Lost In Space (2018 Netflix edition)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Sooo, I've sat down with the wife, and just finished the first episode, and started ep2 to see if there was any improvement. Nope, no thanks.
There are some genuinely exciting, funny, and entertaining moments, sadly embedded in SJW/feminist agenda pushing.

I'm currently on episode two, to see if it gets any better, so far, the exact same things are playing out, apart from it also being an Oreo advert for some reason? I haven't noticed if the buggy had a Chevy emblem on it or not, wouldn't be surprised if it did...

All in all, utterly disappointed.

I really wanted to like this show, as I kinda didn't mind the movie back in the day, and the trailer looked good enough. But I just couldn't with the constant pushing of agenda for it's own sake, ruining the story along the way.
Ya know, I always thought of myself as someone who doesn't really give a crap about these issues, of groups of fanatic assholes throwing shit. SJW this, alt-right that... I never cared about the message these people, whatever "side" they were on, would read into a movie or TV show, cos you can do that with anything if you really want to. But ruining a perfectly viable show by doing things so much out of place, so illogical, just to score these propaganda points, makes me angry.
As I'm not American, I was never thought to think differently of people according to their skin colors or gender. To me people are people, to be judged on their own merits and failings. So this constant pushing is really getting annoying.
I don't need this racial and gender agenda pushed in my face, while I'm trying to watch a supposedly family-centric scifi show. I don't have your issues, and you don't have any right to pull me down into it, while I'm trying to enjoy some escapism. So I guess this was not made with international viewers in mind.

Ya know, this whole women and color and stuff wouldn't be any issue, if it wouldn't screw up the story and characters.
The writing is terrible, most things they do make no sense, sound design is meh, the actors are week -especially the wife, can't speak clearly, there is zero chemistry between them (which is kinda okay for the first few episodes I guess), and the characters are totally inconsistent, both with themselves, and with sensible human beings. The VFX is actually kinda okay, but the compositing/bluescreen stuff is mediocre. I would expect way better with todays technology. Hell, I can shoot and composite that level of bluescreen at home with some bedsheets and a potato... Anyways, these are things that can be worked out under a few episodes. What can't be, is the constant pushing for diversity/PC points and so writing the script into nonsense!

First of all, they just can't seem to learn that making women utter jerks towards men (and even other women in this one), doesn't make for a strong-female-lead. It makes for a bad story with a week plot with unrelateable, hateful characters. (see TLJ for reference. Or rather, don't watch it at all)
Want to see a proper strong female lead in a sci-fi, without ruining the plot just for her sake, or her being an entitled little bitch of a snowflake? Just yesterday I saw one, Avarsaralalalrara (sorry, can't remember the spelling) from the Expanse. Now, she is fucking amazing, both the actress herself, and the writing. She acts logically, and emotionally, at the right moments, mostly consistent with what you would expect from her established character, and consistent with what an actual human would do, and has a defined character that whether you hate or love, works perfectly well. And she doesn't need guns or flashing boobs to do so! So you see, it can be done, without ruining the whole damn show just to push it in our face, and you can keep SJWs (she is of color) and actual feminists (not todays extremist rabble) happy!

The whole premise of the first episode is the avalanche of problems created by Ms.I'mSpecial. The moment she said it, I knew where this was headed, and sadly, I was right.
So she goes in to prove how strong, independent, and smart she is, right after her father (how is he her father?) comes up with a perfectly serviceable, and much safer plan, that would have actually worked, if she just listened to those who have training and experience in such matters. But that's the plan of a white male, we can't have that nowadays, can we? With her reckless stupidity she puts everyone in mortal danger, and what does she get as a consequence? A pat on the head. (remember what Poe got in TLJ just for asking a question from purplehairbitch? yeah, that's equality for you...)
" You almost got all of us killed, but everything's fine (cos alien ex machina which you had nothing to do with), you did well honey, you should be proud, you are special as long as you believe it". That's the whole message of the episode. You should defy your parents, you should tell those with logical, viable ideas to go fuck themselves, as long as you feel special. Screw family, screw basic human decency, screw actual values. Especially, screw merit. Oh, and don't forget to screw consequence while you are at it. (I did check the second episode if she got grounded for almost killing them all, nope, nothing, not even mentioned)
And I'm supposed to buy into this utter nonsense, and root for her? Every wrong action taken was caused by the women acting like totally illogical, authoritarian assholes, just for the sake of it, and I'm supposed to like it that they are being dumb and aggressive, causing issues and coming up with no solutions, and only causing more problems? I like a smart strong woman, I married one FFS, but they are just utterly stupid, obnoxious and agressive for no reason! Being an asshole to others, does not equal strength! When will you learn this?!
Why do you need this anti-family anti-male agenda in a supposedly family-friendly sci-fi show??? Even episode 2 is pushing that a family doesn't need a father, yet they constantly bash him for not being a good father cos he wasn't there for them? what the hell, even the message, no matter how wrong it is, can't make up it's mind!
You know what my wife said? "Why are the girls being dumb mean bitches? What are they doing? Why would they do that, it makes no sense! I don't like this, this is a shitty show". This is the takeaway of sensible woman from this agenda pushing. Even though she doesn't really pick up on the agenda pushing because she doesn't watch as many shows as I do, she fucking hates it because it turns the show into nonsense!

