem.

This could have been prevented completely, by giving the customer a heads up about incoming transfer costs and the information, that the customer has to pay all occruing costs by himself, which are not listed in the total order sum. With this, the transaction could have been done smoothly.
I had to wait a month for my sticks to ship even though they were 'in stock'. They are a small and new company, so their service isn't the greatest at that part, but their product is great.

Some people were complaining that their cams were not 100% smooth and Virpil checked their products and found that a small number of them had flaws. They sent out new cams to everyone who complained and replaced any non perfect cam they could find in their warehouse. This delayed orders by a month, including mine, but they are determined to ship a good product.

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
they are determined to ship a good product.
I do believe so, yes. That is why i also wrote the feedback posted in here, to them. This minor adjustments are easy to do but deal a negative blow when not addressed.

From noobifiers review - which i highly recommend to watch, as he is extremely on point and well informed - the Virpil sticks are the best you can get currently for a fair price.

(link)

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I do believe so, yes. That is why i also wrote the feedback posted in here, to them. This minor adjustments are easy to do but deal a negative blow when not addressed.

From noobifiers review - which i highly recommend to watch, as he is extremely on point and well informed - the Virpil sticks are the best you can get currently for a fair price.

(link)
Bought mine back in August. Well worth the money. I should have waited though, then.I could have used Noobifier's discount code, lol.

He points out everything that I like about them. I still need to swap out my cams for the linear ones. 4 different hex keys makes opening them a pain, ha.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Oiy.
I use two Thrustmaster 16000mmmmM. Two. One fir each hand
It's got a left/right conversion.

This is what I have as well. I think I spent $50 each on sale. I had every intention of going all the way to a high end joystick, but stopped at the TM's. I got everything I wanted out of them without the potentially 4 figure price tag. They are plenty sensitive, reliable, have enough buttons, and you get a z twist on both. I personally really like that last one.

Now, I really like dual joysticks. I like them because it just feels perfect for the type of flight SC offers. I tried many other control types, but dual sticks is the only way for me. It does come at a potential cost though. It's too early to tell for sure. However, you really should think carefully before you invest large sums into a dual joystick setup.

The reason is, you might be completely outgunned at release. That's because of the insurmountable chasm between console and PC. I'm talking about shooters. Console shooters use joysticks to aim. This is absolutely not the best method for aiming. As a result, most console shooters offer some sort of aim assist to help with the difficulty curve. There is also a noticeable difference in the pace of the game. Consoles give you far more time to react to an opponent. This is due to aiming. It takes time to drag your crosshairs across the screen with a joystick.

PC though, is very much point and click. You can whip your mouse all over the place and it takes a fraction of the time that it does with joysticks. PC shooters run at a far, far faster pace and can be completely unforgiving. It is because of this difference that shooters have never (to my knowledge, ever) combined PC players with console players. The PC players would stomp a mudhole in the console players and the public outcry would be huge. It just won't work.

Now in comes Star Citizen and their amazing ships. Flying them around with dual joysticks is just absolutely amazing. It feels like it was meant to be and for me, was totally intuitive. The problem is, you are left with joysticks to aim. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for gimbals. With gimbals, you have the ability to point and click just like a PC shooter. You put the two in the same space now and the results are obvious. With matching levels of skill, the mouse controlled gimbals will win against dual joysticks every time. It's all about the fly by mouse option. Your gimbals control your direction of flight. It almost feels like cheating.

Like I said though. There's a lot of balancing to come. The game is far from complete. However, you should definitely consider this issue prior to pouring yourself into an expensive flight setup. I personally would hate to have a $1,000 plus flight system only to get owned by some kid with a keyboard and mouse. Every game has a meta and forces players to conform if they want to compete. I can only hope SC turns out to be different.

Forgot your password?