ROC DS (AKA ROC 2.0)

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Just stumbled upon this wideo of SC Leak abount a possible ROC 2.0 or, to be more precise, a bigger version of the ROC called ROC DS (and no, is not a Nintendo version...):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO55Kh9_cTI

According to this video what we'll going to see is a ROC version much more similar to the initial concept presented during 2019 CitizenCon, with 6 wheels, a sealed cabin and a "copilot" seat (DS-> double seats???) that will be in charge of handling the minig laser... just like the Ursa have a second seat for manning the turret.
It will be larger OFC and it will have, very likely, a bigger minable storage, but it will appear to have the same size mining laser (S0), so only able to mine ROC-size rocks.

I'm not sure about this thing...
Having a larger minable container is a plus for a ship, but for the ROC is uninfluent since you ccould just dump the whole cargo into a box and keep going on...
It will be an interesting option if that new ROC DS will have a S1 mining laser, open the possibility to mine small ship-rocks without the needs to have eitther a Prospector or a MOLE and it will be an interesting option especially considered the upcoming caves... but with a S0... meh.... could be worth only for cave exploration allowing players to spend more time in there without worry about tempratures and oxigen reserve...

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Just stumbled upon this wideo of SC Leak abount a possible ROC 2.0 or, to be more precise, a bigger version of the ROC called ROC DS (and no, is not a Nintendo version...):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO55Kh9_cTI

According to this video what we'll going to see is a ROC version much more similar to the initial concept presented during 2019 CitizenCon, with 6 wheels, a sealed cabin and a "copilot" seat (DS-> double seats???) that will be in charge of handling the minig laser... just like the Ursa have a second seat for manning the turret.
It will be larger OFC and it will have, very likely, a bigger minable storage, but it will appear to have the same size mining laser (S0), so only able to mine ROC-size rocks.

I'm not sure about this thing...
Having a larger minable container is a plus for a ship, but for the ROC is uninfluent since you ccould just dump the whole cargo into a box and keep going on...
It will be an interesting option if that new ROC DS will have a S1 mining laser, open the possibility to mine small ship-rocks without the needs to have eitther a Prospector or a MOLE and it will be an interesting option especially considered the upcoming caves... but with a S0... meh.... could be worth only for cave exploration allowing players to spend more time in there without worry about tempratures and oxigen reserve...
Interesting find, but I do agree that a second seat and a little bigger hold feels unnecessary. Also if it's bigger, it needs the bigger ship to ferry it, which means you already had more money cos you bought a bigger ship than a cuttlas black. So why would you go mine on the ground instead of just buying a Prospector?
Unless they create an environment where you can use this but not a Prospector for the same or preferably higher gains, and you can use the extra cargo space, I don't really see a point.
Also if it's mining in a place where only a ROC1.0 or DS can fit, than an URSA can fit as well to carry the cargo, so no need for a DS, you could just bring a simple ROC +1 friend with an URSA to unload the rocks into. That would be much much more efficient. If there is environmental hazards the closed cockpit would help with, you can just work in shifts with your friend and drive the URSA for a bit to recover, than switch places again.

What I'd like to see though, is that with this larger version, they should make it possible to attach wagons behind it, like a small train to carry the rocks, so you could mine for much much longer in caverns! Have like 4-8 of these ROC2.0 trains loaded into a Hercules or similar big ship, and you could have a serious ground mining op with lots of players!

Reactions: Szioul and Cugino83

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Here a video of what appear to be the ROC DS:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTt8fm5Tx8

err.... why that thing??
I mean if the main rason for aving a bigger ROC with an enclosed cab was too favor the deep cave exploration withtout need to warry about enviromental suite and oxigen... why the hell make the miner seat exposed??
I whould have expeceted a vehicle more similar with the Ursa with two seats insidea of a cabin and a minig arm on the side...not just a ROC with an additional wheels set and a seat straped to the side...

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That looks dumb, almost dumb enough to be fake.
I'm guessing they needed this for maybe some SQ42 mission or sumthin? Or it has some secret feature that makes it more than just an oversized roc with a very dumb chair on the side?

Reactions: vahadar

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I'm guessing they needed this for maybe some SQ42 mission or sumthin? Or it has some secret feature that makes it more than just an oversized roc with a very dumb chair on the side?
Well the first leak of the ROC was correct and accurate... but yes I see this solutiona bit silly and corner-cutting...
On the needing of a bigger ROC... well it could be interesting especially while looking at the new cave entrance/system, it fit nice in the situation, it just need to have a meaningfull improvement on the standard one, and not just a closed cabin for the dirver and a bigger cargo space imho.