Let's forget about the obvious pushing for points for a moment. Almost nothing that they do makes sense! I constantly kept asking the one simple question of Why?? while watching it. Why they did anything the way they did? It mostly makes no logical sense.

-Have someone injured?-leave her in an open(why???) tent in a snowstorm. That's fine, she doesn't need supervision or help of any kind, she is a female lead afterall. Or heat. Or anything really. You got a medpack full of good stuff, she is passing out from pain, no need to use it!

- Winter is coming! and you are going to freeze to death? Don't even think about finding a place that you could warm up enough to survive in. Also, don't even think about using some of the equipment, like the tent with it's stiff railings, to create a stretcher and carry your injured crew member to a place that is a but less cold and deadly. Especially that you have 3 healthy crewmembers to help carry the injured one.

-Have no energy source in the emergency kit that would survive in a mild winter environment? Yeah, you would never ever need that while traveling in space to an alien world, it's gonna be pretty nice there ya know! Sunhine happy all the way baby!

-Have a spacesuit on you with no visible oxygen tank that only runs out when the female lead decides to tell us? yeah, makes sense.

-Whenever a male asks a very relevant and important question, just tell them nothing. That's the way to solving problems. Or even better, tell them to shut up!

-Your husband asks how long until the ship freezez into a solid block of ice, so as to figure out how long you got to get some vital stuff out. Oh but you remember the rule described above! As a scientist who knows the answer to everything, you just tell him to fuck off, and then spout nonsense about "it depends". Clearly, while you have a computer that can monitor anyones health from afar, it doesn't have a calculator on it, and you forgot to bring a fucking thermometer anyways, so you can't answer such a stupid question! Yet by using that computer, you can tell how cold it will get, in some undefined amount of time later, cos science?!

-Kid collects some of the unknown fluid, and hands it over to you to drink it. Even though you have no way of knowing whether it has high levels of arsenic in it (which a lot of wild water does even here on Earth), or if it is water at all, you drink it. So it must be one of those magic mugs that can clean water, as long as it is H2O, and you can drink it. Fine, that even exists today! So it is just water, glad we cleared that up. Yet it doesn't act like water, but who cares...

-Did you just exhale the warm air from inside your suit into the very cold outside air, as it is clearly snowing and you are standing on ice? No need to show your breath condensing in the cold, that would be too much for the audience!

-You have a single magical torch that can burn fine in windy winter conditions, yet you have nothing to burn for warmth in the emergency packs, even for a bit to not certainly die. Also the magic torch doesn't work if it gets 3 drops of rain on it. Makes sense to me!

- Rain starts falling and falls so fast, that it can fill up a meter deep and wide hole at an alarmingly fast rate, and freeze instantly when it falls into the whole so it must be really reall cold, but then it couldn't rain, it would be snow or ice or most likely it couldn't rain anything at all, but that doesn't matter! Also, it stops raining in the presence of aliens. Intelligent weather, who knew!

-Water starts freezing from inside the middle of the ship (the hottest point) towards the surface (the coldest point). Yet, the surface ice was what broke under the ship in the first place, so actually the lake never freezes into a solid block of ice. If it did, the top would melt first, withsolid ice under it, so the ship wouldn't have a lake of freezing water to fall into. But that's not important. Or illogical, or relevant in any way.

-You are a mechanic on a spaceship traveling at insane speed, and you are about to take a spacewalk in a spacesuit so advanced that it has no visible air and energy supply tanks on it, and yet you never heard of mag-boots thus you almost fall to your death? But you have a knife on you, cos that's standard mechanics equipment, apparently.

