My laptop has cracked

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
So my kid finally did it and cracked my alienware 17 R2 laptop case. Does anyone know where i can find a good repair site with parts and what not so i can take it apart and rebuild it? atm the power plug does not stay in the computer very well at all and i might be arcing electricity due to the power port being pushed in a bit. I havnt been able to find parts except used old comps on ebay for like 500 usd which isnt worth it. If i am screwed then just tell me im screwed and we can talk about just starting a new desktop build which ill start next year early.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I don't know about where to get Alienware parts, but you might be able to jury-rig something to hold the power together from some slightly used kid parts. Only one question... do you look forward to grandkids? It has some bearing.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Well if your handy dandy, laptop are just as fixable as desktop in most cases, tho everything is a lot smaller so a fine tuned steady hand is needed.

Back a couple years when I used laptop almost every day, it did happen I cracked the screen, broke the power connector so it got lost inside... etc..

I always went to local or close town that had PC store and repair shop, then asked them if they had similar burned laptops that part from fried motherboard was okay.
( it's always help to get price down, if you say that it's a project for learning kids about computers hardware,
hence the reason it don't need to work you need most part okay but don't care if it have burned motherboard or something similar.)

That keep the price down a lot for spare parts, then used the parts from those to fix my mess, I even got a bunch once for free so they didn't have to recycle them.

CHEERS! 🍻

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'll take a look at tiger direct im not to sure they are going to have that part to its like saying the side of your phone is cracked open and you need a replacement body part. you normally only find stuff like that from donor stores or specialty shops. im sure youtube has a breakdown video with all the screws etc its just a mater of getting the parts and hoping i dont have to unsoder resoder a new power port onto the machine.(its really really damaged) i'll try to get some pics later i might just scrap it and get something else i just feel like its a big waste as the computer has years of usability for someone like my wife.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I had a few laptops with power port issues, sadly all of em were soldered on, and I'm not that handy with an iron to fix em. Ymmv, never had an Alienware.
The power port might be generic, used on many other machines with similar boards. You might not find it for Alienware, but you might find the same thing for a Dell for example.
Goodluck getting it fixed!

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
You could try this place, Parts People but full disclosure, I haven't used them so I can't tell you what to expect.
This iFixit guide might also be helpful.
And lastly, when searching for replacements parts on eBay, make sure to include 'replacement parts' or 'broken' or something to that effect in your search and you should come up with something like this. I got that one through Googling 'Alienware 17 R2 parts list' but your mileage may vary.

Forgot your password?