my formal introduction, ive posted before and am coming back to discord but here is my story

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
hello, my name is lordgarrett99, or EL X as i have my discord as.

i started start citizen towards the end of last year, i started with an aurora and eventually got a avenger titan and now a cutlass black as well as an arrow. the arrow is my favorite to fly around planets at high speed, but nothing speaks moderation more than the cutty!

once i jumped into the game it was amazing and i am still very excited for its future! it WOWED me on every level :D

the lore, the ships, the mechanics, the community, it was a balance of everything for me.

however i took a break as i have a quick tendancy to move on/burn out, but now im back to try and have more fun with the game and this totally chad group im in

IRL i come from alaska, USA. i just turned 18 and am soon going to pursue my assosiates in computer science.

i also try streaming every once in a while. hope to see my stream on our page one day :)

if i had one job for test that i really wanted to do, i want to be a commander who flys along his comrades and blows shit up as well as help keep momentum and focus to the max. i was a fleet commander (FC) in eve online, and i want to try to be the same here!

S/O to cosmic, for always being entertaining to talk to, meercatone for his realistic roleplay, and all the others ive enjoyed talking to and learning from.

i hope to keep making my mark on this wonderful group and help be the best org PERIOD in the universe :o7: 😁

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
We have a Fleet Commander test for you here @Lordgarrett99 :

If TEST was to be asked to deploy a small fleet of 30 bengals and 5000 other mixed ships to destroy the Vanuul on the UEE's behalf, how many ships would you crash?
1. None of them.
2. Some of them.
3. The whole fleet.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Welcome to the party ! 🍻

if i had one job for test that i really wanted to do, i want to be a commander who flys along his comrades and blows shit up as well as help keep momentum and focus to the max. i was a fleet commander (FC) in eve online, and i want to try to be the same here!
I was an FC in Eve for like 15 years in various alliances with my corp (ASCN, Dusk&Dawn, RISE, Band of Brothers & IT, Mercenary Coalition, Pandemic...) leading battles of average 200-400 people up to a thousand people in comms, and i can tell you that it has nothing to do with Star Citizen.

You dont have the same combat awarness in SC that you can have in Eve, and effectively designating targets in SC will in my opinion be much more difficult than in Eve, when we will have dozens or hundreds of people fighting together. Because we dont have the tools yet to have a clear view of the battlefield (no ennemy ship filter to help targeting and so on). You dont have an idea of who is in the vincinity, or what ship they fly unless you scan them one by one, not like Eve where you can scan thousands of km away. There is no cloaked scout ship, well you have stealth but thats not the same as being invisible in the middle of the ennemy and preparing a list of priority targets to hit before attacking.

So far, i have experienced little "populated" fights in SC (because alpha, and server limitation), probably maximum 20 people fighting. And even with so few people, it was a real mess for our commanders to tell what to do since they do not have a clear view of what's going on as they are also dogfighting. And since it was training fights between us, they knew who was on the opposite side, their skills and what they generally fly as ship, so they were designating targets they already knew of (skill, ship...) according to their threat (skill) level. Fighting another org will be much different than those training fights as you dont know the ennemy skill or ship first hand... Yes there is target designation here too but it is hard to follow them when you are yourself in the middle of a fight or got separated from the FC, nothing to do with the target designation and fire focusing of Eve. In the end it is just about the pilot skill and own spatial awareness in combat.

In Eve he who controls the range dictates the battle, here it is very different as the fights occur in close combat almost all the time, its not "ship of the line" fighting each others but many duels happening together, like a flying circus from the last world war. And if the FC calls a target that is not in range for you (a few kilometer is enough to loose a target), you wont see it until you are in range or scan it again. It will probably change with the introduction of capital ships and bigger scanners/radar, and i guess our FC will need to be in those ships to be able to have a clear view of whats going on (because durability, thus ability to think the battlefield not being busy fighting), or we will need more specialized scout ships or UI improvements...