-You are traveling on a colony ship, that by looking at it is supposed to be realistic and viable in our time, thus it needs to be as efficient as possible, yet, you are allowed to pack in Oreos instead of airfilters. Yep, that's fine, you won't need the airfilters on the ship, or on the colony, but you might become a bit peckish, and need to have some modified cornsyrup, or you will certainly die.

I could go on...

Strangely enough, while I thought I'd hate the smallest kid the most, as I usually end up doing, he was fine! He might even become an actor one day! Also his storyline was the only interesting thing in the whole show so far. The toaster is kinda cool too!

TLDR.:
I expected this to be a family-values kind of show, a little cringe, a little bit simple, like the movie, or as far as I heard, the original tv show was. What I expected was slightly annoying kids, and lots of the usual "family fights, acts a little bit like dicks, doing that causes problem/problem happens on it's own -- family learns to stick together and solves problems together, problem solved." Literally nothing of that is in there. No values, no love, absolutely no connection or chemistry, no respect for anyone, nothing. Just act like entitled little jerks, if a men says something tell him to go fuck himself, and unless you are a white male, you will be in the right. Even though you are the actual problem...

This feels too much like watching TLJ ,both objectively and subjectively one of the worst movies ever made. Yes, even EP1 was a million times better. There, I said it. And I hate that movie...

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Sooo, I've sat down with the wife, and just finished the first episode, and started ep2 to see if there was any improvement. Nope, no thanks.
There are some genuinely exciting, funny, and entertaining moments, sadly embedded in SJW/feminist agenda pushing.

[/SPOILER]
Well, sir, here is my response to you: Exactly.

If you want to see the best writing of a female lead, watch The Long Kiss Goodnight. Geena Davis portrays a powerful, aggressive, butt-kicking character who you'd want protecting YOU. However, she manages to maintain her femininity at the same time by being sexy, tender and vulnerable. Strong men want strong women, but they need to be women. If a woman tries to be tough and act male, first, she can't pull it off as men don't behave the way women think we do and, second, she makes herself undesirable as a person. Vive la différence.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1

I'm currently on episode two, to see if it gets any better, so far, the exact same things are playing out, apart from it also being an Oreo advert for some reason? I haven't noticed if the buggy had a Chevy emblem on it or not, wouldn't be surprised if it did...

All in all, utterly disappointed.

I really wanted to like this show, as I kinda didn't mind the movie back in the day, and the trailer looked good enough. But I just couldn't with the constant pushing of agenda for it's own sake, ruining the story along the way.
Ya know, I always thought of myself as someone who doesn't really give a crap about these issues, of groups of fanatic assholes throwing shit. SJW this, alt-right that... I never cared about the message these people, whatever "side" they were on, would read into a movie or TV show, cos you can do that with anything if you really want to. But ruining a perfectly viable show by doing things so much out of place, so illogical, just to score these propaganda points, makes me angry.
As I'm not American, I was never thought to think differently of people according to their skin colors or gender. To me people are people, to be judged on their own merits and failings. So this constant pushing is really getting annoying.
I don't need this racial and gender agenda pushed in my face, while I'm trying to watch a supposedly family-centric scifi show. I don't have your issues, and you don't have any right to pull me down into it, while I'm trying to enjoy some escapism. So I guess this was not made with international viewers in mind.

Ya know, this whole women and color and stuff wouldn't be any issue, if it wouldn't screw up the story and characters.
The writing is terrible, most things they do make no sense, sound design is meh, the actors are week -especially the wife, can't speak clearly, there is zero chemistry between them (which is kinda okay for the first few episodes I guess), and the characters are totally inconsistent, both with themselves, and with sensible human beings. The VFX is actually kinda okay, but the compositing/bluescreen stuff is mediocre. I would expect way better with todays technology. Hell, I can shoot and composite that level of bluescreen at home with some bedsheets and a potato... Anyways, these are things that can be worked out under a few episodes. What can't be, is the constant pushing for diversity/PC points and so writing the script into nonsense!

