Mounted guns - Space drive by?

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I just want to be able to mount the guns on top of a ship!

Reactions: Zookajoe

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I like that they are updating the Valkyrie side guns to this, now I can blast xeno scum while yelling "Get some!"

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog

Attachments

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
As much As I'll like it I don''t think we'll be able to install some manned guns on our ship right from the beginning.
I'll like to have a couple of minigun on the side door of the Cutty black but for the first interaction I'll expect those to be fixed and pre-placed in meaningfull location, like the new NPC outpost of the already in-game bunker to support the AA-turret already in place, probably also at some pirate outpost or into some pirate-infested wrecks to spicy up the FPS missions a little bit.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I can see the mounted railgun trolley being a thing.

Reactions: Sky Captain

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
What exactly was being updated with them?
If I understand correctly right now the guns at side doors work basically like turrets (the older model) with the gun stick to the camera, with the update it will behave more properly with the player actually moving the gun bu draggin and pushing it, not only but not bbeing tied toa ship function anymore those gun enplacement can now being used outside vehicles.

Player side is basically is an aestetic not really a functional change, at least for now, in the future I can see this open up more option, like the installation of those fixed gun in other ships, like the Cuttlass side door ot the cargo area of the Nomads

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
While dining I've have a flash on the conseguences of this implementation... I think wine help, a lot, but that's another story....

Right now we have only automated AA turret, but with this feature implemented what about mannned AA turret, like the WW2 AA gun emplacement on ships?
Think about it and how it will change some of the current missions, like the bunker mission for example.

Right now we have 5 AA turret that will track and attack your ship as soon as you enter the turrets' guns' range, but what if some of those turrets will be replaced by man operated AA ones?
Think about a mission where AI doesn't know about you incoming untill your ship is detected by a radar, they they have to rush for the AA gun for operate them and try to blow you out of the sky.
That could lead to a new gamplay approach where you can use a stealth approach, using a low signature ship, landing far away from the outpost to avoid detection, approach with a ground vehicle, then infiltrate the station and take the occupants out one by one with a silenced weapon.
Or you could use the "doom guy approach" and go in with a full power ship, that is detected far away, so that the occupants have time to rush for the turrets and be able to engage you with them.

Also there are two type of that kind of mission: the legal and illegal one. That could mean a differrent behavior of the occupants like the pirate one being less disciplined and eventually flee for the bunker if you take out too much turrets, while the military guards, having a better training, being able not only to coordinate theyr defense better (like focus fire to take down incoming missiles), but also not flee in the heat of the battle...

I think that make this feature much more interesting that is sound at a first glance.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I'm picturing it now. An Idris P that finally gets its rightful armaments by placing 200 deck gunners with these guns on top of the ship.

Forgot your password?