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
This. The side chair is dumb :) Pilot will relax in his closed cabin while the poor miner will freeze/burn to death hardworking on this open side chair :) let's call the miners union!

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
I think it's ridiculous, if this is the STF "ship" for 3.13 instead of the 400i I will be very disappointed. Stupid mining junk

Reactions: vahadar

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Here a video of what appear to be the ROC DS:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTt8fm5Tx8

err.... why that thing??
I mean if the main rason for aving a bigger ROC with an enclosed cab was too favor the deep cave exploration withtout need to warry about enviromental suite and oxigen... why the hell make the miner seat exposed??
I whould have expeceted a vehicle more similar with the Ursa with two seats insidea of a cabin and a minig arm on the side...not just a ROC with an additional wheels set and a seat straped to the side...
I see it now...solo miner jumping out to get into the driver seat after filling the hold....ROC sliding away, then rolling down a hill. It hits a rock and rolls then lands upright...jump back in, move it and to return to your ship.....it explodes.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I figured we'd see another mining rover. But why not just upgrade the ROC to this model? This model looks like what the ROC should have been, IMHO.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
The ROC DS may have the mining laser and operator seat be extended on the arm to mine in openings up high, or lower it into some cavern. However, the same could be achieved by a camera on the mining arm, so that the operator could control the laser like you can control the turret form the pilot seat on the Super Hornet.

What would make sense as a ROC DS is a Ballista or larger sized vehicle with a driver and a laser operator. Then there may be some variants with a larger laser controlled by the operator and a collecting arm controlled by the driver to speed things up. Or a smaller laser controlled by the driver and a larger one controlled by the operator. This vehicle could probably have a sort of living area with a bed, kitchen and a toilet. Basically a more autonomous and larger vehicle. Otherwise, it's not much point in it. It would make sense if there was a competitor vehicle in the same size, like a MISC WORM (Wireless/Wire Operated Rock Miner), which let's say could be paired with a Freelancer of a certain type, and you could control the WORM from inside the Freelancer.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Would be interesting if it had both a S0 and S1 so you could mine either type of rock. Not sure how they'd handle the cargo module though, maybe a main hold for big stuff and a secondary smaller hatch for the hand minables.

I might spend actual cash for one of those. The ROC as it stands is a nice money maker, but it's less than 200k and easy to get. I do hate that open cabin too!

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Sadly that immage is true...

and for this time I've to agree with the spectrum users complaining about it...
Aestetically is very good, but for a gameplay prospective doesn't make any sense... worst thing is, for me if CIG has opted to the same design whtout the exteral second seat it whould be a must have

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Sadly that immage is true...

and for this time I've to agree with the spectrum users complaining about it...
Aestetically is very good, but for a gameplay prospective doesn't make any sense... worst thing is, for me if CIG has opted to the same design whtout the exteral second seat it whould be a must have

LOL, external seat is a horrible design. Although if the driver seat is also exposed to the elements then I guess it doesn't matter much. But damn, what's wrong with a ground vehicle that can hold people inside without a suit?

Also, they've said we shouldn't be able to use heavier armors while in seats. So does that mean we can't wear the environmental suits? Those things are super bulky. Do we just land the ship right beside the node and mine from the ramp? Might need a Rover or G12 to accompany if you want to mine inside a cold/hot cave.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
LOL, external seat is a horrible design. Although if the driver seat is also exposed to the elements then I guess it doesn't matter much. But damn, what's wrong with a ground vehicle that can hold people inside without a suit?

Also, they've said we shouldn't be able to use heavier armors while in seats. So does that mean we can't wear the environmental suits? Those things are super bulky. Do we just land the ship right beside the node and mine from the ramp? Might need a Rover or G12 to accompany if you want to mine inside a cold/hot cave.
Good questions. They really should have just made it a two seater inside the cab. Its the same question as to why when it comes to the Mole with the two external seats.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Am I the only one that would be interested in a large/slow ground vehicle that needs to either be brought in pieces and assembled as needed?
Kind of like a sand crawler or some kind of huge moving base lol
Would give the Pioneer another job I suppose.

Reactions: Gucci
Forgot your password?