My new Monstertech Simrig is coming together!

CMDR_Deepsix

Space Marshal
Sep 8, 2017
RSI Handle
CMDR_Deepsix
I received my Monstertech Simrig just before Christmas and have been working to get it all setup. 3D Printer has been churning out custom wire clips and is now working on the speaker mounts I designed up. I still need to figure out a good mounting system for my keyboard that allows me to index it towards me while seated and then away to better enter/exit the rig. After that I want to install a floor that works into the rudder pedal base.

Hopefully by then Virpil will have shipped my new rudder pedals and flight stick/base. Need to wait until February/March when I'll hopefully be able to order the Virpil throttle and Alpha stick.

Monstertech Rig.jpg

CMDR_Deepsix

Space Marshal
Sep 8, 2017
RSI Handle
CMDR_Deepsix
Looks great so far.. highly recommend the Virpil gear.

What sold you on the Monstertech over other options?
A number of factors sold me on this being the route to go.

1. Using these types of aluminum extrusions meant I would have full ability to adjust every dimension of how the rig fit to make sure it was perfect for me vs. something designed to be a good general fit.
2. The Noobifier's review for one sold me on the stout overall construction in terms of how solid everything is once connected (which I can confirm is outstanding)
3. I liked the idea that it used standard aluminum extrusion profiles which means I could add to it as I saw fit. As mentioned above, as these extrusions have standardized channels in every piece it means I can 3D print custom components and leverage the ability of mounting them in the channels without needing to drill or cut into the pieces thus allowing me to adjust where things are without causing permanent changes. Along with this it will allow me to further add to the rig by buying standard extrusion lengths on my own that will connect to the base rig and allow me to expand. I'm already working on an idea to build an overhead and side panel sections to mount custom (or perhaps Virpils) button boxes.

Thanks,
Frank

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Do you really need the keyboard for anything other than typing out messages? You already have an Orbweaver to control FPS and you could use something like GameGlass to help with the ship control part of things. If you really just need a keyboard for basic typing of messages, etc. then try looking into a smaller form factor of board like a 40% board that might be easier to rig something up for.

CMDR_Deepsix

Space Marshal
Sep 8, 2017
RSI Handle
CMDR_Deepsix
Do you really need the keyboard for anything other than typing out messages? You already have an Orbweaver to control FPS and you could use something like GameGlass to help with the ship control part of things. If you really just need a keyboard for basic typing of messages, etc. then try looking into a smaller form factor of board like a 40% board that might be easier to rig something up for.
As you noticed correctly I added a side keypad that should cover me for FPS so I'm good for most of the games I play but I do plan to use this station for other non-gaming activities as well. Essentially this is my new personal desk so I want working access to a keyboard for general use. I did look at the options that Monstertech offered but one was a side mount and the other pivoted in which stopped me from using the twin vertical columns which was something I wanted based on some of the additions I plan to make.

I plan to move to a slightly narrower keyboard like one of the Razers that with the number pad are still narrow enough to mount to the horizontal cross bar and index out via some for of linear rail system. Should give me everything I'm looking for in this solution.

Gr33nh0use

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Gr33nh0use
Love it!

Reactions: Vavrik

CMDR_Deepsix

Space Marshal
Sep 8, 2017
RSI Handle
CMDR_Deepsix
Woohoo, I finally managed to find a 3090 in stock and it was delivered yesterday. Now I just need to wait for the water block to get in and I can kick everything back in to high gear from the graphics side of things. When I built this rig a year ago I wanted to hold out for the 30 series so I'm been using SLI'd 980's.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
What 3090 did you go for?

Reactions: Vavrik

CMDR_Deepsix

Space Marshal
Sep 8, 2017
RSI Handle
CMDR_Deepsix
What 3090 did you go for?
LOL, first one I could get my hands on!!! In all seriousness my first choice was the Asus Tuf which is luckily the one I found and bought.

I wanted this option specifically because it has all six banks of capacitors filled with the POSCAPs rather than the cheaper MLCCs used by some of the AIBs. NVIDIA uses four MLCCs and two POSCAPs in their board. Some of the vendors that were using all MLCCs were seeing instability issues not found in the board that used at least two banks of the higher end POSCAPs.

Forgot your password?