Making a WiFi card a hotspot.

Grisha

Admiral
May 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Saint-Grisha
The title basically says it all. What I want to do is make a machine for games streaming and was wondering if I could brodcast a WiFi network directly from a card, rather than using an external router .

Reactions: Vavrik and Sraika

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
That is an interesting question. I'm fairly certain the answer is no, but i'm not exactly the most knowledgeable about that sort of thing.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Sure you can do this. I do every time there is a power failure. But there is a caveat. You're going to be dependent on the wireless ISP, which is likely 4g or 5g. Those are expensive networks, and once you reach a certain threshold, they will most often throttle your connection. Unlimited data. Kind of.

Even if you can find a Wi-Fi ISP that uses Pringles method for long distance Wi-Fi, they tend to have bandwidth caps like that.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I've done it once or twice using the cellular connection in my laptop to connect to the internet. It's possible, by default windows has a setting allowing you to turn your system into a connection point.

Reactions: Bambooza

FeaturedSpace

Commander
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
FeaturedSpace

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Yes, you can do it, but you need an actual transmitter to attach to your computer. You can use a simple $50 USB WiFi transmitter if you want. Then you can have your network. You have to be careful though, because of cybersecurity stuff, but basically, just make sure you don't use this the wrong way!

http://www.hercules.com/us/legacy/bdd/p/33/hercules-wifi-usb-transmitter-hwgusb2-54v2-ap-/
And if you are going to use it the wrong way, run a Tails Bootable!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Are you all drunk or did i miss something in the OP? Don't remember any question about cell service or internet access just creating a wifi ad hoc network using a wifi card.

As for hot spots @Sirus7264 and @Vavrik mentioned correctly that most smart phones now easily allow tethering which is wonderful.

FeaturedSpace

Commander
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
FeaturedSpace
Are you all drunk or did i miss something in the OP? Don't remember any question about cell service or internet access just creating a wifi ad hoc network using a wifi card.

As for hot spots @Sirus7264 and @Vavrik mentioned correctly that most smart phones now easily allow tethering which is wonderful.
Wifi ad hoc.... Well, I still thought my answer was somewhat informative.. To myself :laughing:

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock

Expecting things to remain on topic on a TEST thread is your first mistake, friend.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Which is why i said am i missing something or is everyone drunk... Which in fact has both parts true.

Forgot your password?