First of all, they just can't seem to learn that making women utter jerks towards men (and even other women in this one), doesn't make for a strong-female-lead. It makes for a bad story with a week plot with unrelateable, hateful characters. (see TLJ for reference. Or rather, don't watch it at all)
Want to see a proper strong female lead in a sci-fi, without ruining the plot just for her sake, or her being an entitled little bitch of a snowflake? Just yesterday I saw one, Avarsaralalalrara (sorry, can't remember the spelling) from the Expanse. Now, she is fucking amazing, both the actress herself, and the writing. She acts logically, and emotionally, at the right moments, mostly consistent with what you would expect from her established character, and consistent with what an actual human would do, and has a defined character that whether you hate or love, works perfectly well. And she doesn't need guns or flashing boobs to do so! So you see, it can be done, without ruining the whole damn show just to push it in our face, and you can keep SJWs (she is of color) and actual feminists (not todays extremist rabble) happy!

The whole premise of the first episode is the avalanche of problems created by Ms.I'mSpecial. The moment she said it, I knew where this was headed, and sadly, I was right.
So she goes in to prove how strong, independent, and smart she is, right after her father (how is he her father?) comes up with a perfectly serviceable, and much safer plan, that would have actually worked, if she just listened to those who have training and experience in such matters. But that's the plan of a white male, we can't have that nowadays, can we? With her reckless stupidity she puts everyone in mortal danger, and what does she get as a consequence? A pat on the head. (remember what Poe got in TLJ just for asking a question from purplehairbitch? yeah, that's equality for you...)
" You almost got all of us killed, but everything's fine (cos alien ex machina which you had nothing to do with), you did well honey, you should be proud, you are special as long as you believe it". That's the whole message of the episode. You should defy your parents, you should tell those with logical, viable ideas to go fuck themselves, as long as you feel special. Screw family, screw basic human decency, screw actual values. Especially, screw merit. Oh, and don't forget to screw consequence while you are at it. (I did check the second episode if she got grounded for almost killing them all, nope, nothing, not even mentioned)
And I'm supposed to buy into this utter nonsense, and root for her? Every wrong action taken was caused by the women acting like totally illogical, authoritarian assholes, just for the sake of it, and I'm supposed to like it that they are being dumb and aggressive, causing issues and coming up with no solutions, and only causing more problems? I like a smart strong woman, I married one FFS, but they are just utterly stupid, obnoxious and agressive for no reason! Being an asshole to others, does not equal strength! When will you learn this?!
Why do you need this anti-family anti-male agenda in a supposedly family-friendly sci-fi show??? Even episode 2 is pushing that a family doesn't need a father, yet they constantly bash him for not being a good father cos he wasn't there for them? what the hell, even the message, no matter how wrong it is, can't make up it's mind!
You know what my wife said? "Why are the girls being dumb mean bitches? What are they doing? Why would they do that, it makes no sense! I don't like this, this is a shitty show". This is the takeaway of sensible woman from this agenda pushing. Even though she doesn't really pick up on the agenda pushing because she doesn't watch as many shows as I do, she fucking hates it because it turns the show into nonsense!

Let's forget about the obvious pushing for points for a moment. Almost nothing that they do makes sense! I constantly kept asking the one simple question of Why?? while watching it. Why they did anything the way they did? It mostly makes no logical sense.

-Have someone injured?-leave her in an open(why???) tent in a snowstorm. That's fine, she doesn't need supervision or help of any kind, she is a female lead afterall. Or heat. Or anything really. You got a medpack full of good stuff, she is passing out from pain, no need to use it!

- Winter is coming! and you are going to freeze to death? Don't even think about finding a place that you could warm up enough to survive in. Also, don't even think about using some of the equipment, like the tent with it's stiff railings, to create a stretcher and carry your injured crew member to a place that is a but less cold and deadly. Especially that you have 3 healthy crewmembers to help carry the injured one.

-Have no energy source in the emergency kit that would survive in a mild winter environment? Yeah, you would never ever need that while traveling in space to an alien world, it's gonna be pretty nice there ya know! Sunhine happy all the way baby!

-Have a spacesuit on you with no visible oxygen tank that only runs out when the female lead decides to tell us? yeah, makes sense.

-Whenever a male asks a very relevant and important question, just tell them nothing. That's the way to solving problems. Or even better, tell them to shut up!

-Your husband asks how long until the ship freezez into a solid block of ice, so as to figure out how long you got to get some vital stuff out. Oh but you remember the rule described above! As a scientist who knows the answer to everything, you just tell him to fuck off, and then spout nonsense about "it depends". Clearly, while you have a computer that can monitor anyones health from afar, it doesn't have a calculator on it, and you forgot to bring a fucking thermometer anyways, so you can't answer such a stupid question! Yet by using that computer, you can tell how cold it will get, in some undefined amount of time later, cos science?!

