McHale's Navy after 2021 IAE

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
After Increasing my fleet in 2020 through 2021 ILW, I then went about cutting crew requirements and reorganizing my fleet.
I also had a rule that I would only have one Carrier Fighter, in addition to an Eclipse, which is relatively long range and filled both Stealth Scout and Carrier Torpedo Bomber support for Test Squadron carriers but I was waiting for something cool to replace it with.
Then came the Liberator. :) The Liberator really changes the game for small ships.
The Liberator replaced my Carrack. It cut down crew requirements, and lessened the requirement to have only one Carrier Bird. :)
My Nox Que became a Sabre, through a Spartan and a Raft. :)

The Cutlass Blue is my Razorcrest (This is the way!) but it is a placeholder for the next great Bounty Hunter ship and may, or may not remain in the fleet. With a Liberator the Hawk does almost everything a Cutlass Blue can do.

Fleet role, bounty hunting and combat support, with a little bit of hauling possible.
McHalesNavy.jpg

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I am still pondering daily all the uses for the Liberator. I would certainly want to fly the Eclipse off the Liberator. You're right though, I don't think there is a single light fighter than has the range of the Eclipse. I think instead of teaming it with a fighter that has similar range, you might consider teaming it with a fighter with similar stealth.

Given you can park 3 Eclipse on top of the Lib, the question is, what three stealth fighters can you put inside the Lib to protect them and clear the space of light fighters so their torps make it to target? Maybe three Arrows if they'll fit inside? Total 7 ships and 7 players. That's pretty weildy and you can team with identical packages for greater effect.

Additionally, it appears without adding to the crew of a Retaliator, you could park it atop the Lib and support just that, with lots of extra fuel and munitions. Gives the Tally fantastic range with no additional players needed. Looks like a winning combo to me and again, you can add fighters for support if you can fit them inside.

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
That's a really cool fleet I got to say. I really dig liberator, but with the limited resources I got available, it's something I'll have to earn in game. Besides, the only thing a liberator could carry that I happen to have, would be the Hornet, so I guess I'll just have to hitch a ride. (Or my BMM might be able to carry the Hornet come to think of it).

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I am still pondering daily all the uses for the Liberator. I would certainly want to fly the Eclipse off the Liberator. You're right though, I don't think there is a single light fighter than has the range of the Eclipse. I think instead of teaming it with a fighter that has similar range, you might consider teaming it with a fighter with similar stealth.

Given you can park 3 Eclipse on top of the Lib, the question is, what three stealth fighters can you put inside the Lib to protect them and clear the space of light fighters so their torps make it to target? Maybe three Arrows if they'll fit inside? Total 7 ships and 7 players. That's pretty weildy and you can team with identical packages for greater effect.

Additionally, it appears without adding to the crew of a Retaliator, you could park it atop the Lib and support just that, with lots of extra fuel and munitions. Gives the Tally fantastic range with no additional players needed. Looks like a winning combo to me and again, you can add fighters for support if you can fit them inside.
I don't see an Eclipse fitting on the XXS pad. The Eclipse does have just over twice the Quantum fuel of the normal small fuel tanks. (1150 vs. 538)

My better half and I each have a Hawk, a Sabre, a Blue, a Vanguard and an MSR. We are debating a second Eclipse.

The Liberator is to move the small ships and gear if we are moving our base of operations but more importantly to move the Hawks for long range bounty missions.

The Retaliator shouldn't need the Liberator.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
That's a really cool fleet I got to say. I really dig liberator, but with the limited resources I got available, it's something I'll have to earn in game. Besides, the only thing a liberator could carry that I happen to have, would be the Hornet, so I guess I'll just have to hitch a ride. (Or my BMM might be able to carry the Hornet come to think of it).
The BMM has an XS pad, so can carry a Hornet.

But if you need a lift. :)

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I don't see an Eclipse fitting on the XXS pad.
The Lib's pads are wider then the Hornet, so at least 25m. The Eclipse is only 20m long, so odds are excellent it will fit crosswise with its wings up.
The Retaliator shouldn't need the Liberator.
Depends who you're hunting. If you're hunting across Vanduul space, you'll want to launch from the closest, safe, quiet UEE space and that could be 2-3 systems away from your target. Personally, I think it would be extremely cool to lurk in some asteroid belt 100Mkm away from the Vanduul and hit them three systems from the Orion boarder. Can't have too much range and the Libs feel like they deserve to be lived on.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The Lib's pads are wider then the Hornet, so at least 25m. The Eclipse is only 20m long, so odds are excellent it will fit crosswise with its wings up.
Depends who you're hunting. If you're hunting across Vanduul space, you'll want to launch from the closest, safe, quiet UEE space and that could be 2-3 systems away from your target. Personally, I think it would be extremely cool to lurk in some asteroid belt 100Mkm away from the Vanduul and hit them three systems from the Orion boarder. Can't have too much range and the Libs feel like they deserve to be lived on.
I'm not counting on, even, the Hawks fitting on the front pads. I feel it is safer to do that until CIG proves me wrong. I'll probably pick up a Razor or a Pices, in game, for the front pad.

