New missiles

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So which of you combat oriented lads or lasses has played with the new missiles?

I am looking to start a discussion concerning best ones for different ships, and to generally get feedback on the new additions vs old ones, and who thinks what is best.

Go.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yeh and the pair or Size 3 ones on my Sabre Comet pack a right punch!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I will note that there are currently 2 variation of missiles. The first is heat seeking which looks like the fire symbol. The second being Radar tracking which follows RF (radio frequency) signals. When you target another ship, you can note whether it is giving off more IR (heat), or RF (radio frequency).

Now of those 2 variations, it breaks down even more into how the warhead attempts to destroy the enemy. There is a direct hit, proximity (general area which does not require the warhead to make contact with the enemy ship), and the last which is cluster.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I will note that there are currently 2 variation of missiles. The first is heat seeking which looks like the fire symbol. The second being Radar tracking which follows RF (radio frequency) signals. When you target another ship, you can note whether it is giving off more IR (heat), or RF (radio frequency).

Now of those 2 variations, it breaks down even more into how the warhead attempts to destroy the enemy. There is a direct hit, proximity (general area which does not require the warhead to make contact with the enemy ship), and the last which is cluster.
Understood.

But have you actually tried using different missiles? Do we know which are the most effective, or is there a decent spread of usefulness?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
3 types:
  • IR: Infra-red. Thwarted by flair. Shown as flame
  • EM: Electromagnetic. Thwarted by chaff. Shown as radar beam
  • CS: Cross-Section. Based on craft's physical dimensions, multiplied by some modifier. Shown as flash

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
https://www.reddit.com/r/path%3D%252Fr%252Fstarcitizen%252Fcomments%252F2q3wdg%252F View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2q3wdg/new_missile_classes_analysis/

Detonation Mode:
  • Proximity: explodes when close, example: Marksman
  • Strike: hits target directly, example: Dominator
  • Cluster: explodes into lots of little teeny missiles which are themselves strike missiles, example: Rattler
Guidance Mode:
  • FAF: Fire and Forget
  • DF: Dumbfire
  • TL: Target Lock
Seeker Type:
  • IR: infra-red, presumably distracted by flares
  • EM: electromagnetic, presumably distracted by chaff
  • CS: cross-section, based on the craft's physical dimensions multiplied by some modifier

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
https://www.reddit.com/r/path%3D%252Fr%252Fstarcitizen%252Fcomments%252F2q3wdg%252F View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2q3wdg/new_missile_classes_analysis/

Detonation Mode:
  • Proximity: explodes when close, example: Marksman
  • Strike: hits target directly, example: Dominator
  • Cluster: explodes into lots of little teeny missiles which are themselves strike missiles, example: Rattler
Guidance Mode:
  • FAF: Fire and Forget
  • DF: Dumbfire
  • TL: Target Lock
Seeker Type:
  • IR: infra-red, presumably distracted by flares
  • EM: electromagnetic, presumably distracted by chaff
  • CS: cross-section, based on the craft's physical dimensions multiplied by some modifier
Ok. I'll use this info to check out what's available in the store and go from there. I'll probably start by loading out my Warden, and go from there.

Thanks again Marc.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
3 types:
  • IR: Infra-red. Thwarted by flair. Shown as flame
  • EM: Electromagnetic. Thwarted by chaff. Shown as radar beam
  • CS: Cross-Section. Based on craft's physical dimensions, multiplied by some modifier. Shown as flash
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression the CS missiles were the basic radar guided missiles which are thwarted by chaff and the EM missiles work on magic.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression the CS missiles were the basic radar guided missiles which are thwarted by chaff and the EM missiles work on magic.
Yeap, I saw some CS missiles incoming. Radar guided doesn't exist. That would be target lock.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
I believe at the moment the arming of missiles, rather like assigning gun groups, is borked. Otherwise, you would be able to choose which missiles were armed and therefore the first ones to fire when you launch a missile. Now, I am not sure how they fire, perhaps from top to bottom as they are listed?

Then there is this:

Also:

Last edited:
Forgot your password?