New space cadet reporting for duty

RubenSaurus

Ensign
May 28, 2022
RSI Handle
RubenSaurus
Hello everyone,

My name is RubenSaurus and I recently got in to Star Citizen.
So far the game has absolutely blown me away with all the systems, graphics, community and more!
I am currently 34 years old and have been playing games since I was a little kid.
I live in The Netherlands so I will mostly play on EU times.

My IGN is RubenSaurus as well so feel free to add me as a friend, I still need to learn almost everything so I could definitely use the help.

Hope to see you all out there sometime!

Ow and I absolutely need a 600i, that beast is sexy AF!

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Welcome to Test Squadron, RubenSaurus! 🍻

If you are just starting out and want a 600i, this might help a bit - apologies if you aren't interested; I realise you didn't ask, but the 600i is quite expensive, and I wish I had known this when I started playing/paying!
  • There are two variants of the 600i - the Touring and the Explorer. Make sure you know which one you want.
  • Neither of them are currently for sale in the RSI web store, but at least one variant is likely to be available in October/November during CitizenCon or the anniversary sale. You can also buy one from other players any time, if you find someone you can trust and can agree a price - sometimes quite a bit cheaper than on the RSI website. It's normal for that to be as a cheap starting ship with cross-chassis upgrades (CCUs) applied, so when you receive your 600i, it might initially look like e.g. an Aurora, a Hoverquad or something else cheap, but if you check properly you can see it is what you bought because the upgrades have been applied. Try our marketplace forum - no vested interest from me as I don't sell ships. Note, some sellers won't sell to you until you've been a member of TEST Squadron for a while, so please don't be offended if they turn you down when you've just joined. There is also eBay. Some folks consider doing that risky - you might get scammed by someone taking your money and not sending the ship, or by sending it to you and later complaining to CIG and claiming their account was hacked - CIG are reputed to generally settle disputes in favor of the original ship owner, so up to you to decide the risks there. I've personally had no issues buying several larger ships on eBay: I was willing to take the risk each time, and so far I have not been scammed.
  • If you don't want to buy a 600i for full price, and don't want to buy it from another player, maybe you are interested in playing the 'CCU Game' a bit? The 'Finale' of Invictus Launch Week (ILW) starts at (I think) 16:00 UTC today, May 30. From then for at least 24 hours (might be 48, I forget) all the discounted warbond CCUs that have been sold during ILW this year are supposed to go on sale again. Warbond means you have to buy them with all new cash, not using any store credit, and they are usually discounted. So if you were going to spend new cash anyway and wanted the 600i Explorer (for example), you can save yourself a few dollars/euros here and there that way. But what might not be so obvious is that you can chain them together, e.g. like this:

1653906534671.png

That means you could buy yourself a 'warbond' Drake Mule for $40 USD/€43.68 EUR, which is discounted by $5: this one...

1653905810095.png

... and then an upgrade from a Mule to a 300i, another upgrade from a 300i to a 325a saving yourself $5, another upgrade from the 325a to the Arrow, another upgrade from the Arrow to the Herald saving another $5, and so on and so on, until you have a complete chain of upgrades to make an Origin C2 Hercules with Lifetime Insurance (LTI) for $280. After that, you only need to wait until November when the 600i should be available to buy again, and you can buy the last upgrade in that chain from the Origin C2 Hercules to the 600i Explorer for (hopefully) $75. So your grand total spend, in USD $ should be about $355 (maybe +/- $20), and you will have your 600i Explorer (if that's what you wanted) which would have cost you $475 otherwise, saving you a total of $120.The downside is that you would have to spend most of the money ($260) now, not in November. There is another slight upside: if there are any of the ships in that chain you would like to fly for a few months, you can apply your upgrades in the chain as far as that ship, and wait before applying the rest of the upgrades.
  • IMPORTANT - don't rely on the example CCU chain in the screenshot above. I think I excluded all the warbond CCUs I have that will not be on sale again tonight/tomorrow, but I might have missed one, and so that screenshot might show something you can't actually get. Get yourself the CCU Game browser extension (available for Chrome and Firefox), or start a thread to ask someone else to help you plan the chain out for yourself.
  • Or don't! We should always remember almost all ships will be available in game for UEC eventually, and we don't need to spend any real money at all to get any ship. :)

Attachments

Forgot your password?