MSR makes MAX and Cutty Black obsolete? Thoughts?

SoloPlayerZA

Grand Admiral
May 1, 2019
RSI Handle
SoloPlayerZA
Hi all

I know the price point is very different... but if you had a Cutty and a MAX, would the MSR not make them both obsolete? So if you had these two, would it not be better to melt them and get a MSR?

My main question:
-Is there anything the MAX and / or Cutty can do that the MSR cannot?

Thanks!

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
Is there anything the Aurora can do that the Cutty cannot? It's just natural progression of a bigger, more capable, more expensive ship. However, I have the Cutty and eagerly waiting my MSR to drop in the patch and I KNOW I won't be forsaking the Cutty when it drops. The smaller ship simply being easier to 'get in and go', an easier runaround.
The MSR will be a lot more costly to run, repair and refuel and will continue to use the Cutty for smaller runs and missions I still enjoy. It entirely depends on the type of gameplay you choose to explore, because, there is a suitable and unsuitable job for every ship out there and you always gotta use the right tool for the right job.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Hi all

I know the price point is very different... but if you had a Cutty and a MAX, would the MSR not make them both obsolete? So if you had these two, would it not be better to melt them and get a MSR?

My main question:
-Is there anything the MAX and / or Cutty can do that the MSR cannot?

Thanks!
Cutty:
Fit in a small hangar .
Blend in with the crowd.

What @Firebrand said. I have a freelancer and 300i available, but if I just want to hop on over to some place to shop or something I still use my aurora or mustang cos it's easier and faster to to get in and out of and just to generally fly around in atmo, and I don't mind if I loose it due to a 30K cos it takes mich less time to reclaim. So yeah, there are practical reasons to keep smaller ships around still.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well I'm not sure about the Freelancer since a) I don't own it and b) I consider it a crappy ship (like most MISC ship actually...), but for the Cutty I don't think the MSR will compleately replace it, but that depent on everyone use of the ship.

First of all the Cutty is much smaller then the implemented MSR (originally MSR concept was just a little bigger, now is a more beefy and better Conny), that measn it fit in places where the MSR couldn't reach and also Cutty will be more easy to land on uneven terrain.
Second the Cutty still have those sweet side door that are a charm for space operation, be that a salvage operation or a boarding action, also the cutty can easily trasport 2 Cyclone or 1Cyclone and 6 man in the back (there are fold-down seats ner the exit ramp), so it could easily be used as a small dropship.
Finally there is a fighter aspect: I'm yet to get my hands on it, but as agile as it can be the MSR is a much larger ship, so I'll espect to bas agile as the Cutty at best and even if it equal the agility the Cutty still have both a smaller CX and more firepoower/crew considering it can sport 3xS3 fixed liked to the pilot plus a turret.

In the end as I say at the beginning it all came down on how you use your ship: for sole cargo, for fighter, as a mobile home... based on those aspect everyone should conssider if the ship is worth it or not.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
A lot stuff has been pointed out

The Max is better at its only purpose: Hauling a relative large amount of commodities in a relative small ship. (120 SCU vs 96 SCU = 20 % more profit per run) see correction below
It has a pretty decent armament with its gimbaled S3 so you can at least stand on your own a little bit better than the MSR. (If it was a little bit more agile i would call it battle freighter) see correction below

Cutlass Black has its own purpose which has been solidly pointed out by Cugino83

MSR with its "dish shape" looks like its a bigger target than the MAX.

Opinion:
If you want to (help) fighting and defending your cargo and if you never considered Data Running as an occupation stick with Cutlass/MAX.
If you prefer running away and Data Running might be interesting to you go for the MSR.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
A lot stuff has been pointed out

The Max is better at its only purpose: Hauling a relative large amount of commodities in a relative small ship. (120 SCU vs 96 SCU = 20 % more profit per run)
Just to correct this point: the MSR have 96 SCU of official cargo, BUT it also have another 18 SCU of illegal less-official good, so it has a total of 114 SCU (hold my beer Conny...).
So yes, the MAX still have more space in form of 6 more SCU, but the difference is very close.
Also I assume that the MAX, being build for the hauling purpose, have a better fuel efficiency an aspect that the MSR is actually a bit lacking of (but it seams to have a fuel scoop, so it can balance it out somehow)

