New player struggling with vandel swarm

OzarkHippy

Space Marshal
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Galileo
Hi everyone

So I'm fairly new to the game, and I'm trying to get a kill in the single player vanduul swarm. I'm still in the mustang a.

Question is should I be able to get kills with the Mustang or should I upgrade to a better ship?
Or should I just keep practicing.
Im having a hard time just keeping the other ship in my sights.

Thanks for the advice
Ozark

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Well to be fair and honest it do require a lot of practice to start making progress in both Vandul and Pirate swarm how ever Vandul is the easier in my opinion but still not a cake walk to master..

The regular mustang might be some what weak to progress in but it is possible just take a hell of a lot more practice and time tho you will come out a master pilot once you achieve beating it in a Mustang that is for shore.

So keep practice you will enjoy it later even if it seem almost impossible now

And we are many that gladly jump in and do combat practice with yo in Free Flight mode where re-spawn is endless so perfect place to practice space dogfight against human player which is a lot harder than any of the ai fighters tho they can be really tricky too..

:beers:
Edit: Rec can only be earned in multiplayer Arena commander!

And as said rec you can use to rent better guns and other ships you can use in Arena commander before spending money or upgrading your ship you can find out what ships you like to fly and what work for you.

So I too suggest do racing to earn rec even if that seem hopeless and you only lose and crash all the time..

So don't rage quit just be cause you crash and it all goes wrong and you are last in race it don't matter you always get rec if you stay until race ends you don't even have to finish only one player in race have to finish an all the other get rec too.

And race mostly only last couple min then you can do a new one compared to Vandul you can fight easy for 20-40 min and don't get shit for it if you don't hit anything.
Race you only have to participate in to get rec a win win even when you loose :smile:

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Racing for rec: don't rush, dont use afterburner at the start. Just try to fly without dying.

Vanduul swarm gives you 1500 rec for sometimes ~90 minutes work. While making the third place in racing gives you 333 in a couple of minutes.
You can do faster in dedicated fighters but don't expect to much at the beginning.

Don't buy ships to do a task buy ships to support the project.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Not 100% sure but I think that you need to do at least 1 lap to earn REC in race.
No not as it have been unless they change that resent..

updated :( I am wrong here you do need to complete one lap at least to get rec ) it has changed LoL

as I know start the race get through one ring and your done you get your rec no matter if you do more...

updated :( I am wrong here you do need to complete one lap at least to get rec ) :beers:

gotta try it now just be cause of that ha ha ha I be back with update..

update: Confirmed, one lap minimum then you get rec yes :beers:

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Not 100% sure but I think that you need to do at least 1 lap to earn REC in race.

Well I did some testing now raced one race only went through a couple rings, then one where I went one lap and last I did one complete race.

And is seem you are right you have to complete at least one lap to get rec but that ain't such a struggle..

Here is a Fly Through of all the tracks in one go, a good way to start with :D

Last edited:

OzarkHippy

Space Marshal
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Galileo
Thanks for the advice so far
One of my issues is that I cannot keep the nose on the target. Also Im using mouse and keyboard and the amount that I have to move the mouse before the ship starts turning is way too much in my opinion. If I lock the gimbals it seems to precise.
I think I would be happier using missiles really.

Also I have done some racing. Just enough to upgrade two of my guns to Long swords but that has not helped.

I guess I just need to keep at it, and stop whinning

Ozark

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Thanks for the advice so far
One of my issues is that I cannot keep the nose on the target. Also Im using mouse and keyboard and the amount that I have to move the mouse before the ship starts turning is way too much in my opinion. If I lock the gimbals it seems to precise.

Also I have done some racing. Just enough to upgrade two of my guns to Long swords but that has not helped.

I guess I just need to keep at it, and stop whinning

Ozark
I started out flying with mouse and keyboard and had the same struggle in the beginning until I got sensitivity set up to my liking then it started to become much better and I flew locked gimbals always, I still do.

