"Limited" ships upon release

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
I've been posting a lot to gather up information from the knowledgeable Testies, after doing research and not finding answers on my own, so I hope that is ok!

So my question here is, are there any ships that will not be available once the game releases, like limited versions or variants of ships that you can not get anywhere after release, even in-game with UEC.

For example the Apollo Medivac that is unlocked from the mini-game or Pirate Cat from Swarm. Are those variants that will never be obtainable in-game after the release when/if they lock pledges, and then it is exclusive to backers that pledged for it?

Maybe there is not an answer on this yet, but if it is truly limited, what other ships/variants are also limited to pre-release?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
They have stated that every asset will be available to earn in the 'Verse. How easy it is to earn? Now that is the question.

[Theroycraft]
The Pirate Cat, for example. It will be simple to grind your way to a Cat, but the pirate skin may only become available to you if you get the right rep with the right set of pirates.

There are some ships like the Mustang Omega (A Mustang with an AMD skin which was only available with an AMD graphics card) and the Saber Raven (A ship that was only available with an Intel Optain hard drive) that will not be available on the market again and are the purest definition of a limited ship, but that doesn't mean that they may not be available as first prize for winning the Murry Cup or a reward for reaching the higher ranks of the UEE navy.
[/Theorycraft]

In short, I don't know. But they have said all assets will be available in game.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This is in contrast with the standard disclaimer that is posted with the introduction of new ships.

DISCLAIMER
We offer pledge vehicles to help fund Star Citizen’s development. The funding received from events such as this allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen world. These vehicles will be obtainable in the final universe and they are not required to start the game.
There were a little bit of confusions recently within the Q&A of the Drake Kraken Privateer

Will this kit be available to earn in-game?

The Privateer isn’t just a kit but an entire hull variant. Like all variants, we plan to make everything obtainable in-game with the exception of a few limited-edition ships and variants.
DriftwoodBadger had the best answer in regard to the concern about the statement about the exception. As @Montoya said right now its simply unique skins for existing ships.

They're talking about limited edition event ships like the Best In Show from IAE, or the Origin Celebration skins for the 300 series, or the promotional ships like the Mustang Omega which is just a reskinned Mustang Gamma. You aren't going to be able to buy a Hammerhead 2949 Showdown Edition in game anywhere unless it is used from someone who bought it this year.
Mustang Omega (AMD promotion)
Sabre Raven (Intel promotion)*
Captured Vanduul Scythe (one time only concept sale 2015)*
Valkyrie and Mustang Citcon skins (Citcon 2018)
Super Hornet Heartseeker (Valentine 2019) I think this hasn't been sold again after that.
Dragonfly Star Kitten, essentially Hello Kitty skin (Referral bonus 2017)

*Unique ships unknown if they will be later made available for purchase in-game but they could easily fall with in the exception.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
They have stated that every asset will be available to earn in the 'Verse. How easy it is to earn? Now that is the question.

[Theroycraft]
The Pirate Cat, for example. It will be simple to grind your way to a Cat, but the pirate skin may only become available to you if you get the right rep with the right set of pirates.

There are some ships like the Mustang Omega (A Mustang with an AMD skin which was only available with an AMD graphics card) and the Saber Raven (A ship that was only available with an Intel Optain hard drive) that will not be available on the market again and are the purest definition of a limited ship, but that doesn't mean that they may not be available as first prize for winning the Murry Cup or a reward for reaching the higher ranks of the UEE navy.
[/Theorycraft]

In short, I don't know. But they have said all assets will be available in game.
There are some unique skins, for example the AMD Mustang which is not going to be available again.
Perfect, exactly the information I wanted/needed to know for a couple strategic decision. Thanks for replying guys!

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
This is in contrast with the standard disclaimer that is posted with the introduction of new ships.

There were a little bit of confusions recently within the Q&A of the Drake Kraken Privateer

DriftwoodBadger had the best answer in regard to the concern about the statement about the exception. As @Montoya said right now its simply unique skins for existing ships.

Mustang Omega (AMD promotion)
Sabre Raven (Intel promotion)*
Captured Vanduul Scythe (one time only concept sale 2015)*
Valkyrie and Mustang Citcon skins (Citcon 2018)
Super Hornet Heartseeker (Valentine 2019) I think this hasn't been sold again after that.
Dragonfly Star Kitten, essentially Hello Kitty skin (Referral bonus 2017)

*Unique ships unknown if they will be later made available for purchase in-game but they could easily fall with in the exception.
Awesome, great information and sources! I was going to CCU to the Apollo Medivac if it was something you would not be able to get in-game but it sounds likely you will be able to so I will stick to the Triage. I, like a lot of people, like exclusive content that can be shown off so I was wondering about other ships that might be the same case. I have the upgrade to the Best in Show Cutlass but i find it ugly so I probably wont use that one haha.

Thanks again for taking the time to source the info!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...Super Hornet Heartseeker (Valentine 2019) I think this hasn't been sold again after that...
I received the Heartseeker upgrade without my doing anything

I have the options to apply it or gift it

not sure which weapon loadout I will prefer

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The one ship I know of that has an in-lore modifier on its numbers if the Origin 350R.

Lore states that for every ten 300 series built, only one is a 350R. Thinking about this in terms of the 'Verse it puts a hard limit on the amount available vs the amount of 300 series flying.

Depending on how seriously CIG stick to their own Lore, there should only ever be 10% of the total 300 line owned as 350's - so if those are all sold out and there are no more 300 series bought, it may never become available again or you'll be on the end of a very long waiting list... although they can get round that by handing 300i's out to NPC's like they were halloween candies.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The one ship I know of that has an in-lore modifier on its numbers if the Origin 350R.

