My 3D printed miniature ships arrived! (Aurora,300i,Hornet) (you can get yours now)

Which 3 ships should be made next? (select up to 3)

• Gladius

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Freelancer

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Mustang

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Cutlass

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • M50

• Carrack

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Avanger

• Khartu-al

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Beerfarer

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Constellation

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
To Mods: I'm posting this here on the off-topic section as it's not strictly TEST related. If you think it shouldn't be posted here, please move/remove it!

A few weeks ago I finally snapped, and decided I just had to have Star Citizen ships in my hands in a real physical form.
So I ended up modeling an Aurora, a 300i and a Hornet from scratch for 3d printing in a small enough scale to fit on a keychain but still have some detail. I really wanted these to be printed in the stainless steel offered on Shapeways, so I can carry them around daily, like a 5 year old carries around his favourite toy :)

Disclosure: these were Not made from rebuilt game assets, these were modeled from the ground up for 3d printing by me, no game assets were used. I don't even know how to extract em really, so please don't sue me? :D

While modeling these I found a new, deep respect for the ship models and their designs as a 3d artist. With just a cursory look they might seem simple, but when one tries to replicate the shapes it turns out it's very very complicated. Taking them apart you end up with really twisted shapes, that combine into a really clean and beautiful design.

The prints turned out pretty much okay, only the lower right wing on the aurora got chipped off from the bottom. One thing that looks a bit strange to me is how "flat" the Hornet turned out to be, maybe I'll take a look at it and remodel the wings to give it more "thickness". The 3d model looked way more "vertical" then the actual print.

I had all 3 models printed in Stainless Steel and White Strong and Flexible (nylon) materials, so I have metal models to live with, and plastic models to scribe details into, paint, and just generally ruin.

UPDATE: I've been given permission by Seung Ryul to post the direct links here. You can BUY these models for yourself on the links below through my shop. I would like to clarify that I make no money on the sales. You will have to register on the site to buy em.

Promo Code! Just wanted to let you know, if you are considering buying one of the current models, you can get 10USD off your first purchase if you Register, Follow me on the site, and then use the Promo Code: gyonv at checkout. That's basicly the shipping cost gone! This is only valid untill Friday April 15!

Aurora: http://shpws.me/M0UM
300i: http://shpws.me/M0UL
Hornet: http://shpws.me/M0UK

UPDATE n.2.: I would like to make more types of ships in the sclae like these in the future. I've seen some requests below. I'll definitely make a Gladius, Cutlass, Freelancer, Mustang, M50, and other more "basic" ships. Larger mulitcrew ships like the Carrack will be a harder job and more down the line, unless everybody really really wants that one. I'll put up a poll to determine the order I should make them.

UPDATE n.3.: unauthorized shameful plug section: making these models does cost real world UEC. if you think it's worthy of your support, please feel free to Donate Here! Ships, weapons, packs of beer, used towels, rolls of 100usd bills, anything is welcome, whatever you think it's worth :) Almost all will be used to make more models or spent on the game in the pledge store! The rest will be spent on beer, as per TEST regulations.

UPDATE n.4.: You can grab my exported 3d models here in DAE format.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B18CLJueNwp5ZC00Wm40bkZuekU

Enough of boring text, here are the pictures:

Aurora
WP_20160331_16_38_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20160331_16_38_50_Pro.jpg WP_20160331_16_39_14_Pro.jpg WP_20160331_16_39_23_Pro.jpg WP_20160331_16_39_30_Pro.jpg WP_20160331_16_39_40_Pro.jpg WP_20160331_16_39_54_Pro.jpg WP_20160331_16_40_05_Pro.jpg WP_20160331_16_40_47_Pro.jpg WP_20160331_17_24_26_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Those are pretty awesome! Do you have a link to the Shapeways models you used?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thanks! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links like that as it may count as advertising.? But I think you have every bit of info you need to find them :)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thanks! I'm thinking about sending them on to CiG as gifts but I love em so much I don't want to part with them. It takes 2-3 weeks to get another batch made, and I don't want to be without my Hornet Key Defender System.

I'll try to coerce a mod to approve the links getting posted up, so you can get your own, if you want one, without spending hours searching through tons of crap. No money is being made on them so it should be fine I guess.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Fortunately, you're under that same name on both sites, so that makes it pretty easy.

Edit: And if you managed to come up with Freelancer or Carrack models, I'll get those too.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thanks guys!

Updated the original post with links to Buy!

I'll be putting up a poll to see what you would like made next. I'm thinking I will be making a batch of the top 3 new ships voted for. It's just more economical to for me that way.

I've sent a few messages around to CIG staff to see if they are down with me making these models. I'd rather get an official word on this instead of getting busted by their legal dept. later :D

Reactions: WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Thanks guys!

Updated the original post with links to Buy!

I'll be putting up a poll to see what you would like made next. I'm thinking I will be making a batch of the top 3 new ships voted for. It's just more economical to for me that way.

I've sent a few messages around to CIG staff to see if they are down with me making these models. I'd rather get an official word on this instead of getting busted by their legal dept. later :D
A poll! You really do know the way to our hearts.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Why does the metal one lhave so many ridges? Are they all like that but i xantty see them because they are white?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Why does the metal one lhave so many ridges? Are they all like that but i xantty see them because they are white?
Most 3d prints are like that. The models above were made by laser sintering powders layer by layer, thus the ridging. The white ones are made from nylon plastic powder, those seem to have no ridges but also way less definition, I'm guessing they used some new post processing to make them smoother after printing.

The metal ones are unpolished, they have the original layering very much visible. Actually I think the 300i was lightly mediablasted as I had to clean small chunks of something out from the holes in the wings, and also it's way more shiny than the others.

One can try to smooth out the ridges with a small rotating tool like a dremel or just using sandpaper. Although, it is made of steel so it will take a lot of time doing it by hand. I really like this rough look, so I won't grind 'em smooth on mine.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Could you please also put Hull B on the list ?
I'll put the Hull series on the board once the first round of voting is over. I really like that ship as well but there is just too little reference material for it. Maybe it willl come with alpha 2.4 or a bit later, with the trading coming online supposedly... (just guessing here)

Very nice. I love the 315P (I have a 315P so that is what it is to me).
Thanks! I found it more doable to make a "general 300" , "avarage Hornet" and so on, rather than make specific ships. So for you it can be the 315p, to one of my firends a 325a, and to me a 300i. I guess there will have to be an R made separately cos of dual engine goodness :D

Thanks all! I see the Freelancer is really high up in the voting so that will be the next one probably. I guess I'll wait a few more days to see how it plays out between the Cutlass vs Carrack vs the Conny.

Reactions: WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I already picked up the Aurora keychain in steel, I threw my votes in for a Freelancer and Carrack, and tacked on Cutlass because I know other people (*cough* @AntiSqueaker *cough*)have ship-boners for it.

Forgot your password?