mmmm raspberry pi

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
finally got around to setting up pi hole on my ras pi 2 and its....AWESOME. hardware ad blocking for the whole house! why didn't i do this sooner?!? really easy to setup and works like a dream. so, effectively my cheap lil pi is now a hardware ad block and a mumble server. just thought i would share :)

edit: guess i should add this will work on any arm pc that can run debian. so orange pi would be a cheaper option if you live no where near a microcenter to get your hands on a pi zero

pihole.png

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Outstanding. I think I am going to follow suit. Thanks for pointing this out!

Reactions: glockjs

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
Outstanding. I think I am going to follow suit. Thanks for pointing this out!
guess i should also point out if you have a family you can blacklist sites. so if you don't want the kids going to certain sites you just black list it and it'll just show a blank white page when you go to that site.

Reactions: Bruttle

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
guess i should also point out if you have a family you can blacklist sites. so if you don't want the kids going to certain sites you just black list it and it'll just show a blank white page when you go to that site.
In fact, I do. I have been running software solutions for that, but I love redundancy. Having a hardware solution in addition to software would be amazing. Thanks again!

Edit: My daughter tried forging for the first time at 7 years old. I have no idea where she learned it but it was shockingly good. Hence my wife and my need to constantly outsmart our daughter...

Th3Damien

Grand Admiral
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Damien212
finally got around to setting up pi hole on my ras pi 2 and its....AWESOME. hardware ad blocking for the whole house! why didn't i do this sooner?!? really easy to setup and works like a dream. so, effectively my cheap lil pi is now a hardware ad block and a mumble server. just thought i would share :)

edit: guess i should add this will work on any arm pc that can run debian. so orange pi would be a cheaper option if you live no where near a microcenter to get your hands on a pi zero

View attachment 3561
That's amazing. I've got a Pi that's been sitting idle since I retired it as a media server after getting a DLNA capable TV (for streaming from my NAS and a fire stick (for everything else). I'm definitely going to turn it into an adblocker when I get home.

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
Shit, Don't tell my parents! However the only pi in outlet house is currently in a vending machine so HA!

Good job btw, looks interesting

Th3Damien

Grand Admiral
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Damien212

That's amazing. I've got a Pi that's been sitting idle since I retired it as a media server after getting a DLNA capable TV (for streaming from my NAS and a fire stick (for everything else). I'm definitely going to turn it into an adblocker when I get home.
Well, that was easy :)

I've noticed it's a bit screwy with youtube video ads (sometimes removes the skip button but leaves the video playing) but leaving the browser adblocker switched on clears that up.

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
Edit: My daughter tried forging for the first time at 7 years old. I have no idea where she learned it but it was shockingly good. Hence my wife and my need to constantly outsmart our daughter...
back the fuck up, forging? As in blacksmithing? Dude! Your daughter is awesome!

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
Well, that was easy :)

I've noticed it's a bit screwy with youtube video ads (sometimes removes the skip button but leaves the video playing) but leaving the browser adblocker switched on clears that up.
maaan i'm jelly i should have gotten the mini screen for my pi. pia to plug and un plug the only hdmi i got goin to the tv lol. but yeah it's stupid simple to install. thing is using the google dns they're not gonna block their own ads lol. so yeah i still use ublock and it seems to be a happy pair. the pi hole just cuts down a lot of work the ublock usually does making things go faster :)

DrunkenTeddy

Order of 10 High Priest
Donor
Apr 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DrunkenTeddy
I use my Raspberry Pi to stream movies/TV using Kodi and Exodus. I also have it set up to dual boot into Recalbox for SNES and N64 emulation. Lots of fun with that thing, though the n64 emulation is a bit laggy in some games.

Daak Seed

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
daak-seed
That's very nice indeed! I need to replace my Pi2 with Pi3 to run both Pi Hole & my owncloud file server.

Frankly speaking, Pi is still one the best pieces of hardware I have ever bought.

Forgot your password?