New ships? Please tell me there will be new ships!

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
So... I got frightened thinking about Alphas running out, so I finally purchased the subtle, yet proven Aurora Legionnaire! After doing so, I downloaded the hangar module on my laptop that can barely run DayZ, and I was absolutely floored. I was playing on Medium at 1366x768, and it still looked gorgeous. Then spent about a half hour sitting in the cockpit crying and hoping the ship would take suddenly take off and I could explore the universe.... Post-sob, I came to the conclusion: I want more ships.

Now to my question. I've looked on r/starcitizen_trades and have seen some crazy ships that aren't on the RSI site. I'm guessing they were available to early backers, but I've heard of these sales that RSI has where they'll sell a new ship for a limited time. So does anyone know if there will be more sales like that? Before the release or before the dog-fighting module? Even if I decided to invest in some ships and resell, I'd love to explore them in my hangar, and have more than one cockpit to sob in. Any info on this would be much appreciated :)

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
Now to my question. I've looked on r/starcitizen_trades and have seen some crazy ships that aren't on the RSI site. I'm guessing they were available to early backers, but I've heard of these sales that RSI has where they'll sell a new ship for a limited time. So does anyone know if there will be more sales like that? Before the release or before the dog-fighting module? Even if I decided to invest in some ships and resell, I'd love to explore them in my hangar, and have more than one cockpit to sob in. Any info on this would be much appreciated :)
My opinion on things: Don't buy any more ships!

Here's my reasons why. First off, many of the ships that you are seeing on the trades are ships that were purchased when there was a huge sale last November for the "1 year anniversary" of SC. Which means, that many of the these ships were purchased with the knowledge that they would be extremely valuable and could be resold at a later time for a lot more money than initially purchased. Its like buying a scalped ticket for the Super Bowl from a guy who bought a bunch just to turn around and sell them. Exhibit A Exhibit B. Highway robbery at its finest, imo.

Like most people, I bought my Retaliator and Aurora LN during the sale because I am an original backer and had the option of LTI on them. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have bought them and would've been happy with my 300i and Connie.

Second, unless you're buying from RSI, there is no point because the money does not go to support SC, its to pad the wallet of the guy who beat you to it. There is a good chance of RSI having another sale to boost funding, but when and what ships, only CR knows.

Third, with the dogfighting module, you will most likely have a Hornet like everyone else so it really won't be a problem. Plus, many of the "special" sale ships won't be in the DFM (at first!) due to the fact that not as many people will have them so they will stick to things like Hornets, Auroras, Avengers, and possibly Connies as more have those ships. Not saying that ships like the Gladiator, Retaliator, or Idris couldn't be in the DFM, but chances are good you won't see them for a long time.

Lastly, you will be able to buy these ships in game for the low, low price of your time investment in earning them! I know it sounds tempting to pay $$$ for these, but you pay a lot more for something you could earn. They are nice to see sitting in the Hangar Module, but really the value in the packages is the alpha and beta access as they've said that, and correct me if I'm wrong here, the beta progress wouldn't be wiped come game time so that way you could afford that Connie you've always wanted upon launch.

My 2 cents.

TL;DR Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it!

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
There is a good chance of RSI having another sale to boost funding
Thank you for your insight! As much as I'd love to atm, I don't think I'll be buying ships from other people. Like you said, it only goes towards their pockets and making them a profit (and by god are they overpriced!). I was mainly curious about future sales, and you answered that question for me. I hope RSI will reach $40 million in funding soon, because that would be an excellent time for a sale ;)

...and correct me if I'm wrong here, the beta progress wouldn't be wiped come game time so that way you could afford that Connie you've always wanted upon launch.
I really hope that is the case. The Connie is a damn beautiful vessel. And with a crew of 4, it'll be perfect for Millenium Falcon role playing!

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
Thank you for your insight!
You're certainly welcome!

I really hope that is the case. The Connie is a damn beautiful vessel. And with a crew of 4, it'll be perfect for Millenium Falcon role playing!
Once the Connie comes into a module or the game, I will need gunners so you're more than welcome to fly with me so you can test it out and see how you like it.

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
Once the Connie comes into a module or the game, I will need gunners so you're more than welcome to fly with me so you can test it out and see how you like it.
I gladly accept! That way I can drink and not risk crashing :D

Reactions: JoeCool4433

Azurith

Captain
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Azurith
I concur with Joe. There will absolutely be more ship sales in the future featuring the second wave of ships. If you decide you want one of them go for it, but do not overpay for a grey market ship for LTI(Its not worth much).
And you can always earn any ship in game like a boss!

