My daughter makes monsters..

Starscribe

Grand Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Just a little proud dad thread..

My daughter recently graduated with a 1st class degree - she wants to work in the film industry doing special effects.

This is one of her efforts. Can't tell from the photo but this fella is 6ft long. Love the attention to detail. Feathers are stitched into that tail, and round the back there's hair on parts of the anatomy where you might expect it. Impressive, isn't he?

If they are looking for wildlife in Star Citizen, they could do worse!

monster2.jpg

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Just a little proud dad thread..

My daughter recently graduated with a 1st class degree - she wants to work in the film industry doing special effects.

This is one of her efforts. Can't tell from the photo but this fella is 6ft long. Love the attention to detail. Feathers are stitched into that tail, and round the back there's hair on parts of the anatomy where you might expect it. Impressive, isn't he?

If they are looking for wildlife in Star Citizen, they could do worse!

View attachment 14642
Very cool, Much scary!
Love it, awesome work! Congrats to her and Welcome to Test!

Starscribe

Grand Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Holy cow! That's amazing man!! Has she considered sending a portfolio of her work to CIG? They are creating cinematics for S42 which include alien races etc.
Not a bad idea! Some magazine wanted to borrow it for a photo shoot the other day - they'd seen it on her website - but when they found out it was 6ft long they realised they couldn't transport it safely.

Starscribe

Grand Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
It has been a while since I last checked the job postings on their site, but when I did they had openings for artists, no harm in checking whether they still have slots and if they interest her enough to apply.
It's a kind thought, but her skills are in making physical models rather than digital; not sure if that would interest them. She's had approaches from Madam Tussaud's and Jim Henson's Creature Company, so fingers crossed..

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Freaking good model!
Very belivable in his form and, as far as the photo show, preatty detailed too.
I'll really take into consideration to develope some skill in the 3D art too for her: not only it will, in the long run, be cheaper, but it could allow a wider variety of job, like computer game models, movie one and olso miniature artist.
With the exception of few animatronics now most of the bigger monster we see in the movie are digitally created so that will be the future (with some exception...).

Consider that with modern developing tool 3D sculpting is very similiar to a real sculpting, and with the right device worker can feel the resistance of the material too, and the hardware is not so expensive.

Cheer up for her future!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's a kind thought, but her skills are in making physical models rather than digital; not sure if that would interest them. She's had approaches from Madam Tussaud's and Jim Henson's Creature Company, so fingers crossed..
It's what 3D scanners were made for.

I'm always jealous of people with talent 🙂

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I want to see these in abandoned stations!
I want to see these in the mines! holy shit this this thing is freaken scary looking. Definitely have her submit that thing to CIG. I can only imagine walking through a mine looking for some artifacts and i hear some growling and this thing jumps out at me biggest jump scare ever.

Starscribe

Grand Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Wow, nice work. As for being a proud dad, your pride is justified. As a dad myself, I really want to see my kids succeed. My daughter is basically a face-palm. My son is trying to figure out what he wants to do in his life. I salute your daughter's sense of direction and drive.
Thanks.

Sometimes it takes time to pick the right direction. Your kids may surprise you yet - though working out whether they need a hug or a boot up the bum isn't ever an easy task!

Last edited:
Forgot your password?