The Retaliator, like the Vanguard, is supposed to have multi-system range. The Retaliator requires a size M pad. So, not only won't I plan on the Retaliator fitting on the deck, it shouldn't need to.

The primary plan for the Liberator is to carry the Hawks to the target area, preferably a friendly station, then use the Hawks to execute local warrants. Returning to base when done.

Reactions: vahadar and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The Super Hornet, Hurricane and Gladiator all fit on the top pads. During IAE, they had a game package that had all 3 of those ships parked on top. In the picture, there was space to walk around each ship.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The Super Hornet, Hurricane and Gladiator all fit on the top pads. During IAE, they had a game package that had all 3 of those ships parked on top. In the picture, there was space to walk around each ship.
I think it is better to go with what they told us, that it is 2xXS pads and 1xXXS pad and those limits until the ship is in game and we can see what actually can be carried.

In any event, we have no need to pack it to the rafters. :) Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

For our use case, I don't really see needing more than 2 pads. While using 3 pads for moving our small ships to a new base would bring us from 3 trips down to 2, it isn't a necessity. Mostly we are just moving a pair of Hawks, a couple of bikes, maybe an Ursa or Cyclone, and supplies/gear.

My biggest concern is what is the range of our Razorcrests, I mean Cutlass Blues. :)

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I think it is better to go with what they told us, that it is 2xXS pads and 1xXXS pad and those limits until the ship is in game and we can see what actually can be carried.
Understand that CIG has not defined XS and XXS publicly, leaving us to guess what they mean. But they had this in the Q&A. The reason it's useful is it gives examples. Take it or leave it.

"What is the largest ship that can be parked in each of the garages, the upper landing pads, and the front landing pad?
The garages and front landing pad can store ground vehicles up to and including the Tumbril Nova and Anvil Ballista, and what we refer to internally as ‘XXS’ ships, which includes the Argo MPUV and Origin 85x.

The upper landing pads support ‘XS’ ships, which includes most single-seat combat ships (Aegis Sabre, Anvil Hornet and Arrow, etc.) and other single-player ships such as the MISC Prospector. "

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Understand that CIG has not defined XS and XXS publicly, leaving us to guess what they mean. But they had this in the Q&A. The reason it's useful is it gives examples. Take it or leave it.

"What is the largest ship that can be parked in each of the garages, the upper landing pads, and the front landing pad?
The garages and front landing pad can store ground vehicles up to and including the Tumbril Nova and Anvil Ballista, and what we refer to internally as ‘XXS’ ships, which includes the Argo MPUV and Origin 85x.

The upper landing pads support ‘XS’ ships, which includes most single-seat combat ships (Aegis Sabre, Anvil Hornet and Arrow, etc.) and other single-player ships such as the MISC Prospector. "
They have, back when John Crewe described the change to the Polaris. (Sorry, no link.)
Size XS is any size 1 or 2 ship.
Size XXS would be any size 1 ship. (Though the game files, apparently, have some ships misidentified.) Either the Pices or the Arrow, should be the largest Size 1 ship.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
They have, back when John Crewe described the change to the Polaris. (Sorry, no link.)
Size XS is any size 1 or 2 ship.
Size XXS would be any size 1 ship. (Though the game files, apparently, have some ships misidentified.) Either the Pices or the Arrow, should be the largest Size 1 ship.
Ya, but that doesn't say much. In fact it does not quite define the sizes just also gives some examples. I think the community is going on a 313.1 update and a pile of guesses. Until CIG defines it, it would be helpful if we didn't read too much into it. Video link is here:

View: https://youtu.be/NTLpV4rAPLA?t=1349

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
For sure you can't mine with those ;) and your fleet is more fight oriented. But you can pew pew, hunt, do a bit of cargo, drop ship, hauling stuff, bombing, plus extra with MSR. Not a big do it all fleet but you have almost all fighter gameplay covered. Very efficient.
You know you're right but it's HIS gameplay... that's what I love about SC. If you want to be a bounty hunter, on either side of the law - you certainly can! And for stated purpose and a bit more, like even some fair size trading - that does look like a great fleet.

Edit: Unlike mine which looks like I can't make up my mind between exploration (and I don't think it's a spectator sport) and a bunch of industry stuff that I certainly want' expecting to like ... but I do.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?