Lore states that for every ten 300 series built, only one is a 350R. Thinking about this in terms of the 'Verse it puts a hard limit on the amount available vs the amount of 300 series flying.

Depending on how seriously CIG stick to their own Lore, there should only ever be 10% of the total 300 line owned as 350's - so if those are all sold out and there are no more 300 series bought, it may never become available again or you'll be on the end of a very long waiting list... although they can get round that by handing 300i's out to NPC's like they were halloween candies.

Wouldn't that be solved by the fact that we the players are but a small percent of the inhabitants of the SC verse and thus we could all own 350R's and still there would be millions more NPC's flying around in 300's and thus maintain the lore?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wouldn't that be solved by the fact that we the players are but a small percent of the inhabitants of the SC verse and thus we could all own 350R's and still there would be millions more NPC's flying around in 300's and thus maintain the lore?
Yes:
although they can get round that by handing 300i's out to NPC's like they were halloween candies.
Players will be 10% of the population and 350's will be 10% of the 300 series population, so if every NPC had a 300 and none of the players did all the players could have a 350R 🙂

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Some limited ship, like the mustang Omega, are just skin form other ship, so I'll expect that there will be a "Saber Raven" with another skin at some point in the future.
The really true "one in the life" thay you won't be able to buy no matter what I'll expect to be just special skinned variant, like the Space Kitten or the recent "2949 best of show edition", those will remain unique type of ship, for anything else there will be some way to buy them either as a limitd skin the CIG on-line shop or as in-game item.

SC will need a way to support itself when released and I see the sell of some limited ship woth special skin (and maybe some equipment upgrade like the Heartseaker have), as good way to do it.

Reactions: Vashpede

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
I’m just hoping they have legitimately hard to earn ships ingame, or variants, that require some work to get. Like a rep grind or hard mission requirements.
I hope so too, I enjoy putting in the work and having that satisfaction. I just hope if there is a specific ship that you have to rep grind for, there will be multiple ways to get that rep so you're not stuck just doing the same thing daily to get it.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Remembering what a pain in the arse it was to get my first corvette ship in X2, I don't think they'll have a problem making it a slog to get the craft of your dreams.

Aside from grinding the UEC to buy it and physically limiting the numbers available, the places you can get them from would be limited as well. If you spawn in Terra and the best Militia variant Cutlass is in Garron thats a 10 system trek just to get there and put your credits on the table, and even then you'd likely need to grund up some reputation with that Militia to be able to then buy the damned thing, and knowing how games work siding with them to get that ship and getting that kind of Reputation would likely then put you in a bad position with the faction the Militia were fighting once you had that sweet ship in your hands.

You thought it was okay knocking out pirate ships with the Militia while in Garron space was pretty easy and fun but when you have your OP Cutlass and strike out on your own suddenly you're a sitting target with a whole pirate faction with you on their Kill On Sight list.

All part of the fun 😉

Other ships, rare prototypes, or severely limited hulls, may be wrecks lost out in the void waiting to be picked up and fixed up. The original 300 series prototype cost 10 times what the production version does, such was the quality of the materials used, suggesting it was 10 times the ship... If you can find one, the main giveaway is that there is no "i" on the end of the ship designation showing it is not a variant, but the genesis.

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I agree with what others have said. CIG has always stated that all ships will be available in game later, which tells me they are not 'limited' in hull quantity in the future. Some may be harder to get in game than others, but sooner or later the community with crack that code and the ships will flow. What truly may be limited is these ships having LTI insurance, unavailable except in the store.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Remembering what a pain in the arse it was to get my first corvette ship in X2, I don't think they'll have a problem making it a slog to get the craft of your dreams.

Aside from grinding the UEC to buy it and physically limiting the numbers available, the places you can get them from would be limited as well. If you spawn in Terra and the best Militia variant Cutlass is in Garron thats a 10 system trek just to get there and put your credits on the table, and even then you'd likely need to grund up some reputation with that Militia to be able to then buy the damned thing, and knowing how games work siding with them to get that ship and getting that kind of Reputation would likely then put you in a bad position with the faction the Militia were fighting once you had that sweet ship in your hands.

You thought it was okay knocking out pirate ships with the Militia while in Garron space was pretty easy and fun but when you have your OP Cutlass and strike out on your own suddenly you're a sitting target with a whole pirate faction with you on their Kill On Sight list.

All part of the fun 😉

Other ships, rare prototypes, or severely limited hulls, may be wrecks lost out in the void waiting to be picked up and fixed up. The original 300 series prototype cost 10 times what the production version does, such was the quality of the materials used, suggesting it was 10 times the ship... If you can find one, the main giveaway is that there is no "i" on the end of the ship designation showing it is not a variant, but the genesis.
This limited rare wreck seems like a good concept, I'd love to get my hands on an original 300, but it also ties into the pay2win argument. If your definition of "win" is getting a limited ships like the one you mentioned (it is for me), those with little time will probably not find it, and will have to buy it off of the person who could spend 24/7 to get it, and then put it up for sale for an exorbitant amount of UEC. Thus the player with little time, but probably a thick wallet, could buy it with real money. Thus I would "lose" , cos I probably won't have enough time or money to get it. I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, it's like real world economy or like EVE, but it still makes me a bit sad lol

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede

All part of the fun 😉

That sounds fun, I just hope that maybe there are different systems where you can earn that same rep, in this example Militia, and different ways to do it. Maybe a couple systems around there that have pirate slaying, delivery missions, maybe some S&R, etc. I would just hate to spend a week grinding rep in the same system, around the same planet, doing the same thing over and over. I know it has to be a grind and I think it should take time to do it, just with some variety hopefully. =)

Forgot your password?