My web app

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
Hello testies,

Having some spare time I want to make a new app to learn new things (programming wise). First I need some answers for my research.

1. How Finale is the data from here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap/
2. There are 3 kinds of Jump tunnels (based on ship size), from what I've read there will be some new ones discovered by the players, but there will not be permanent right?
3. I couldn't find a correlation between all the ships and their size (respectivelly what ships can go trough what tunnel size)
4. What is the most comprehensive list of settlements (I mean cities, space stations, basic any named place that a player would want to go to).
5. Is known what ships will have QDrive? I need to calculate the time will take between 2 jump-points of a system.
6. Where can I find official statements on fuel? I guess is all here but just asking http://www.scqa.info/?keywords=fuel

What I want to do different from the official Starmap (probably the Mobiglass starmap will be better, but is more a learning project for me so is ok).
* find direct settlements (you can search for a location like a Bar, it will auto select the planet)
* add route settings (minimum threat level a system could have)
* black list systems (avoid at max cost)
* preferred systems (try to get trough here, even if ads a little more fuel/time)
* waypoints via (longer voyages)
* add your ships (avg fuel consumption, avg operation costs, max length voyage with 1 full tank)
* avg landing fees/NPC cost per trip
* final result will be: aprox time, aprox fuel consumtion, aprox trip cost

I can do the programming part, I search for voluteers on GFX and data input/tester.

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I had considered such a project myself. CIG doesn't share their map API atm, which is bit disappointing, but I suppose you can make due with some manual labor instead. If you want, we could work together on this.

3. Connie and freelancer are examples of Medium ships
5. Almost every ship. Merlin, Dragonfly and Argo won't. Some other smaller craft might not. Most ships will.
6. At the moment, it's 1 QF for 1 km it seems. It's likely to change.

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
Thanks! There is no labour work in programming, I'll figure it something semi-automatic. Other app developer said it took the data from the starmap source, so somewhere somehow I'll find the raw data of the planets and jump points exact positions.

The research is on hold now, I found a new smaller pet project (making a discord bot) until I figure more things out.

The project is fairly easy to do, most of the dev time will go into the UI/GFX/user interaction...that gives me an idea. I could make it command line based/API and if it works make a proper UI/Client.

Edit: I found their API, they have shit load of data on the planets.

Last edited:

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
I mixed pleasure and work and I got this

The bot is working, but I need some TEST to test it, and compare it to the RSI starmap and that the logic works, what I got working so far
* you can give commands trough the discord bot ( I need an admin to invite it to TEST discord, or I'll invite you on my own)
* it can calculate routes between any 2 places in the galaxy
* the flags and what they do ..they are in the image. By default the route is calculated taking into account UEE affiliations (that is at war with the Vanduul and tring to avoid their zones, danger/threat levels provided by the RSI API), but these can be disabled (for well armed testies).
* supports all 3 kinds of ships (S/M/L corelated with the JumpPoints sizes).

So who wants to help?
* 1 admin to invite this baby
* at least 1 tester to make it crash (because is hosted on my localhost we'll have to coordinate the tests, so I'll fix&restart the bot) sometime between 9AM-9PM GMT

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
Hello testies,

Having some spare time I want to make a new app to learn new things (programming wise). First I need some answers for my research.

1. How Finale is the data from here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap/
A: Somewhat final, they may add a few systems, the size of some tunnels may change over time, some will collapse, new will be discovered
2. There are 3 kinds of Jump tunnels (based on ship size), from what I've read there will be some new ones discovered by the players, but there will not be permanent right?
A: The Tunnels discoverd by players may be as permanent as the "official" Tunnels, but all will slightly swift over time so all need to be remapped from time to time.
3. I couldn't find a correlation between all the ships and their size (respectivelly what ships can go trough what tunnel size)
A: The latest statement says, that the Freelancer is the biggest ship fitting in a small Jumppoint
4. What is the most comprehensive list of settlements (I mean cities, space stations, basic any named place that a player would want to go to).
A:smile:on't know
5. Is known what ships will have QDrive? I need to calculate the time will take between 2 jump-points of a system.
A: All ships expect Snub-fighters can be assumed to have Q-Drive
6. Where can I find official statements on fuel? I guess is all here but just asking http://www.scqa.info/?keywords=fuel
A: Propaly no where, as Fuel is not Final really final right now. It's more of a placeholder waitign for a balance pass

What I want to do different from the official Starmap (probably the Mobiglass starmap will be better, but is more a learning project for me so is ok).
* find direct settlements (you can search for a location like a Bar, it will auto select the planet)
* add route settings (minimum threat level a system could have)
* black list systems (avoid at max cost)
* preferred systems (try to get trough here, even if ads a little more fuel/time)
* waypoints via (longer voyages)
* add your ships (avg fuel consumption, avg operation costs, max length voyage with 1 full tank)
* avg landing fees/NPC cost per trip
* final result will be: aprox time, aprox fuel consumtion, aprox trip cost

