New VR headset from Oculus incoming

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The current Oculus Quest is now listed as discontinued on most retail sites.

Facebook is having its "Facebook Connect" event on Sept 16th and its widely anticipated that they are going to reveal the new Oculus Quest model.

From what has been leaked, its not so much a Gen 2, but more of a + type upgrade, possibly cheaper price point.

More details next week!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
first!

I'm waiting for 4k resolution screens to be miniaturised for headsets

1080p is too janky that close to your face
With the new 3000 series GPUs, its doable with the wired sets.

Im however married to wireless HMDs, so that 4k is not happening any time soon. Maybe in 4yrs from now.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Cheaper price point you say? That tikkles my wallet, color me intrigued!

I wonder if we can hack out the FB tracking bits to make this actually safe for home use...

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I wonder if we can hack out the FB tracking bits to make this actually safe for home use...
I dont use facebook, so I am not really excited to have to associate an account soon.

The irony I see is that so many people are complaining about not wanting to be tracked, as they type the complaint on their iphone with GPS on.

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I still have my original Oculus CV1.
They will have to make it bloody good for me to upgrade, maybe double the performance/graphics and make the set wearable for longer. the sound is good on the CV1.
Also to my chagrin VR games seem to have stalled.

What I will repeat to anyone is try Skyrim or Fallout 4 on VR they are wonderful.
Elite Dangerous on the CV1 changed my perspective on VR, it was magnificent, but took some time to set it all up.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I still have my original Oculus CV1.
They will have to make it bloody good for me to upgrade, maybe double the performance/graphics and make the set wearable for longer. the sound is good on the CV1.
Also to my chagrin VR games seem to have stalled.

What I will repeat to anyone is try Skyrim or Fallout 4 on VR they are wonderful.
Elite Dangerous on the CV1 changed my perspective on VR, it was magnificent, but took some time to set it all up.
I heard DOOM VFR is also a good time. Have ayn of you with real VR sets tried it?

Btw, Skyrim is one of the easiest game to get running on a phone+cardboard streaming from pc system, it's worth a try for those who are interested but can't afford a real VR setup yet.
It takes some work to get running still...

Reactions: Bambooza

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
With the Facebook complication would you consider VR hardware from another manufacturer?

Forgot your password?