RSI Handle
Radegast74

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Will this make me sell my Radeon VII. Answers on a post card!

Reactions: Sayora

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Wow!!! that is great news... as a Linux fan I always complain about windows, but truth be told, I am writing this reply on a windows machine... not because it is better but because is the OS of choice. When I work, I want functionality, configuration, speed, and cost effectiveness... it is Linux all the way. If the benchmarks are true, I'll throw my money behind AMD and not nvidia. The jury is still out on my end, but this looks promising. I am beginning to hate nvidia like I hate windows and intel but there is simply not an alternative right now that makes sense. AMD needs to stop trying to keep up with nvidia but surpass them in performance, even if the cost is the same. If they use nvidia as the benchmark, they already failed, they need to be faster and better... throw more cores at it even if the cost matches nvidia, because people will feel they got more performance for the money.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
No CUDA cores, NFG for me...

While the announced specs are impressive, and might be well worth it for gamers, they are utterly useless for professinals.

But, I'm glad they are pushing the competition even more! Maybe one day professional software will get up to speed and support amd cards as well.
TBH, I'm not holding much hope for these, as with the last "huge" AMD card announcemnet of them crushing nvidia, they faceplanted so hard that there isn't enough rock on Earth to fill the whole with....
I had my fair share of AMD cards over the years, but just like with their CPUs (yes, ryzen included), they are cheaper for a reason.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm looking forward to some 3rd part testing, if those card keep up with the expectation this $h!t of an year could be at least a bit interesting on the PC builder side.
Kinda interesting the feature that allow GPU to use the system RAM, also a good way to push the other AMD main market...

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I had my fair share of AMD cards over the years, but just like with their CPUs (yes, ryzen included), they are cheaper for a reason.
I agree on the professional side of those card: they are aimed to a gamers market not a professional on, at least on paper, propert testing and review will tell the truth.

For the price aspect... I'll agree with that in the past, right now, if the performance are what they claim to be, I think its more a marketing aspect then a real value one: is the same marketing tactics that Apple apply for year now, make the thing cost a lot more so that it feel a "premium" item.
I don't say NVidia is on the exact same line, but do to the lack of competion in the GPU card they take advantage of it of course, same as Intel...

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I agree on the professional side of those card: they are aimed to a gamers market not a professional on, at least on paper, propert testing and review will tell the truth.

For the price aspect... I'll agree with that in the past, right now, if the performance are what they claim to be, I think its more a marketing aspect then a real value one: is the same marketing tactics that Apple apply for year now, make the thing cost a lot more so that it feel a "premium" item.
I don't say NVidia is on the exact same line, but do to the lack of competion in the GPU card they take advantage of it of course, same as Intel...
You are correct, they are gamer cards, aimed at gamers! I'd just be happy if their cheaper cards worked for professinal use as well. Sadly that is not case. Never was.

Professional limitation doesn't come from that the AMD cards are "just slower". They are in most cases, but No. It comes from that NVidia cards have CUDA cores which is their own tech, AMD cards do not. Lots of prof. software is written specifically to take advantage of CUDA architecture, and isn't compatible with AMD. Those softwares fall back on a "software mode" when run on an AMD card, if they are even capable of doing so, becoming much slower. Like running an old game on CPU-only, with no hardware-acceleration turned on.

You don't need testing for this. In todays true professional software enviroment it is NVidia or nothing :(

I agree on the marketing thing, good catch!
My experience in the studio with real world numbers still say that paying more for an NVidia+Intel pc pays off. Probably not for an avarage gamer! , but for those seeking the highest possible return on their investment in the long term, it's well worth it. So they are not really like Apple, because you do get true + value for the higher price of Intel and NV.

But, as I said above, I'd love to see basically what @ColdDog said, AMD pushing far beyond the envelope! This would make programmers take notice, and change their software to run properly on AMD cards, making it a viable competitor to NVidia for professionals as well as high-end gamers.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
They launched, but with no better stock then Nvidia's cards and just as much demand
Ah, thanks for the info - I've got no hope to grab something last gen at an okay price for my ElectroPotato then... Frees up some dough for perhaps a StarG in the Anniversary Sale instead though 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?