My (animated) Star Citizen Wallpaper...

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
I came across Wallpaper Engine on Steam yesterday, a little £2.80 app ($4 or thereabouts I would guess) that allows you to set a video file as your wallpaper. So of course I had to buy it and start my search for the coolest SC video that I could find.

This is the best so far, but I am thinking the Sandworm demo may well replace it tonight. The search continues though, so feel free to link suggestions (Ooh, just remember the fan-fiction pirates video series which Myre was involved in. I will have to check that out again).

For a bit of fun, here is a particularly good Zombie 'wallpaper' that I also tried out.

Edit note: Added some random music track to overwrite the annoying static sound that somehow snuck onto this video. Mute the video, and enjoy the zombies (for the 20 seconds it lasts :))

This looks to be well thought out, with the default option to stop playing when programs are full screen (so won't impact performance for your gaming), but even so I probably won't run it all the time. For £2.80 though it certainly is fun to play around with (oh, and the slight mismatch across the monitors is down to my running two at different size/resolution rather than any shortcoming in the app).

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
What did you search for to find that SC wallpaper? I found some of planets and such, but not much luck otherwise.

Reactions: AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I came across Wallpaper Engine on Steam yesterday, a little £2.80 app ($4 or thereabouts I would guess) that allows you to set a video file as your wallpaper. So of course I had to buy it and start my search for the coolest SC video that I could find.

This is the best so far, but I am thinking the Sandworm demo may well replace it tonight. The search continues though, so feel free to link suggestions (Ooh, just remember the fan-fiction pirates video series which Myre was involved in. I will have to check that out again).

For a bit of fun, here is a particularly good Zombie 'wallpaper' that I also tried out.

This looks to be well thought out, with the default option to stop playing when programs are full screen (so won't impact performance for your gaming), but even so I probably won't run it all the time. For £2.80 though it certainly is fun to play around with (oh, and the slight mismatch across the monitors is down to my running two at different size/resolution rather than any shortcoming in the app).
Wow, good catch, will try that! Thanks for posting, mate!
Cheers,
Astro

Reactions: Mich Angel

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Search Star Citizen on the Steam page. I found a bunch of them that way.
Same here. I went to Steam, Then the menus Community -> Workshop. Put Wallpaper Engine in there, and then the search box says 'Search Wallpaper Engine', and you can put Star Citizen in to search specifically for wallpapers.

Having said that you can use movie files from a lot of sources. Grab them from Youtube using a youtube downloader, etc. They may need some post-processing with a tool like Handbrake to optimise them though. I must say that using the Zombie wallpapers shown above (a different wallpaper on each screen) I am still only using 20% CPU, which quite impressed me.

I did come across an excellent guide on the Steam Wallpaper Engine Community pages on how to achieve the best results. Take a look at the Guides tab on the Wallpaper Engine Community page. There is plenty of excellent information there.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I played around a little bit with the Workshop feature, which is quite easy to use. As any other else, I suggest, I uploaded the "Big Guns"-Trailer for testing purposes. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=874986940

What I couldn't manage or do not understand: the screenshot feature seems not to work, because the preview windows stays black... =/

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
I played around a little bit with the Workshop feature, which is quite easy to use. As any other else, I suggest, I uploaded the "Big Guns"-Trailer for testing purposes. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=874986940

What I couldn't manage or do not understand: the screenshot feature seems not to work, because the preview windows stays black... =/
You uploaded that? I got it set as one of my main screen backgrounds. (it alternates between that and the SC "Imagine" trailer) Thank Sam!

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Oh, my pleasure - wouldn't thought that anyone would use that :D
Yeah, I'm currently playing around, thinking about how to upload my own vid there (this one: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/citizen-spotlight/7342-Star-Citizen-Space-Ambiente-By-AstroSam-TEST-Squadron).

But I have to erase the describing text first, because otherwise you can't use it on 21:9 displays. Nevertheless, the 16:9-version does quite well, I think. You can grab it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=875005181

Reactions: The Razgriz

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
I'll make sure to download that as soon as I get back home. Though, I may never actually use my PC again. I'll just end up watching your video loop endlessly every time I turn it on.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Oh, my pleasure - wouldn't thought that anyone would use that :smile:
Yeah, I'm currently playing around, thinking about how to upload my own vid there (this one: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/citizen-spotlight/7342-Star-Citizen-Space-Ambiente-By-AstroSam-TEST-Squadron).

But I have to erase the describing text first, because otherwise you can't use it on 21:9 displays. Nevertheless, the 16:9-version does quite well, I think. You can grab it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=875005181
Editing and rendering done. 21:9 compatible version (without text): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=876696619

Reactions: Floating Cloud

Ethreck

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Ethreck
How does SC, or any other game for that matter, fair when this is running? Can it be paused / stopped easily when you want to play a game?

Looks cool though. I am thinking about grabbing it as well.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
How does SC, or any other game for that matter, fair when this is running? Can it be paused / stopped easily when you want to play a game?

Looks cool though. I am thinking about grabbing it as well.
No prob, mate - just right-click on the button and then click on "Pause"; see screenshot:

Forgot your password?