Meanwhile, in the TEST kitchen... (pie)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well, this went as badly as you would expect from a Testie!
Crash and burned, down the kitchen, almost.

Halfway through the baking, the fluids leaked over the sides, made a nice big pool of burned sugary pile in the bottom of the oven, and smoked like a pothead on 4 20.
I had to turn it off before the neighbours called in the fire.
So it is half done, the juices on top still slosh around when I move it. Its basically trash at this point. I'll try to save it,but first I gotta save the oven somehow, as tomorrow is Pizza day...

Anyways, as promised like over a year ago after I made the Test pizza, here is a testiepie for promotional purposes @Montoya

IMG_20200415_195041~2.jpg

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Well, this went as badly as you would expect from a Testie!
Crash and burned, down the kitchen, almost.

Halfway through the baking, the fluids leaked over the sides, made a nice big pool of burned sugary pile in the bottom of the oven, and smoked like a pothead on 4 20.
I had to turn it off before the neighbours called in the fire.
So it is half done, the juices on top still slosh around when I move it. Its basically trash at this point. I'll try to save it,but first I gotta save the oven somehow, as tomorrow is Pizza day...

Anyways, as promised like over a year ago after I made the Test pizza, here is a testiepie for promotional purposes @Montoya

View attachment 15499
So you are sharing slices with everyone right? I should fully expect my slice to be in the mail

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Did you drink beer while making it and remember to put beer in it?
If not, could that be why things went wrong?
Yes, exactly! I didn't have any beers while making this, that's why I effed up! Damn I'm stupid! 🤣🤣🤣

(Alas I was on kid security duty while also doing the baking as the Mrs. was out shopping necessities, so I didn't really feel like having a drink at 4 in the afternoon on a workday lol)

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Yes, exactly! I didn't have any beers while making this, that's why I effed up! Damn I'm stupid! 🤣🤣🤣

(Alas I was on kid security duty while also doing the baking as the Mrs. was out shopping necessities, so I didn't really feel like having a drink at 4 in the afternoon on a workday lol)
At least you've identified the issue for future endeavors!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Wow that is a lovely looking test pie best pie. I really would like to American Pie the heck outta that!!

Well my cooking ability goes as far as cutting up some king prawns with a scissors and putting them into my king pot noodle sticky rib.

Tasted fabulous by the way!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thank you a for the kind words, and @Deroth for pointing out the error in my process!
Requested pieces of the pie will be posted in a plain white paper envelope, folded, by tomorrow 25pm. Expect them to arrive in 14-30 days!

Ps.: although I tried to clean it, the bottom of the oven is still in very bad shape. I'll try and grab some proper oven cleaner the next time I'm out shopping, until then Any suggestions on cleaning hard burned stuff out of it is welcome! (Its a cheap regular stove oven, painted metal)
So far I tried polar bear friendly bio gluten free degreaser and some other non toxic cleaning products, and the apple-vinegar+sugar method. Non of it made any difference. I don't wanna scratch the coating too much so I haven't gone 400lb gorilla mode on it just yet.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Thank you a for the kind words, and @Deroth for pointing out the error in my process!
Requested pieces of the pie will be posted in a plain white paper envelope, folded, by tomorrow 25pm. Expect them to arrive in 14-30 days!

Ps.: although I tried to clean it, the bottom of the oven is still in very bad shape. I'll try and grab some proper oven cleaner the next time I'm out shopping, until then Any suggestions on cleaning hard burned stuff out of it is welcome! (Its a cheap regular stove oven, painted metal)
So far I tried polar bear friendly bio gluten free degreaser and some other non toxic cleaning products, and the apple-vinegar+sugar method. Non of it made any difference. I don't wanna scratch the coating too much so I haven't gone 400lb gorilla mode on it just yet.
I'm guessing the oven doesn't have a self cleaning mode? What's the highest temp it supports?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Any suggestions on cleaning hard burned stuff out of it is welcome! (Its a cheap regular stove oven, painted metal)
Hammer and chisel? I'm afraid you probably need to use something environmentally unfriendly...the kind of chemicals that one whiff will impair your lung functioning forever...you may not want to use during the COVID-19 pandemic, however.

After you do clean it, the best thing then is either "prevention" (coat bottom of oven with tin foil, use better dishes/pans to catch all the grease) and rapid clean up. Note, this is one of those "take my advice, because I ain't using it" suggestions.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
No self clean. -it has a circulation fan, an extra "grill mode" heating element exposed in the top, and that's it. It can be set to 250 C (482F) max but what the real max temp inside is, I can't tell.
It is my understanding that oven self cleaning temperatures are in the 500 degrees Celsius or 900 degrees Fahrenheit range, so I'm not sure how effective the temperatures for oven supports would be.
I've read that 250C for an hour can burn off some things so maybe give that a try?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It is my understanding that oven self cleaning temperatures are in the 500 degrees Celsius or 900 degrees Fahrenheit range, so I'm not sure how effective the temperatures for oven supports would be.
I've read that 250C for an hour can burn off some things so maybe give that a try?
Will do if non of the cleaning liquids work. Should help get rid of the grease and other bits that would emit a smoke/smell into the food.

Hammer and chisel? I'm afraid you probably need to use something environmentally unfriendly...the kind of chemicals that one whiff will impair your lung functioning forever...you may not want to use during the COVID-19 pandemic, however.

After you do clean it, the best thing then is either "prevention" (coat bottom of oven with tin foil, use better dishes/pans to catch all the grease) and rapid clean up. Note, this is one of those "take my advice, because I ain't using it" suggestions.
Lol thanks! I'll try the more aggressive cleaning stuff first, than do the chisel!

Forgot your password?