-Kid collects some of the unknown fluid, and hands it over to you to drink it. Even though you have no way of knowing whether it has high levels of arsenic in it (which a lot of wild water does even here on Earth), or if it is water at all, you drink it. So it must be one of those magic mugs that can clean water, as long as it is H2O, and you can drink it. Fine, that even exists today! So it is just water, glad we cleared that up. Yet it doesn't act like water, but who cares...

-Did you just exhale the warm air from inside your suit into the very cold outside air, as it is clearly snowing and you are standing on ice? No need to show your breath condensing in the cold, that would be too much for the audience!

-You have a single magical torch that can burn fine in windy winter conditions, yet you have nothing to burn for warmth in the emergency packs, even for a bit to not certainly die. Also the magic torch doesn't work if it gets 3 drops of rain on it. Makes sense to me!

- Rain starts falling and falls so fast, that it can fill up a meter deep and wide hole at an alarmingly fast rate, and freeze instantly when it falls into the whole so it must be really reall cold, but then it couldn't rain, it would be snow or ice or most likely it couldn't rain anything at all, but that doesn't matter! Also, it stops raining in the presence of aliens. Intelligent weather, who knew!

-Water starts freezing from inside the middle of the ship (the hottest point) towards the surface (the coldest point). Yet, the surface ice was what broke under the ship in the first place, so actually the lake never freezes into a solid block of ice. If it did, the top would melt first, withsolid ice under it, so the ship wouldn't have a lake of freezing water to fall into. But that's not important. Or illogical, or relevant in any way.

-You are a mechanic on a spaceship traveling at insane speed, and you are about to take a spacewalk in a spacesuit so advanced that it has no visible air and energy supply tanks on it, and yet you never heard of mag-boots thus you almost fall to your death? But you have a knife on you, cos that's standard mechanics equipment, apparently.

-You are traveling on a colony ship, that by looking at it is supposed to be realistic and viable in our time, thus it needs to be as efficient as possible, yet, you are allowed to pack in Oreos instead of airfilters. Yep, that's fine, you won't need the airfilters on the ship, or on the colony, but you might become a bit peckish, and need to have some modified cornsyrup, or you will certainly die.

I could go on...

Strangely enough, while I thought I'd hate the smallest kid the most, as I usually end up doing, he was fine! He might even become an actor one day! Also his storyline was the only interesting thing in the whole show so far. The toaster is kinda cool too!

TLDR.:
I expected this to be a family-values kind of show, a little cringe, a little bit simple, like the movie, or as far as I heard, the original tv show was. What I expected was slightly annoying kids, and lots of the usual "family fights, acts a little bit like dicks, doing that causes problem/problem happens on it's own -- family learns to stick together and solves problems together, problem solved." Literally nothing of that is in there. No values, no love, absolutely no connection or chemistry, no respect for anyone, nothing. Just act like entitled little jerks, if a men says something tell him to go fuck himself, and unless you are a white male, you will be in the right. Even though you are the actual problem...

This feels too much like watching TLJ ,both objectively and subjectively one of the worst movies ever made. Yes, even EP1 was a million times better. There, I said it. And I hate that movie...

Ok a lot to unpack there, I have to disagree with you. This post got me scratching my head for a long time. I will try to keep this short and sweet. be warned mild spoilers for episode 1 ahead.

1: SJW/Feminist agenda: I totally disagree the woman are not saying no to the men because they are men (that would be bad) but because they are highly qualified in their fields. In the family alone you have an engineer, and a doctor both chosen to be part of this trip because they were that skilled. In the sense of the brains, the kids and the wife have it all. The dad is street-smart and knows how to stay alive. this lets them play off one another really well. also, you fall to take into account of personality and history. It is really easy to see that the family is struggling as a family. the doctor and her dad seem to have a lot of tension and she acts, when the dad says the young boy needs to go in, he hesitates (because he is afraid and like a kid) she jumps in because she needs to take action, that is who she is. and yes that can be a flaw, but it is that that makes her interesting and leaves rooms for improvement as a person.

2: I think you missed a lot: case and point.
No that is not what happened. the mother told the daughter to get the Oreos that she had packed as part of her luggage AFTER she had finished all the things on the list the last being replacing the air filters.

3: SCIENCE!
Not quite, the outside of the ship would be very hot from going from space to the ground, the inside, with all the AC rooms and metal (that tends to be cold) would start freezing first if a ship had just entered atmosphere, the most unrealistic thing is them touching the outside of the ship after just landing like that.

