Other Medical interest

What kinda medicating can you do?

• I don't have a "proper" medical ship, but I'd be willing to drive drunk TESTies to the hospital

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • I have a Cutlass Red or similar ambulance-type ship

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I have a Carrack or similar with its own small medical bay for person respawns

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • I have a Hope-class Endeavor or similar with a medbay and hangar for ship respawns

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
More than anything else this is just a curiosity post from me. As always this is not any sort of commitment thread - I'm just looking for numbers on how many people can provide medical support, not how many are going to mainly provide medical support.

I'd kinda like to see an Ordo Medicae spring up at some point. All major operations are going to need to at least acknowledge that TESTies are drunk and crashes/barfights/alcohol poisoning will happen, and make some sort of preparations for it. I'm not saying every mining op should have a nanny hospital parked nearby, but major operations could benefit from respawn control - and the best way to do that is by knowing where your nearest doctor is. So...

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
I have an interest in the medical side but have held back from investing any cash. Once we get some game mechanics in that involve recovery and/or resuscitation then I suspect that I'll be getting involved in that element of the game.

I would doubt that we'll see disease. This is partially due to development resources being needed in so many other areas first, but mainly because I'm not sure that it would benefit the game in a meaningful way. I've seen disease implemented (briefly) in a MMORPG and it was a short-lived phenomenon and I don't think anyone appreciated it.

Last edited:

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Have a Caterpillar and expecting it to have some form of clinic module eventually. I've liked support roles in other games. I do hope the modularity of the Caterpillar would allow me to do more than just one thing though.

With the injury system they are talking about, I hope there will be some depth to the medical task mechanics. Not just "hold this button to heal" or "pay these credits to respawn." I would enjoy having to search for the cure for some alien illness but I'd expect it to be limited to npcs mostly. Many players would get way too salty if they had Martian diarrhea sidetracking them from their own game goals (and I wouldn't blame them, Martian diarrhea is the worst!).
I think it would be fun to have some sort of black market for cyborg prosthesis with hidden stashes, concealed weapons, or x-ray vision. Being some sort of organic mechanic would be a blast.

Last edited:

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
Have a Caterpillar and expecting it to have some form of clinic module eventually. I've liked support roles in other games. I do hope the modularity of the Caterpillar would allow me to do more than just one thing though.

With the injury system they are talking about, I hope there will be some depth to the medical task mechanics. Not just "hold this button to heal" or "pay these credits to respawn." I would enjoy having to search for the cure for some alien illness but I'd expect it to be limited to npcs mostly. Many players would get way too salty if they had Martian diarrhea sidetracking them from their own game goals (and I wouldn't blame them, Martian diarrhea is the worst!).
I think it would be fun to have some sort of black market for cyborg prosthesis with hidden stashes, concealed weapons, or x-ray vision. Being some sort of organic mechanic would be a blast.
They mentioned in Death of a Spaceman that, after you get disabled a lot (and depending on how you get disabled), your body parts will start to go - you'll need prostheses or limb donations to continue normal function. I would be surprised if they don't include a minigame for the doctors wherein you install new limbs on your erstwhile patients. I see running a hospital being more like the extant Mining Minigames than like Surgeon Simulator, but who knows? They could surprise me.

But getting back on topic wrt black market prosthetics, I can't imagine them not having the functionality in place to upgrade prostheses in some way. I don't think it'll be available in the standard respawn minigame, but I can imagine it being an optional procedure after the fact that you can pay a doctor to do.

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
In most fantasy RPGs, unless I want to be a lone rogue, I'm usually a healer of some sort. At the same time, I've really enjoyed the combat in AC, and I think I'm not half bad. I'm stealing Rolokipp's idea of being a combat medic (I think that was Rolo who gave me that idea...). I could be independent, fight, yet still be in a support role. I like that.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
They mentioned in Death of a Spaceman that, after you get disabled a lot (and depending on how you get disabled), your body parts will start to go - you'll need prostheses or limb donations to continue normal function. I would be surprised if they don't include a minigame for the doctors wherein you install new limbs on your erstwhile patients. I see running a hospital being more like the extant Mining Minigames than like Surgeon Simulator, but who knows? They could surprise me.

