Looking to tap the tech cabal of TEST...

BadMoonRicin

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
BadMoonRicin
My current specs are:

Intel Core i7-47905 CPU @3.20 Ghz 3.20Ghz
RAM 12Gb
Nvidea GeForce GTX 1060 6 Gb

Windows 10

Opinions on which of these two upgrades would help me most.

Upgrade RAM (16-32 Gb) or move Star Citizen to a SSD drive (currently on a HDD)

I have No big issues as I am currently set up. The usual FPS stuff (between 2 and 20) averaging 15 or so.

Load times are long ( up to 3 -5+ minutes to load into PO on start)

Your thoughts. feel free to add any other upgrades you might think...

THANKS

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
My current specs are:

Intel Core i7-47905 CPU @3.20 Ghz 3.20Ghz
RAM 12Gb
Nvidea GeForce GTX 1060 6 Gb

Windows 10

Opinions on which of these two upgrades would help me most.

Upgrade RAM (16-32 Gb) or move Star Citizen to a SSD drive (currently on a HDD)

I have No big issues as I am currently set up. The usual FPS stuff (between 2 and 20) averaging 15 or so.

Load times are long ( up to 3 -5+ minutes to load into PO on start)

Your thoughts. feel free to add any other upgrades you might think...

THANKS
SSD and RAM should be your first priority.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
SSD will improve your load times just don't go too cheap on the drive. Cheaper SSDs won't improve your load times much over a good HDD. Also just because it's a SanDisk or Mushkin doesn't mean it's going to be faster. Most companies have a lot of different options and speeds will vary. Look at real-world transfer tests of possible and not just artificial benchmarks. I would recommend either a Samsung Pro or SanDisk Ultra SSD.

BadMoonRicin

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
BadMoonRicin
I appreciate the direction all. Did a lil more research and I think i'll be heading the 960 "evo" way, depending on what kind of deal I can get the "pro" for.

THANKS again.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
While agreeing with everyone before I'd like to say that there are two different ways to move forward
1) buy some mediocre SATA ssd of 500gb+ that will be used later on ( as most probably there is no nvme onboard )
2) buy 960 pro and some adapter, and 120gb or so for bootable ssd

hi100040

Captain
Jan 11, 2018
RSI Handle
CMDRDazlarus
While agreeing with everyone before I'd like to say that there are two different ways to move forward
1) buy some mediocre SATA ssd of 500gb+ that will be used later on ( as most probably there is no nvme onboard )
2) buy 960 pro and some adapter, and 120gb or so for bootable ssd
I have never heard of OP's CPU and neither has Intel... I am going to guess he meant i7-4790 (but if this is correct, why are you underclocking a 4.0GHz CPU?) in which case there is no NVME support through m.2 which means that a SATA drive is your best bet otherwise you will have to use a PCIe card to plug an m.2 into to get the NVME speeds. That being said, since you didn't post your mobo it might be one of the special ones that did have the NVME m.2 support so consult your manual or post up your mobo if you get lost. 4700's CPUs were right on the bleeding edge of NVME so support is not as universal as it was for the next generation.

If you have a hard time getting an NVME drive to work try updating your BIOS.

I have noticed that Star Citizen loves it's RAM and that if you have too large a page file (like I did) you will have performance hits. The biggest area you will see an improvement in with a fast SSD is the mini-game modules like Arena Commander and Star Marine. If you like playing those I would suggest an SSD over RAM 100%. If you prefer the main Universe then I would ensure your page file is small(1GB or less), look at your RAM usage after a while of playing and if your RAM is less than 90% then you are best to go grab an SSD. If you are above 90% RAM at any point while playing Star Citizen it is time for more RAM because starving this game of RAM is the best way to make it run like ass.

I hope these 2 pieces of information help you out and anyone else reading this.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Looking like the SSD market is the best bet in performance. RAM is always important... I dont think i7 cpus really break a sweat since the GPU handles to load (unless you have a crappy i7 or a shit load of apps its running). Cant go wrong with 32 GB of ram... thats a given... next is the GPU... then the ssd. My opinion

Forgot your password?