4: Objective vs Subjective: Now I could go on and on and answer point by point your issues, but here is the thing, you don't have to like it, it is not my job to make you like it. I did, I also liked The Last Jedi, that makes Lost In Space and TLJ SUBJECTIVE, you can like them or not, either is fine, I do like both of them, because they are art, and any form of art is always SUBJECTIVE, there is that guy out there somewhere that liked The Boss Baby, for God knows why, we can make fun of him or mouch him as much as we want, because lets face it that movie SUCKED and anyone that owns a coppy desiveds to get mocked. but that does not make he like it less. So no The Last Jedi and Lost in Space ARE NOT OBJECTIVELY BAD. and that is fine for you, but don't try to tell me what art I love is not good, just because you don't like something does not make it bad. just because I don't like something does not make it bad.

If you do not enjoy the movie or show that is fine, no one is forcing you to watch it, but I am sick and tired of people trying to push their feelings about something on another person, let me enjoy my life in peace, there is no reason for this post, you could have just said "I didn't like the first episode." and left it at that, and if a conversation evolved from it fine, but I am so sick of people trying to tell other people what to thing or watch, enjoy what you want, watch what you want (that even goes for you bronies out there, I don't get it, but if you like it ok whatever.) hope you find something you enjoy soon.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Ok a lot to unpack there, I have to disagree with you. This post got me scratching my head for a long time. I will try to keep this short and sweet. be warned mild spoilers for episode 1 ahead.

1: SJW/Feminist agenda: I totally disagree the woman are not saying no to the men because they are men (that would be bad) but because they are highly qualified in their fields. In the family alone you have an engineer, and a doctor both chosen to be part of this trip because they were that skilled. In the sense of the brains, the kids and the wife have it all. The dad is street-smart and knows how to stay alive. this lets them play off one another really well. also, you fall to take into account of personality and history. It is really easy to see that the family is struggling as a family. the doctor and her dad seem to have a lot of tension and she acts, when the dad says the young boy needs to go in, he hesitates (because he is afraid and like a kid) she jumps in because she needs to take action, that is who she is. and yes that can be a flaw, but it is that that makes her interesting and leaves rooms for improvement as a person.

2: I think you missed a lot: case and point.

No that is not what happened. the mother told the daughter to get the Oreos that she had packed as part of her luggage AFTER she had finished all the things on the list the last being replacing the air filters.

3: SCIENCE!

Not quite, the outside of the ship would be very hot from going from space to the ground, the inside, with all the AC rooms and metal (that tends to be cold) would start freezing first if a ship had just entered atmosphere, the most unrealistic thing is them touching the outside of the ship after just landing like that.

4: Objective vs Subjective: Now I could go on and on and answer point by point your issues, but here is the thing, you don't have to like it, it is not my job to make you like it. I did, I also liked The Last Jedi, that makes Lost In Space and TLJ SUBJECTIVE, you can like them or not, either is fine, I do like both of them, because they are art, and any form of art is always SUBJECTIVE, there is that guy out there somewhere that liked The Boss Baby, for God knows why, we can make fun of him or mouch him as much as we want, because lets face it that movie SUCKED and anyone that owns a coppy desiveds to get mocked. but that does not make he like it less. So no The Last Jedi and Lost in Space ARE NOT OBJECTIVELY BAD. and that is fine for you, but don't try to tell me what art I love is not good, just because you don't like something does not make it bad. just because I don't like something does not make it bad.

If you do not enjoy the movie or show that is fine, no one is forcing you to watch it, but I am sick and tired of people trying to push their feelings about something on another person, let me enjoy my life in peace, there is no reason for this post, you could have just said "I didn't like the first episode." and left it at that, and if a conversation evolved from it fine, but I am so sick of people trying to tell other people what to thing or watch, enjoy what you want, watch what you want (that even goes for you bronies out there, I don't get it, but if you like it ok whatever.) hope you find something you enjoy soon.
I'll answer you in reverse order.
4. : I don't want anyone to watch it or not watch it. I told you how it me feel and my reasoning behind it. That's all. I never said you shouldn't watch it because I don't like it. I'm not going to argue about about tlj and why even an "art" piece can be judged objectively as well as subjectively. We will disagree on that, an that is fine by me.

3. Okay, I didn't catch that, it actually makes sense. You made me curious, it would be interesting to see a simulation on this in some cad software.

