Long range travel and its applications on the player

Aleph0Null

Grand Admiral
Apr 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Aleph0Null
I just watched a video by NoobFier
As we all know, the verse is huge and will take days to travel from edge to edge even with FTL systems, I have no doubt that the specific long range ships will be fly it will some planning, although I can see a situation when the smell crafts (Aurora, Nox etc.) will need to take a voyage on other ships/transport methods. from my understanding CIG planning to keep things simple at the beginning, so I'm unsure about how things will start, but in my vision, I see something like in Truck/Ship Simulator, where you take a bunch of cars, and deliver them from point A to B (For example I took a delivery in Euro Truck Simulator 2 from Moscow (Russia) to Akureyri (Iceland) a voyage that took me 7 hours IRL, and I took 17 fuel stops and a lot of planning) I can't imagine players whom focus on dogfighting will be able to look outside the small cockpit for more than 3 hours.
Yet, it's a wet dream for the scenario visioners between us.

How do you think long range travel will be implemented in the verse?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Oh! Euro Truck Simulator 2 / American Truck Simulator... those hulling runs are awesome... love those games :D

I think that is' kind of how it will be if you want your smart little dogfighter to see the other side of Crusae.... universe you need to hitch a ride or you ain't going no where fast with it.
So I can most likely see hulling ships for long runs transporting other users ship between systems and I shore hope for it too.. :beer: :beer: :beers:

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I can't imagine players whom focus on dogfighting will be able to look outside the small cockpit for more than 3 hours.
They're aren't supposed to.
Single seat fighters are meant for in-system interdiction & dogfighting.
Bounty hunters typically will 'hop' from system to system chasing their prey and landing on planets for info or clues.

Long range journeys are for Trading, Transporting and Exploring.
I like this game mechanic and in fact have looked forward to an experience like this for a very long time.
Star Citizen will be a Virtual Reality experience - not an Arcade 'pin-ball' pew pew like all the rest.
Hooray.

Aleph0Null

Grand Admiral
Apr 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Aleph0Null
Bounty hunters typically will 'hop' from system to system chasing their prey and landing on planets for info or clues.

I like this game mechanic and in fact have looked forward to an experience like this for a very long time.
Star Citizen will be a Virtual Reality experience - not an Arcade 'pin-ball' pew pew like all the rest.
Hooray.
I was with you on discord when we discussed it. and sure, I don't expect fighters to fly long flights just to catch an enemy that escaped.
What I was talking about large scale battles that requisite smart mobility of the fleet, for example when Montoya will decide it's time "to borrow" a Bangle for TEST (see what I did there?) I don't think that striking on a bangle inside a system is a smart move, so we need a large space crafts that can take the hornets to midway between systems.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
When stuck with a single seater, I expect to be able to pay a fee to have my craft ferried on a Hull D or E across the systems by an NPC or another player who will drop it off at a port in that system which will become my new spawn point.

Beds in little ships like the mustang Beta or Aurora will allow one to log-off and log back in at exactly the point you stopped playing the previous session, but ships without beds like the Saber will have no such ability. Don't go Deep Space in a fighter unless you want to leave your computer on for days.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

Hooray.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
I expect to be able to pay a fee to have my craft ferried on a Hull D or E across the systems by an NPC or another player who will drop it off at a port in that system which will become my new spawn point.
Sort of like a ship ferry service. That sounds mighty interesting. I wonder if the larger Hull series ships will be able to have smaller ships, Aurora, Mustang or 300 size, attached to it. Although someone with an Idris or Javelin could do that, I suppose. The Polaris would only be able to carry one so it's limited. But an interesting concept.

Aleph0Null

Grand Admiral
Apr 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Aleph0Null
Sort of like a ship ferry service. That sounds mighty interesting. I wonder if the larger Hull series ships will be able to have smaller ships, Aurora, Mustang or 300 size, attached to it. Although someone with an Idris or Javelin could do that, I suppose. The Polaris would only be able to carry one so it's limited. But an interesting concept.
Well, you don't see The Namiz talking cars/trucks from shore to shore. it's not cost effective

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Well, you don't see The Namiz talking cars/trucks from shore to shore. it's not cost effective
True, but this is SC we're talking about. If someones cap ship is heading your way, a prepaid lift might be arranged. And I would gather there has to be one or two owners of a cap ship that might not use it for military enterprises.
Kinda of like the Verse's safest large cargo hauler.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
There is a concept image somewhere on the internet of a Hull series packed with small ships in its cargo containers.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'ts on tthe internet, it's must be true
*cough*

Shiz.jpeg

I could say the same for the whole of Star Citizen - we are in Alpha, it's all just theorycraft at the moment. Even the stuff we have played in patches could be totally different come release.

:-)

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
*cough*

View attachment 7083

I could say the same for the whole of Star Citizen - we are in Alpha, it's all just theorycraft at the moment. Even the stuff we have played in patches could be totally different come release.

:slight_smile:
Fuckin' awesome. I just might try to get one o' dem E ships.

If I can find the cash around Nov.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?