Tho now I am using dual joy sticks ( HOSAS "Hands On Stick And Stick" ) or Stick and throttle ( HOTAS "Hands On Throttle And Stick" ) depending on what flight I plan do do fighters mostly is HOSAS and bigger ships I use HOTAS.

But I did figure it out how to get mouse and keyboard effective, after messing around in settings included a lot of bad words and some frustration too, but eventually got the hang of it so hang in there it will come to you.

:beers: :beer: :beers:

Shinlen

Grand Admiral
Nov 1, 2015
RSI Handle
xShinlen
About keeping your nose at the target. It's kinda easier with COMSTAB active, but you have to keep in mind that you will be more likely to be hit then. And for beginners I think that weapons with higher firerate are better than longswords.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Hi everyone

So I'm fairly new to the game, and I'm trying to get a kill in the single player vanduul swarm. I'm still in the mustang a.

Question is should I be able to get kills with the Mustang or should I upgrade to a better ship?
Or should I just keep practicing.
Im having a hard time just keeping the other ship in my sights.

Thanks for the advice
Ozark
You should be able to kill some Vanduuls.

you should be able to get at least 1 kill it just takes a lot of practice
So keep practice you will enjoy it later even if it seem almost impossible now
Practice makes perfect.
Yeap, practice really makes you better. It is not only about hitting your target, you also must evade enemy fire. For a beginner learning to fly and evade has higher priority then hit your target. It is no use when you hit your target but also take too much damage yourself, you won't live long enough to kill multiple targets.

Also Im using mouse and keyboard and the amount that I have to move the mouse before the ship starts turning is way too much in my opinion. If I lock the gimbals it seems to precise.
I have no experience with mouse and keyboard, always flown joystick. Apparently mouse and keyboard gives you a better aim, gimballed, while with joystick you aim with your ship, fixed.

once you get more rec you can rent other ships or weapons
So I too suggest do racing to earn rec
I suggest that you earn some REC with racing, buy suitable weapons.

And for beginners I think that weapons with higher firerate are better than longswords.
The Alpha is equipped with 2 M3A laser cannons? Try 4 CF-007 BULLDOG laser repeaters, or 4 9-SERIES LONGSWORD ballistic cannons, gimbals locked. The repeaters have a higher fire rate, lower damage, better hit a few times more with lower damage then miss a few times, without inflicting higher damage.
The Ballistics have a big advantage that they bypass the shields and inflict direct damage while with the repeaters you first must grind the shields away, but in VS you also must take care that you reload ammo.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Flying together with a more experienced fighter also helps a lot. He or she can take the pressure of the fight by eliminating most targets, so you can concentrate on single targets. Therefor you need to be able to stay out of troubles long enough to let the experienced fighter kill most of the targets.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Thanks for all the input. I finally got a kill.
I really like to fly in the PU more than in arena commander, so can I spend aUEC on ship upgrades in the PU if so where do I go.
Thanks, Ozark
No aUEC only work for hand guns and rifle and different space suit in game at the moment, you can buy that in store at Olisar or in HEX stor loged in to Crusader, if you log in to Area 18 you have some more store a gun store and a clothing store this is about it what we can buy now for aUEC..

And I do recommend to fly a lot in single player Free flight and Multi player race or Vandule-pirate swarm to have a back bone of fighting skill with your ship you are going to need that skill to earn money on missions in PU.. as it is now there is almost no mission that do not involve fighting a pirate or vandul ship to clear the mission and earn your aUEC ;)

But I do agree flying in PU is a lot more fun :D

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Well I did some testing now raced one race only went through a couple rings, then one where I went one lap and last I did one complete race.

And is seem you are right you have to complete at least one lap to get rec but that ain't such a struggle..

Here is a Fly Through of all the tracks in one go, a good way to start with :smile:

Show off! ha ha... :)

Keep posting the vids, I learn a lot from watching your racing!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Show off! ha ha... :slight_smile:

Keep posting the vids, I learn a lot from watching your racing!
ha ha... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OK here is a normal practice lap how I practice.... on Old Vanderval last video I made..

Forgot your password?