Just upgraded to windows 10

Draygus

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Draygus
So Just upgraded to windows 10 and so far so good. Everything works. If you have any questions I will try to answer. Ill update if i find anything broken.

Devastat3

Grand Admiral
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Devastat3
had a few issues with the wifes computer but nothing tragic... all driver related issues though overall pretty painless..

Gstar Nova

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Gstar Nova
Up graded to 10 4 days ago. Have had issues with shutting down- had to manually or hard shut down, would not go into sleep mode, would hang at start up, had to use the case boost button to re-start/re-load. Just down loaded a patch seems most of the issues have been fix., wait and see.
10 did fix 1 issue I have had for a long time with windows 7. Had to manually activate the gigabit network connector each time at start now its okay.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Make sure YOU DISABLE M$ callback crap.
Options that send your data back to M$ so they can analyze, make AD revenue and other nastiness.

Read this and follow through please.

Other than these default settings which are horrendous in my book, Windows 10 is DA BOMB.
Very stable and fast experience so far, I must say.

Gstar Nova

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Gstar Nova
Update...... kept having problem with startup and shut down with windows 10 plus a few programs hanging. I am back using windows 7 and happy I did a U turn. I'm sure 10 will be a good OS just not now for me.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
When installing Apps make sure you install using admin rights, especially when running steam, or when installing apps on steam make sure you have admin rights, or some of the visual basic packages might not install properly.
If your modifying hardware, do not forget to disable DSE. Also, I think there are issues with some types of Optimus working, so you might want to stick to dedicated modes for your main GPU.
As for DX12, forget it, its not really being used yet, for the witcher 3 fans you will want 352.85 or 353.17 or later drivers but I wouldn't recommend going further. (nVidia of course)

You can disable Cortana.
You should know that to change some major settings you will have to go to "recovery" and advanced - like you did in windows 8 to change settings.
Also, for people with MEI on a intel chipset (like z97 etc..), you might need to update to the latest firware or maybe you will have sound issues or other on-board hardware issues.

If you want to bring back some menu's to startup, like you had in windows 7 do this :

open up a command prompt / type CMD into the search field, and run the command prompt with admin

type "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy"

Reboot, you should now have that option..like hitting F7 to disable DSE or like F3 or whatever for safemode with networking etc..

for those of you who have a UEFI version of windows 10 on a USb disk and it does not see your harddrives when your trying to install via USB etc..

you can format your drives to the right type ( i.e GPT partition..instead of legacy's old MBR system)

when windows is at the setup screen (you know before you even selected to "INSTALL Windows")
Hit "F10 + Shift"

this should allow you to bring up a command prompt.

from there do the following :

diskpart
(it will ask to select the disk)
diskpart > list disk
diskpart>select disk x
diskpart>clean
diskpart>convert>
EXIT

Install windows now and you should see the harddrive, this erases all mixed partitions on it, fixes errors and gets rid of the pesky hard to get rid of MBR file system that you may have been using since XP days...

these are common issues Ive seen people needing to know, if there are any other issues I can help with, maybe Ive run into them a hundred dozen times and know a fix. if not, google is always your friend.

hope this stuff helps.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Update...... kept having problem with startup and shut down with windows 10 plus a few programs hanging. I am back using windows 7 and happy I did a U turn. I'm sure 10 will be a good OS just not now for me.
You must have an older computer and I bet it has an AMD CPU. :)

Gstar Nova

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Gstar Nova
Mine is about 2 1/2 - 3 years old has a Corsiar 100 liquid cooled i7-3820 @3.60 GHz running a separate liquid cooled dual 7970's with a third soon to be installed. Not sure if this is the problem or maybe I do not have the IOS on its own hard drive. At any rate I'll wait awhile to reinstall 10 see no reason to be in a hurry.
When installing Apps make sure you install using admin rights, especially when running steam, or when installing apps on steam make sure you have admin rights, or some of the visual basic packages might not install properly.
If your modifying hardware, do not forget to disable DSE. Also, I think there are issues with some types of Optimus working, so you might want to stick to dedicated modes for your main GPU.
As for DX12, forget it, its not really being used yet, for the witcher 3 fans you will want 352.85 or 353.17 or later drivers but I wouldn't recommend going further. (nVidia of course)

You can disable Cortana.
You should know that to change some major settings you will have to go to "recovery" and advanced - like you did in windows 8 to change settings.
Also, for people with MEI on a intel chipset (like z97 etc..), you might need to update to the latest firware or maybe you will have sound issues or other on-board hardware issues.

If you want to bring back some menu's to startup, like you had in windows 7 do this :

open up a command prompt / type CMD into the search field, and run the command prompt with admin

type "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy"

Reboot, you should now have that option..like hitting F7 to disable DSE or like F3 or whatever for safemode with networking etc..

for those of you who have a UEFI version of windows 10 on a USb disk and it does not see your harddrives when your trying to install via USB etc..

you can format your drives to the right type ( i.e GPT partition..instead of legacy's old MBR system)

when windows is at the setup screen (you know before you even selected to "INSTALL Windows")
Hit "F10 + Shift"

this should allow you to bring up a command prompt.

from there do the following :

diskpart
(it will ask to select the disk)
diskpart > list disk
diskpart>select disk x
diskpart>clean
diskpart>convert>
EXIT

Install windows now and you should see the harddrive, this erases all mixed partitions on it, fixes errors and gets rid of the pesky hard to get rid of MBR file system that you may have been using since XP days...

these are common issues Ive seen people needing to know, if there are any other issues I can help with, maybe Ive run into them a hundred dozen times and know a fix. if not, google is always your friend.

hope this stuff helps.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim

sparks

Captain
Sep 18, 2014
RSI Handle
sparxxx
i did too only problem is my cd drive disappeared not even in device manager i dont know what to do wait till thay fix the problem i know im not the only one

im a horrible speller i know

Darquesse

Space Marshal
May 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Darquesse
How deep is Cortana? I am planning to start using voice attack for Star Citizen voice commands, and I'm wondering if Cortana is compatible. I just want to hear Jen Taylor agree with my commands to lock missiles or launch flares... Is this possible, or will I have to deal with a more generic voice than Cortana?

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Mine is about 2 1/2 - 3 years old has a Corsiar 100 liquid cooled i7-3820 @3.60 GHz running a separate liquid cooled dual 7970's with a third soon to be installed. Not sure if this is the problem or maybe I do not have the IOS on its own hard drive. At any rate I'll wait awhile to reinstall 10 see no reason to be in a hurry.
Very similar to my setup. [email protected](H80i), Crossfire HD7970. OS is on single SSD.

I did have USB issues (Keyboard and mouse not recognised at startup), this seems mostly resolved.
did have a few power issues and the odd freeze up, seems okay now.

I think I'll have to blame some bent USB header pins and some issues with my storage controller.

Nothing but good things to say about Win10 since disabling all the nonsense. I forget it isn't Win7.

Much more stable for overclocking too.

Forgot your password?