I can do the programming part, I search for voluteers on GFX and data input/tester.
In Addition to my In Quote-answers: would be cool if you could print the route on an easy to read Tube like Plan, like this one

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I mixed pleasure and work and I got this

The bot is working, but I need some TEST to test it, and compare it to the RSI starmap and that the logic works, what I got working so far
* you can give commands trough the discord bot ( I need an admin to invite it to TEST discord, or I'll invite you on my own)
* it can calculate routes between any 2 places in the galaxy
* the flags and what they do ..they are in the image. By default the route is calculated taking into account UEE affiliations (that is at war with the Vanduul and tring to avoid their zones, danger/threat levels provided by the RSI API), but these can be disabled (for well armed testies).
* supports all 3 kinds of ships (S/M/L corelated with the JumpPoints sizes).

So who wants to help?
* 1 admin to invite this baby
* at least 1 tester to make it crash (because is hosted on my localhost we'll have to coordinate the tests, so I'll fix&restart the bot) sometime between 9AM-9PM GMT
This is bloody brilliant. Once I have some spare time I'll happily help out. Just need to find said elusive time now. (Renovating, child rearing, moving, Christmas, etc etc etc).

Reactions: AstroSam

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
In Addition to my In Quote-answers: would be cool if you could print the route on an easy to read Tube like Plan, like this one
Thanks for the answer, is pretty much what I found too,
Having an Interface will be cool but will involve a lot of hours from my side, and I prefer to add more features than to make a proper UI for now. I could never compete with the official /starmap on my own. My plan is to make the server working then more clients. The first client is the discord chat/bot because I can iterate fast. Though is rather cool because we will keep the discord open for communication, get your route, paste it in the game and link them there (suppose it will have chat links for objects/planets).

The next big logical step will be in 3.0 when we can gather information from testies and use this tool mostly for mining/transport (I hope)

If all goes well, when we will have more information about traveling, fuel systems, customs, hopefully I'll find someone to help me on the front end will make something great. If not I could make the clients in Unity3d (for web and mobile), but on the webGL has some tech issues).

PS: I want to make more tools in the future, if you have ideas, want to make something but don't know how send me a message.
PS2: poke me here or on Discord to chat about transport routes (how will you select your route, are more important populated planets than space hubs? is better to avoid populated zones? How to balance risk/profit by travelling or avoiding non-UEE systems? etc). There are more then 50 variables already and the project will only get bigger, so I need all the feedback I can get to balance them.

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
PS2: poke me here or on Discord to chat about transport routes (how will you select your route, are more important populated planets than space hubs? is better to avoid populated zones? How to balance risk/profit by travelling or avoiding non-UEE systems? etc). There are more then 50 variables already and the project will only get bigger, so I need all the feedback I can get to balance them.
What would totaly influence how i'll select my route is how secure the System's are that I'm traveling through, an dif that Information is available how long is the distance I have to travel in that System, to get to my next Jumppoint.

If I would have to choose between traveling from one end to the other in a somewhat unsecure system or
just doing a quick hop in a 0-sec System,
I may choose the 0-Sec hop over the first one, because the higher Risk is minimized by a greatly reduced time of exposure.

Also With a speedy & stealthy ship, I may also choose a route less secure than with a huge & slow ship.

Aslo once we know more about fuelmechanics and the position of refuel stations, I would like to plan my Route, in a way, that I'll be able to skip one refuelstaion (in case it's out of order / under siege) and choose one nearby instead.

And how about a more complex routing like having 4 different places I'd like to visit, in no specific order, but as fast as possible (small version of the traveling salesman problem)

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
What would totaly influence how i'll select my route is how secure the System's are that I'm traveling through, an dif that Information is available how long is the distance I have to travel in that System, to get to my next Jumppoint.

If I would have to choose between traveling from one end to the other in a somewhat unsecure system or
just doing a quick hop in a 0-sec System,
I may choose the 0-Sec hop over the first one, because the higher Risk is minimized by a greatly reduced time of exposure.

Also With a speedy & stealthy ship, I may also choose a route less secure than with a huge & slow ship.

Aslo once we know more about fuelmechanics and the position of refuel stations, I would like to plan my Route, in a way, that I'll be able to skip one refuelstaion (in case it's out of order / under siege) and choose one nearby instead.

And how about a more complex routing like having 4 different places I'd like to visit, in no specific order, but as fast as possible (small version of the traveling salesman problem)
Thanks, is exactly what I needed.
From what I know there is no 0-sec hop (If I understand corectly, 2 jumppoints next to each other), there are some travel times, if you know any please share.