Anyway, really those 2 games are totally different. I dont see much from an FC experience in Eve that could be used here on a large scale for target calling, apart from organizing the comms, which is already is big plus 😉

edit : sorry for the big boring serious lecture lol its just thoughts i had for some time and i just spammed your intro post ;) of couse we have the best FC when fueled with enough beer !! 🍺

Last edited:

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
Thank you all for the amazing replies and welcomes :DDDD

Welcome to the party ! 🍻

I was an FC in Eve for like 15 years in various alliances with my corp (ASCN, Dusk&Dawn, RISE, Band of Brothers & IT, Mercenary Coalition, Pandemic...) leading battles of average 200-400 people up to a thousand people in comms, and i can tell you that it has nothing to do with Star Citizen.

You dont have the same combat awarness in SC that you can have in Eve, and effectively designating targets in SC will in my opinion be much more difficult than in Eve, when we will have dozens or hundreds of people fighting together. Because we dont have the tools yet to have a clear view of the battlefield (no ennemy ship filter to help targeting and so on). You dont have an idea of who is in the vincinity, or what ship they fly unless you scan them one by one, not like Eve where you can scan thousands of km away. There is no cloaked scout ship, well you have stealth but thats not the same as being invisible in the middle of the ennemy and preparing a list of priority targets to hit before attacking.

So far, i have experienced little "populated" fights in SC (because alpha, and server limitation), probably maximum 20 people fighting. And even with so few people, it was a real mess for our commanders to tell what to do since they do not have a clear view of what's going on as they are also dogfighting. And since it was training fights between us, they knew who was on the opposite side, their skills and what they generally fly as ship, so they were designating targets they already knew of (skill, ship...) according to their threat (skill) level. Fighting another org will be much different than those training fights as you dont know the ennemy skill or ship first hand... Yes there is target designation here too but it is hard to follow them when you are yourself in the middle of a fight or got separated from the FC, nothing to do with the target designation and fire focusing of Eve. In the end it is just about the pilot skill and own spatial awareness in combat.

In Eve he who controls the range dictates the battle, here it is very different as the fights occur in close combat almost all the time, its not "ship of the line" fighting each others but many duels happening together, like a flying circus from the last world war. And if the FC calls a target that is not in range for you (a few kilometer is enough to loose a target), you wont see it until you are in range or scan it again. It will probably change with the introduction of capital ships and bigger scanners/radar, and i guess our FC will need to be in those ships to be able to have a clear view of whats going on (because durability, thus ability to think the battlefield not being busy fighting), or we will need more specialized scout ships or UI improvements...

Anyway, really those 2 games are totally different. I dont see much from an FC experience in Eve that could be used here on a large scale for target calling, apart from organizing the comms, which is already is big plus 😉

edit : sorry for the big boring serious lecture lol its just thoughts i had for some time and i just spammed your intro post ;) of couse we have the best FC when fueled with enough beer !! 🍺
this was probably the most impactful message to me as i FCed for pandemic horde, and it makes total sense that SC has a MUCH more difficult job for commanders as its not just being a F1 monkey.

i hope that i can work to the best i can to train myself and hopefully others down the line to be geniuses at the job and trusty at heart.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Welcome to the TEST party! Remember that it's not a crash landing but a TEST Landing if you can walk away. Bonus points are rewarded if in doing so, the positioning & difficulty of your landing leaves those around you speechless & confused as to how you managed to pull that off.

We have a Fleet Commander test for you here @Lordgarrett99 :

If TEST was to be asked to deploy a small fleet of 30 bengals and 5000 other mixed ships to destroy the Vanuul on the UEE's behalf, how many ships would you crash?
1. None of them.
2. Some of them.
3. The whole fleet.
He said that he's 18, so currently his answer should be that he'll help us raid the supplies of those being slaughtered by the Vanduul after he finishes with whatever he's currently drinking.

Forgot your password?