But getting back on topic wrt black market prosthetics, I can't imagine them not having the functionality in place to upgrade prostheses in some way. I don't think it'll be available in the standard respawn minigame, but I can imagine it being an optional procedure after the fact that you can pay a doctor to do.
TEST Squardon Surgeon Simulator: Aurora goes in brain, yes? Let me pour beer directly into your liver for you!
I think I'd prefer it to be something like the proposed mining mini-game, rather than something too realistic. I'm a retired Army Medic IRL and I'm not looking to go back to work anytime soon. Still, some understanding of breathing and bleeding would be good.
In most fantasy RPGs, unless I want to be a lone rogue, I'm usually a healer of some sort. At the same time, I've really enjoyed the combat in AC, and I think I'm not half bad. I'm stealing Rolokipp's idea of being a combat medic (I think that was Rolo who gave me that idea...). I could be independent, fight, yet still be in a support role. I like that.
I played medic mostly in Planetside 2. Carry a rifle and be just as much cannon fodder as everyone else, but be quick with the revives and you could turn the tide.

I doubt I would get the Cutlass Red (even if Cutlass rework goes well) as it seems to be dedicated to ambulance service, but I look forward to fighters that have some form of cargo space. That way, you can stash an aid bag and a tool kit to do some support as needed.

Last edited:

fiarce

Space Marshal
Jul 19, 2016
RSI Handle
fiarce
I have a Cutlass Red and Endeavor as well. Though the Endeavor will be primarily for other purposes, but could be kitted for med duty - in a pinch...

Reactions: AstroSam

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
It'll be interesting to see how they implement the medical system with ships like the Cutlass Red and Endeavor. With all the detail that CIG and Chris Roberts are putting into the rest of SC, it'd be a shame to see them simply make all the medical ships mobile respawn points.

Reactions: AstroSam

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
Im pretty sure that the Red wont have a respawn point.
Seconded. The way they're describing it right now is more like someone has to actually pick your body up and drag it to a doctor before you can "respawn," and that only counts for your body - apparently you need a hangar to have your ship "sent to" in order to respawn it. While I approve of the level of detail (and the fact that medical people will have a constant source of income), I don't see normal people being too fond of the wait times - especially for their walking-around-body respawn.

I'm curious how they're going to do the "ambulance med-evac" system. Do incapacitated players get a say in which ambulance picks them up? How does the charge system work, is it a flat fee with bonuses for speed or does the ambulance get to set it? Does that mean respawnees get billed by the ambulance and the hospital?

Don't take this the wrong way, I love any chance for a medcorp to make cash... but if the costs get too out of control, I imagine the fan backlash will make CIG ramp it down, and that usually leads to overcorrection. Medicine is gonna be boring as it is - I hope it's at least lucrative to make up for the boredom.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
More than anything else this is just a curiosity post from me. As always this is not any sort of commitment thread - I'm just looking for numbers on how many people can provide medical support, not how many are going to mainly provide medical support.

I'd kinda like to see an Ordo Medicae spring up at some point. All major operations are going to need to at least acknowledge that TESTies are drunk and crashes/barfights/alcohol poisoning will happen, and make some sort of preparations for it. I'm not saying every mining op should have a nanny hospital parked nearby, but major operations could benefit from respawn control - and the best way to do that is by knowing where your nearest doctor is. So...

Perhaps it would be interesting for you to get in contact with C.R.A.S.H. corps -> http://crashcorps.de/

They are a German community which has specialized on that topic; nevertheless they seem to be able to speak and understand english language as they have proven while interviewing Chris and Sandi: https://testsquadron.com/threads/star-citizen-insider-questions-for-chris-roberts-gamescom-2016.8320/

Could be a useful exchange of information I guess.

Reactions: Beerjerker

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
You had me at"cyborg prosthesis"
Many players would get way too salty if they had Martian diarrhea sidetracking them from their own game goals (and I wouldn't blame them, Martian diarrhea is the worst!).
Apparently you have never suffered from Saturnian ringworm!

Reactions: Beerjerker
Forgot your password?