Yes so I'll make a summary what is the current scope of this tool until 3.0 is out
* have all official POI, celestial objects and systems in a searchable database
* find the fastest route between any 2 points
* ON/OFF - prefered systems based on their affiliation (ex: try to avoid vanduul, neutral on XIAN etc)
* ON/OFF - try to avoid systems based on the danger/crime rate (data from official starmap only)

WIP/WIll be done in the next few days
* mandatory waypoints/vias (between origin and destination, what is the best path to visit N celestial objects too)
* calculate and take into consideration distance between 2 points from the same system
* try to aproximate in the final route the (real) time the route will take (on an average ship, normal QD engine and normal gameplay)

I will wrap it up after this, I want to start working at a Cargo Calculator. The Route planner cannot be used before 4.0 -5.0 anyway because we will need at least 20 systems to have a purpose. But we will have at least 1 year to test it on Discord :))

Cyril

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Cyril
The one thing that might really be a pain is if they get orbit working properly so all of the in system distances need to be calculated on the fly based on remaining synchronized with game time. Even more fun depending on the time compression you need to calculate the orbital location of each system differently to account for travel time.

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
The one thing that might really be a pain is if they get orbit working properly so all of the in system distances need to be calculated on the fly based on remaining synchronized with game time. Even more fun depending on the time compression you need to calculate the orbital location of each system differently to account for travel time.
If they implement that (most likely because each planet already has an Orbital speed), I hope for 2 things
1. they make a proper public API that we can use more often
2. The speed will be small (in real life time) and at each couple of human days I re-download their data and update my database with the new positions.

Anyway the TIME and FUEL results will be very ..vague and relevant only as statistics/average, because in real life there will be tons of variables
  • user control speed (how fast and good pilot is he)
  • time to wait for a landing pad to be available
  • thrusters usage that combined with the ship MASS and how many maneuvers you make will drain more fuel to input a new flying direction
  • items 2.0 - there will be so many tweaks, addons and items that I cannot possible calculate how it impacts the fuel and speed
  • the starmap app from ingame mobiGlass will always make this calculations better
  • pirate attacks, customs waiting lines, friends hailing, AFK time while the engines are running
  • you cannot Quantum travel between any 2 points from a system (my tool will presume that, but in reality you can't always), any obstacle must be manual avoided then return to the course.
  • the tool always presumes you are traveling in Quantum Drive + a margin of error: (to avoid calculating SCM travel that involves: engine speed,max velocity, acceleration, which are affected by other factors as well)
  • etc etc etc
Most likely each player will input their average fuel consumption for a specific distance and his time, and use that as a starting point for his current ship routes with a 10% error margin.

PS: I found a nice framework I can use to render the map, researched for web hosting and already own a couple of SC related domain names, I hope soonTM (1-2 months) I can provide a proper website/interface for the first 2 tools (this and a Cargo calculator when 3.0 )

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
I'm looking for a graphic designer, that would help me with some GFX

WANTED
  • graphic designer (of any level) with some spare time
  • willing to provide his work for *free* (only way I can pay is providing a link)

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I'm looking for a graphic designer, that would help me with some GFX

WANTED
  • graphic designer (of any level) with some spare time
  • willing to provide his work for *free* (only way I can pay is providing a link)
  • need a logo/icon/help improving the website color palette, this sort of things
  • the website has a theme similar with CIG website/forums (abstract, simple, dark, blue backgrounds) - tablet first
  • the website is a collection of free online tools for Star Citizen (similar to ingame mobiglas apps)
Dead or Alive?

Reactions: Blind Owl

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
Doesn't matter as long as he/she delivers :))

The tool is working and currently is in closed alpha stage. Need few more weeks to wrap the graphics, build, optimizations and server stuff. Meanwhile I'm searching for more volunteers

WANTED
reddit moderator with any experience
  • need some advice's preparing a subreddit for feedback/support
Testers
  • being in TEST ..I hope to find some testers :)
  • passionate about SC (best would be a future explorer/trucker/smuggler/trader) that wants to travel a lot
  • owning a Tablet is a great plus, if not a browser would be enough
graphic designer (of any level) with some spare time
  • need a logo/icon/help improving the website color palette, this sort of things
  • the website has a theme similar with CIG website/forums (abstract, simple, dark, blue backgrounds) - tablet first
  • the website is a collection of free online tools for Star Citizen (similar to ingame mobiglas apps)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Doesn't matter as long as he/she delivers :slight_smile:)

The tool is working and currently is in closed alpha stage. Need few more weeks to wrap the graphics, build, optimizations and server stuff. Meanwhile I'm searching for more volunteers

WANTED
Testers
  • being in TEST ..I hope to find some testers :slight_smile:
  • passionate about SC (best would be a future explorer/trucker/smuggler/trader) that wants to travel a lot
  • owning a Tablet is a great plus, if not a browser would be enough
I know this doesn't help now, but I will be getting back into graphic design/digital art soon. I spent 20 grand on an education in 3d animation and visual effects at Vancouver Film School back in 1999 (I know, I know, even South Park seemed advanced back then (no it didn't)). Anyways, I never utilized said education, much to my chagrin.

I intend to delve back into that skill-set...
Soon.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
WANTED
Does no experience count?

I think I have some crayons that @Printimus hasn't eaten yet. I'd be willing to donate them to the cause.

I'd be willing to give this a try, see if I can break it for you.

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
deleted

Last edited:
Forgot your password?