2. Yeah the oreos was nitpicking a bit. I'm not deadly serious about this you know :D

1. I know they are supposed to be highly qualified, but you know how movies work . Don't just tell me, show me! Also you said it yourself, the father has street smarts and knows how to stay alive ! That is a survival situation, shouldn't you listen to what he has to say about survival, when it is about staying alive then? Anyway, the highly qualified engineers come across as obnoxious instead of smart, because you never see them do or even propose anything smart, just keep telling him that he is wrong. Why is he wrong? Nobody knows because they don't tell why, and don't show how smart and capable they are in any way.
Establish that a character is smart by making her solve a problem the supposedly dumb father can't, and then I can get why that character has the right to be a jerk to the father. It's pretty simple. Good example is Rodney from SGA. He is a jerk, but he is shown solving problems constantly, and thus he earns the privilege to be one. They don't just tell us that he is supposed to be smart, they show it. Also he is never that rude to anyone just for the sake of it. That is the difference and why I can't get behind the oh so special squad of "engineers" .
I get that the family is broken, and yes you can explain away everything by "oh they got history ya know" ... I dunno man, they are supposed to be highly qualified and tested yet they act like they do, and not like the professionals they are supposed to be. If this is the character growth they are going for, then I'm just not buying it. I get what they are trying to do, but it's so inconsistent that it's not to my taste.
This doesn't bother you, then good for you! Keep enjoying what you enjoy! I'll just stop watching and look for something else.

Reactions: Ammorn

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I'm on episode four so far, I'm enjoying it for the most part.

Since I loved the original as a kid the liberties getting taken with the characters and story are annoying, I knew it would happen but was hoping it wouldn't be this extreme.
Still, as the characters develop and they dig into their back stories I find good entertainment and potential for the show.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
I'll answer you in reverse order.
4. : I don't want anyone to watch it or not watch it. I told you how it me feel and my reasoning behind it. That's all. I never said you shouldn't watch it because I don't like it. I'm not going to argue about about tlj and why even an "art" piece can be judged objectively as well as subjectively. We will disagree on that, an that is fine by me.

3. Okay, I didn't catch that, it actually makes sense. You made me curious, it would be interesting to see a simulation on this in some cad software.

2. Yeah the oreos was nitpicking a bit. I'm not deadly serious about this you know :smile:

1. I know they are supposed to be highly qualified, but you know how movies work . Don't just tell me, show me! Also you said it yourself, the father has street smarts and knows how to stay alive ! That is a survival situation, shouldn't you listen to what he has to say about survival, when it is about staying alive then? Anyway, the highly qualified engineers come across as obnoxious instead of smart, because you never see them do or even propose anything smart, just keep telling him that he is wrong. Why is he wrong? Nobody knows because they don't tell why, and don't show how smart and capable they are in any way.
Establish that a character is smart by making her solve a problem the supposedly dumb father can't, and then I can get why that character has the right to be a jerk to the father. It's pretty simple. Good example is Rodney from SGA. He is a jerk, but he is shown solving problems constantly, and thus he earns the privilege to be one. They don't just tell us that he is supposed to be smart, they show it. Also he is never that rude to anyone just for the sake of it. That is the difference and why I can't get behind the oh so special squad of "engineers" .
I get that the family is broken, and yes you can explain away everything by "oh they got history ya know" ... I dunno man, they are supposed to be highly qualified and tested yet they act like they do, and not like the professionals they are supposed to be. If this is the character growth they are going for, then I'm just not buying it. I get what they are trying to do, but it's so inconsistent that it's not to my taste.
This doesn't bother you, then good for you! Keep enjoying what you enjoy! I'll just stop watching and look for something else.
4:
ob·jec·tive·ly
əbˈjektivlē,äbˈjektivlē/
adverb
  1. in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions.
    "events should be reported objectively"
    synonyms: impartially, without bias, without prejudice, evenhandedly, dispassionately, detachedly, equitably, fairly, justly, open-mindedly, with an open mind
    "encourage people to look at the information objectively and see how it will affect them"
Where some parts of a movie or show can be objective like does it make sense, the enjoyment of any art is subjective, and that is what I meant by art being totally subjective because enjoyment is really all that matters for any form of art.

3: I would also like to a see a sim, I have no question that it would not be what we saw in the show, but I think it would be at least semi-realistic from my understanding of thermodynamics.