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
The Max is better at its only purpose: Hauling a relative large amount of commodities in a relative small ship. (120 SCU vs 96 SCU = 20 % more profit per run)
It has a pretty decent armament with its gimbaled S3 so you can at least stand on your own a little bit better than the MSR. (If it was a little bit more agile i would call it battle freighter)

MSR with its "dish shape" looks like its a bigger target than the MAX. (Also they are close in size).
The MSR also has Gimbled S3s as well as 2x S3 Turrets and by the looks of it, the MSR handles a lot better too. But as pointed out, the MAX will have better fuel efficiency over shorter distances and less presence to be victimised. Even the the MSR will be faster, it has a greater profile and will be much easier to hit I think. It is not close in size to the Lancer, it is significantly larger...
MSR-Size-Comparisons.jpg

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
The MSR also has Gimbled S3s as well as 2x S3 Turrets and by the looks of it, the MSR handles a lot better too. But as pointed out, the MAX will have better fuel efficiency over shorter distances and less presence to be victimised. Even the the MSR will be faster, it has a greater profile and will be much easier to hit I think.
Did they upgraded it?
i thought it had gimbaled S2

Edit:
Oh yeah looks like it... CIG Your Ship Matrix never cease to amaze me

Last edited:

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
Well the MSR is bigger and more expensive then both ships, and that is significant. Sometimes smaller is better, and not everyone can afford the bigger MSR price (both in and out of game cash)

FL Max still has more cargo, and may fit in smaller jump points that the MSR can't
Cutty is still going to be better if it comes to a down and out fight

But overall the MSR is better in most ways, but you pay for it too. Just like that Mercedes is better then my Jetta

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
We don't have rotation and lateral acceleration figures for the MSR yet, so comparisons to other medium ships seem a bit early. It's quite possible it is as fast as a medium ship, but does not turn well (like the 600i and Carrack). That would end the comparison to medium ships like the Cutty and Lancer.

Presuming it does handle like a medium ship, I think you'd still rather have the Cutty to fight with. Not sure what will become of the Lancer. Surely though in a conflict, the MSR needs to run away from almost anything. If you're not comfortable running from conflicts, it's not the ship for you.

Note too, the hidden cargo area is not so far as I'm aware, an addition to the 96 cargo, and out of that 96 total, you lose about half if you put a rover in. People are going to be very disappointed if they convince themselves this ship can do everything better than all the ships it competes with, including the Connie and Corsair. Despite what the ships page says, this is really a large ship built with medium components, just like the Connie and Corsair. That's where the best comparisons lie.

Why choose a large ship made with medium components, when the large components like those on the 600i give such a bonus? I think the best reason is if you're interested in stealth. There are no Large stealth components.

It remains to be seen if you can run this on a pair of Eclipse, and what the EM sigs will be. I'm hoping this is a great stealth platform, but right now, no one knows.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well, I agree that che Cutty is more suitable as a fighter, but concerning the handling of the MSR at the moment seams preatty fine, defenetly "handle below is weight":
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Pp-mVZDNU

Of course this could be balance and tuned down, but considering the lack of firepower I'm not sure this could actually happen: this is not like the Prowler that also carry big gun, the MSR is a cargo ship (be either phisical good or data).

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Another thing to consider long term is what size Jump Points it can navigate. I think they've said the Freelancer series is the biggest thing that'll fit through Small jumps. That's a massive bonus if you look at the current map. Some places you can reach a whole new sector of the Verse in under 3-5 Small jumps. A Medium route would take an extra few jumps. And forget Large, some routes would be hours of travel.

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
From my understanding, the MSR was always going to be limited to Medium size jump points and up... for a Data Runner, the smaller jump points will be the territory of the lovely Herald (and the Terrapin, depending on what its exact role is).

Nice map btw, this is the one I've been looking at for ages for the same reason. Less detail but a little more legible.
Star Citizen GALACTIC TRANSIT NETWORK.jpg

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The in atmo flight vid shows it handles very nicely, and it's top burn is 10% higher than the Lancer, Cutty and Vanguard. I may have a new favorite ride. It's interesting each reviewer I've seen thus far says it's their new favorite ship. I am dearly hoping it has a ~200 EM with all but an Eclipse and a Nightfall off.

Forgot your password?