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
I concur with Joe. There will absolutely be more ship sales in the future featuring the second wave of ships. If you decide you want one of them go for it, but do not overpay for a grey market ship for LTI(Its not worth much).
And you can always earn any ship in game like a boss!
Thank you! And I have also heard that LTI is overhyped, and a reason for people to sell ships for a premium. And it would definitely be a great feeling if I started out with my Aurora, and gradually increased my collection through the beta so I can start at launch with a couple sick ships!

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
For instance, they have yet to release the Freelancer variants in a special sale. That's something many people are waiting for, and something that could earn RSI a cool million as soon as they do it.

Moar ship are definitely coming.

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
For instance, they have yet to release the Freelancer variants in a special sale. That's something many people are waiting for, and something that could earn RSI a cool million as soon as they do it.
Really? What kind of deal would you expect from that if it happened? I just joined the Alpha, so I haven't seen any sales of any kind.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
Really? What kind of deal would you expect from that if it happened? I just joined the Alpha, so I haven't seen any sales of any kind.
When LTI was ending last November, CIG had a huge sale for limited edition ships like the Merchantman. They raised almost 8 million that month, most of which was in the span of a week.

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
When LTI was ending last November, CIG had a huge sale for limited edition ships like the Merchantman. They raised almost 8 million that month, most of which was in the span of a week.
Wow... In that case then it definitely seems likely that CIG will have another sale soon

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
Like with Auroras, the 300i series, and Hornets, they're likely to release multiple variants off of the base ship, for different functions. Check out the three in-character ship catalogs to see examples. Someone can probably dig up links for you, if they're not apparent on the site.

For instance, Hornets were available as Ghosts, Trackers, and Super Hornets. 300i's were available in fighter, explorer, and racer models on top of the basic, all-purpose model.

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
Like with Auroras, the 300i series, and Hornets, they're likely to release multiple variants off of the base ship, for different functions. Check out the three in-character ship catalogs to see examples. Someone can probably dig up links for you, if they're not apparent on the site.

For instance, Hornets were available as Ghosts, Trackers, and Super Hornets. 300i's were available in fighter, explorer, and racer models on top of the basic, all-purpose model.
Yeah I've checked out the catalog and that definitely makes sense that they'd release different variants soon for the Freelancer. Appreciate the info mate!

Otto

Lieutenant
Feb 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Otto-x
I don't see why they wouldn't release more ships when the can almost literally print money by doing so. I bought a resold Hornet and Merchantman, and ended up paying about 30% over the original price. I came late to the game and that was my fault, but it was worth it to me to have a few LTI ships. Plus I feel like I will be able to fund the insurance for other ships pretty easily with Banu cargo runs.

I wouldn't purchase any other ships at this point unless it's something amazing.

Reactions: Tyronne

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
I don't see why they wouldn't release more ships when the can almost literally print money by doing so.
Exactly. They could reach 50 million by launch EASILY if they release a few new ships for sale

smokebaca

Captain
Feb 12, 2014
RSI Handle
smokebaca
Exactly. They could reach 50 million by launch EASILY if they release a few new ships for sale
I think it is funny too that money so far is only from people pre ordering the game or backing them. I am curious what other revenue avenues they have going. Also I read earlier in this post someone needs a gunner. I could be that man! or woman I guess if i go that route

Tyronne

Captain
Feb 10, 2014
I think it is funny too that money so far is only from people pre ordering the game or backing them. I am curious what other revenue avenues they have going.
Well CIG going to PAX East to showoff the DFM will definitely attract some more backers (if all the spots aren't taken by then).

D

DominationAgenda

Well CIG going to PAX East to showoff the DFM will definitely attract some more backers (if all the spots aren't taken by then).
Pretty sure there will be alpha spots available. The rate of people buying alpha spots has decreased by a lot.

Azurith

Captain
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Azurith
I don't see why they wouldn't release more ships when the can almost literally print money by doing so. I bought a resold Hornet and Merchantman, and ended up paying about 30% over the original price. I came late to the game and that was my fault, but it was worth it to me to have a few LTI ships. Plus I feel like I will be able to fund the insurance for other ships pretty easily with Banu cargo runs.

I wouldn't purchase any other ships at this point unless it's something amazing.
Banu MM you say? this a man with good taste!

Forgot your password?