More intel-optane anal squeezing, thoughts?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

So even if you get a new one and have to exchange due to being defective, if the promo is completely sold out for replacement, your Raven is removed. And 3D NAND tech is nowhere near as stable as magnetic disc storage (your typical hard drives) and has a much quicker failure rate than say a good old western digital black or gold. I have a problem with this, once you have a UPC + receipt + redeem card + redeem code ... that promo is YOURS FOREVER... it's always been that way for every promo I've ever received. It's been that way for the AMD Omega's as well IIRC in that when you redeem the code that's it, it's yours forever. Thoughts?

Just ignore my thread... nothing to see here

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
So even if you get a new one and have to exchange due to being defective, if the promo is completely sold out for replacement, your Raven is removed.
Lets be logical here, if this does happen, I am willing to bet you $100 that CIG will honor your Raven ownership and either allow you to keep it or replace it.

You bought an SSD because you wanted the Raven. The SSD fails, you send it in to get it replaced. That Raven will be in your account for sure.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I don't think there is any concern for worry, if you payed for a Raven promo disk and it fails it' s exchange to a new drive not a return of the original promo pack it self. I would be very surprised if CIG did not honor the original deal as binding unless you return the hole original promo packages with the drive and ask for a full refund which in that case the Raven should be removed from a account.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Found this info on the trading subreddit

Unmeltable, ungiftable.....

That's not a very friendly promo.... AMD Omega was a better promo because we were able to gift them.

I saw someone claim to have bought 10 so that he could gift them... rip doing that in game or through the RSI website.

edit:
here's the TOS link
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/intel-optane

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666

That's not a very friendly promo.... AMD Omega was a better promo because we were able to gift them.

I saw someone claim to have bought 10 so that he could gift them... rip doing that in game or through the RSI website.

Well his plan might be to gift the hole packages with the drives and all I can't see how that would be a problem unless he entered the code to get all 10 ships in to his account which in this case would be a Naa naa naa naa naaaa na (RIP)
:ghost:

Mazawrath

Captain
Feb 1, 2017
RSI Handle
Mazawrath
Well his plan might be to gift the hole packages with the drives and all I can't see how that would be a problem unless he entered the code to get all 10 ships in to his account which in this case would be a Naa naa naa naa naaaa na (RIP)
:ghost:
Well you're always subject to losing it either way if the drive is returned. Might as well gift the whole thing.

Dylan Phoenix

Vice Admiral
Aug 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Dylan_Garrett

edit:
here's the TOS link
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/intel-optane
The ship being ungiftable / unmeltable aspect probably has nothing to do with the promo itself; but CIG's recent plans / actions to prevent grey market sales (or at least attempt to)...similar to when they tried to remove the ability to purchase $0-10 CCU's and everyone freaked out over it.

To me, here's the real question:
"Why doesn't it have LTI?" lol

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Seems to me that Intel is not acting in "good faith" with its consumer base. Their unwillingness to allow a player to keep their special edition ship should they return the drive due to defect almost undermines all of the claims of this drive having superb stability by Intel.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Have they delivered it yet? What does it smell of?

If it smells like the inside of your own head, it probably doesn't smell of anything and you are just smelling what the inside of your own head.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Have they delivered it yet? What does it smell of?

If it smells like the inside of your own head, it probably doesn't smell of anything and you are just smelling what the inside of your own head.
Redeemed

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
Remember, you gotta deal with lowest common denominator. Which would be you would have people buying the Optane 900P, redemming the code and then returning the SSD which means they get a Sabre Raven for free.

I honestly think if you return it you should lose the raven code, but if you send it in for replacement you should keep it.

Mazawrath

Captain
Feb 1, 2017
RSI Handle
Mazawrath
Remember, you gotta deal with lowest common denominator. Which would be you would have people buying the Optane 900P, redemming the code and then returning the SSD which means they get a Sabre Raven for free.

I honestly think if you return it you should lose the raven code, but if you send it in for replacement you should keep it.
You do lose the Raven if the drive is returned, that's been confirmed.

Forgot your password?