• Total voters

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Alright ladies and gents, discussion time:

What fighters do you consider to be light/medium/heavy, and why (what in your opinion makes a fighter light/medium/heavy)? And what is your personal favourite in each category.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist, not by choice, when it come to how I rate a fighters scale. For me, a fighter's scale is about how much punishment she can give and take. Usually a 'heavy' will dish out more and take, at the expense of maneuverability . I hope some of you have different opinions, and I want to hear them. I want to break my minds mold, as it were.

Edit - Epiphany: Or am looking at it all wrong? Is there no such thing as medium light and heavy? Is that an antiquated idea from games long past (Freelancer?)

Help me TEST Squadron, you're my only hope.

Lets play.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I personally consider the Bucky to be a light fighter, due to the nimbly bimbly aspect of the ship, and how fragile she is. But she hits hard, so there's that. I also think the Hurricane is a light (I think that's what I think), due to her glass cannon status.

For me the Sabre and Super Hornet fall in to the medium category, both well rounded ships that have decent firepower, maneuverability, and durability.

And the Warden falls squarely into heavy territory.

Ok, so as my epiphany above says: am I looking at this all wrong? do fighters even fall in to these categories? Or am living in the past?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Your mom's a Heavy fighter! Haha! ZING!
Actually, at 70 years old, after being a Registered Nurse, a Psych Nurse (in the 60's), a Railroader, and a mother of 3 boys. . .yeah, you fucking rights she's a heavy fighter. The woman can kick some serious fucking ass.

Kudos Grimbli, I'll pass on your compliment in the AM. She's here visiting right meow.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
My favorites from each category are
Light: Khartu-al
Medium: Vanduul Glaive
Heavy: Buccanear
So you consider the Buccaneer a heavy? Interesting. Can you tell me why?

Edit: in my mind, I'd reverse the Glaive and the Bucky. But that's just how my mind works. That's the mold I'm trying to break.

Reactions: A.Santos and StdDev

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
So you consider the Buccaneer a heavy? Interesting. Can you tell me why?

Edit: in my mind, I'd reverse the Glaive and the Bucky. But that's just how my mind works. That's the mold I'm trying to break.
When we think in terms of what makes a ship light medium or heavy we need to think in the aspect of power. Yeah it doesn't have any armor and its fast but it packs a punch with the stupid amount of guns you can put on it. Now lets look at the khartu-al, it can take a heavy beating because the shield is stupid strong but it has 2 S3 guns it cant really hurt anything quickly its all about being fast outmaneuver never get hit and ping at your target that is more of a light fighters job.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
My take on light/medium/heavy is mostly in the defense department.

But there's also the offense which must be taken into account. Such as Stinger, Striker, and Destroyer.

So the Buccaneer is a Light Striker.
But the Hurricane is a Light Destroyer.
The Hornet is a Medium Striker.
Not too many Heavy Stingers though.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
When we think in terms of what makes a ship light medium or heavy we need to think in the aspect of power. Yeah it doesn't have any armor and its fast but it packs a punch with the stupid amount of guns you can put on it. Now lets look at the khartu-al, it can take a heavy beating because the shield is stupid strong but it has 2 S3 guns it cant really hurt anything quickly its all about being fast outmaneuver never get hit and ping at your target that is more of a light fighters job.
Ok. I like it. See, this is what I'm talking about. Changing the way I think. Maybe there is no light/heavy/medium. Maybe, just maybe, there is no spoon.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

But there's also the offense which must be taken into account. Such as Stinger, Striker, and Destroyer.

Oh please do so explain Stinger/Striker/Destroyer concept.

Reactions: A.Santos and StdDev

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Oh please do so explain Stinger/Striker/Destroyer concept.
Stingers are similar to little bees (like me!) They come along and can get you, but it doesn't hurt much, not much firepower. It just stings.

Strikers know what they're doing. They can punch you hard and it hurts. They can do a lot of damage or a little. Like a strike to the arm or a strike to the throat.

Destroyers are beasts. They don't need to bother with where they hit you, they know you're going down! Let one get a few shots off and you'll get destroyed!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Stingers are similar to little bees (like me!) They come along and can get you, but it doesn't hurt much, not much firepower. It just stings.

Strikers know what they're doing. They can punch you hard and it hurts. They can do a lot of damage or a little. Like a strike to the arm or a strike to the throat.

Destroyers are beasts. They don't need to bother with where they hit you, they know you're going down! Let one get a few shots off and you'll get destroyed!
Ok, makes sense. The Khartu-Al would be a stinger: fast as fuck, but sucks at throwing as punch.

Strikers and Destroyers are what I want.

Reactions: A.Santos

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

With defensive ships its a different type of category in my oppion Id have to put them in another ship class not fighters there job is to defed thus the category of Defenders. Usually defensive ships don't have much firepower but they can take hit after hit and those little peon strikes do nothing to them so they will never win the fight due to the defensive capabilities. Here are some of my favorite defenders
Light: Reliant Tana
Medium: Cutlass Blue
Heavy: Defender

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
With defensive ships its a different type of category in my oppion Id have to put them in another ship class not fighters there job is to defed thus the category of Defenders. Usually defensive ships don't have much firepower but they can take hit after hit and those little peon strikes do nothing to them so they will never win the fight due to the defensive capabilities. Here are some of my favorite defenders
Light: Reliant Tana
Medium: Cutlass Blue
Heavy: Defender
Excellent. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Let the ships flow through you!

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Ill make my decision when most systems are inplemented I guess. Whats the TTK, how important or useful will eject seats be, armor etc.

For now Ill just stick with the super hornet :slight_smile:

edit: Im hoping the vanguard will get some loving, still my favorite ship

Forgot your password?