2: my point was I saw on your list a few things like this, this just being the least spoiler and easies to point out. where I believe you missed something in the show. another being the families relationship with each other, especially the dad's relationship with the oldest.

1:
I know they are supposed to be highly qualified, but you know how movies work . Don't just tell me, show me! Also you said it yourself, the father has street smarts and knows how to stay alive ! That is a survival situation, shouldn't you listen to what he has to say about survival, when it is about staying alive then?
they do show you, look at the acts of the oldest to help her sister help her mother with something she has no clue about. Will finding the thing they need to help melt the ice. Yes, they should have listened to the father because of his knowledge, but this is where the human and relationship element comes into play, watch the interaction between the father and the rest of the family, most easily seen with the oldest kid, the doctor. and it seems like their personal feelings may have something to do with why they don't always do what he says, and the show does not come out and say what the relationships are, they are very subtle and hit about it, and I like that, it gives the sense of looking through a keyhole and not the characters talking to the audience, they don't have to spell out their relationship with each other, but by watching closely you can start to gain insight. lastly, you can know a lot about a topic or have skills in one way or another. but that does not mean you are mature, three of the five main people are 18 or under, they are going to act emotionally no matter how well they are trained in a field.
I get what they are trying to do, but it's so inconsistent that it's not to my taste.
in short, I do not find it inconsistent because of emotional responses kids or adults in awkward relationships would have no matter how well trained. It's not that it does not bother me, rather it's that the stupid choices make sense in the parameters of that person and the relationship of the people they are interacting with.

If you have not watched it yet try the expanse, very good sci-fi show. maybe it will be what you are looking for.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
4:
ob·jec·tive·ly
əbˈjektivlē,äbˈjektivlē/
adverb
  1. in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions.
    "events should be reported objectively"
    synonyms: impartially, without bias, without prejudice, evenhandedly, dispassionately, detachedly, equitably, fairly, justly, open-mindedly, with an open mind
    "encourage people to look at the information objectively and see how it will affect them"
Where some parts of a movie or show can be objective like does it make sense, the enjoyment of any art is subjective, and that is what I meant by art being totally subjective because enjoyment is really all that matters for any form of art.

3: I would also like to a see a sim, I have no question that it would not be what we saw in the show, but I think it would be at least semi-realistic from my understanding of thermodynamics.

2: my point was I saw on your list a few things like this, this just being the least spoiler and easies to point out. where I believe you missed something in the show. another being the families relationship with each other, especially the dad's relationship with the oldest.

1:

they do show you, look at the acts of the oldest to help her sister help her mother with something she has no clue about. Will finding the thing they need to help melt the ice. Yes, they should have listened to the father because of his knowledge, but this is where the human and relationship element comes into play, watch the interaction between the father and the rest of the family, most easily seen with the oldest kid, the doctor. and it seems like their personal feelings may have something to do with why they don't always do what he says, and the show does not come out and say what the relationships are, they are very subtle and hit about it, and I like that, it gives the sense of looking through a keyhole and not the characters talking to the audience, they don't have to spell out their relationship with each other, but by watching closely you can start to gain insight. lastly, you can know a lot about a topic or have skills in one way or another. but that does not mean you are mature, three of the five main people are 18 or under, they are going to act emotionally no matter how well they are trained in a field.

in short, I do not find it inconsistent because of emotional responses kids or adults in awkward relationships would have no matter how well trained. It's not that it does not bother me, rather it's that the stupid choices make sense in the parameters of that person and the relationship of the people they are interacting with.

If you have not watched it yet try the expanse, very good sci-fi show. maybe it will be what you are looking for.
First of all, thanks for the civilized and mature discussion! You do make some valid points, and if I'd rewatch the show I might spot some things you mentioned. Still, it can't change my first impression of the show, for the reasons I've already given. Maybe I'll give it a second chance a year later, if the second season comes out. That worked out well before (SGU is a good example)
Thanks for the recommendation ,the Expanse is the show I'm looking for, as I already mentioned it in my first post as a good example of strong female lead done well. Gonna watch that, and I'll leave you to enjoy this one. Also I really wanna get some mileage out of 3.1.2 before they reset my auec again lol
Ps.: I just noticed how bad my sentences are, with words missing and such. I'm Writing these on a phone, sometimes weird things happen, sry about that.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I forget what episode i'm on but it is definately a good show. They need to put less focus on the robot though I just hope it stays up there you know.

Forgot your password?