New World MMO! - Server East Coast - Valhalla - Covenant

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Hammer is disappointing me.

It either needs to speed up or do more DPS.

I find myself switching to hatchet all the time even though Im really trying to like the hammer.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
PvP is entirely avoidable early on and crafting and non PvP faction quests get decent rewards. Mid to late game, not so sure. And there are the to-be-expected alpha / beta balance issues. High level groups ganking solo lower levels is definitely a thing.

• o7

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
PvP is entirely avoidable early on and crafting and non PvP faction quests get decent rewards. Mid to late game, not so sure. And there are the to-be-expected alpha / beta balance issues. High level groups ganking solo lower levels is definitely a thing.
The receiving end of the gank squad has been almost my entire experience with my forays into pvp in various games. I'd probably wait until I was high level and doing some sort of organized event or something.

• o7

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
level 23. I'm bored
I will not be buying it.
Nothing here that In have not played before.
The world is not very big and it is stuffed with enemies.
I like the fact that they let us play it to try it out, perhaps all games should do that, like test driving a car. (ack steam for their refund period)

• o7

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
Some areas like Restless Shore gives a good bit of xp without PvP , I leveled from 35 to 50 there, but it was slow. For some reason it was very empty and I managed to do those corrupt events.

Yeah, like Montoya also said, the hatchet is just VERY powerful for PvE, quite mindless. Sword and Shield is very good but surely more challenging... Hammer can be good, someday, maybe

• o7

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
yeah, I don't see myself bothering with this game
Star Citizen backer opposes alleged pay to win mechanics in yet unreleased game. 😆

Im going to put 1000hrs into New World. I enjoyed the previous play test and they took a lot of time listening to the community and making the changes that testers requested.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Star Citizen backer opposes alleged pay to win mechanics in yet unreleased game. 😆
Well, when you put it that way...

Call me a sucker, but I understand that CIG is basically starting from $0 and needs money to build something...and I kinda trust CIG to do the right thing with game design.

Those mealy-mouth replies from the studio about New World, saying they are "inviting feedback" and yet telling people "this is the way it is going to be..." had me shaking my head.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Those mealy-mouth replies from the studio about New World, saying they are "inviting feedback" and yet telling people "this is the way it is going to be..." had me shaking my head.
Honesly, I dont mind them selling cosmetics. If Im really into the game, then Ill buy some.

For perks like fast travel or other time savers, as long as you can grind them in the game for free in a reasonable amount of time.

You either have the time or you have the money.

I dont have 10hrs free per day. Some 16yr old on summer vacation does. Why should he be able to surpass me?

Unpopular opinion: Ill pay to get ahead in a game rather than grind 100hrs, its a more efficient use of my time/money ratio.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
For perks like fast travel or other time savers, as long as you can grind them in the game for free in a reasonable amount of time.
<snip>
Unpopular opinion: Ill pay to get ahead in a game rather than grind 100hrs, its a more efficient use of my time/money ratio.
Well, the key is going to be what the definition of "reasonable amount of time"

Based on what we have seen in the past, that is going to likely based more on their expected profit than what regular people would consider "reasonable."

Although, maybe as @maynard points out, first-world players can get a better deal by hiring third-world players to grind for them. Hey, we could start a crypto to use for just this purpose, call it "ExploitCoin"!

Cyril

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Cyril
They are calling it a closed beta. From what I've been able to find it looks like all pre-orders are included and then they will add from the tester signup page as they see fit.

Ethreck

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Ethreck
I am taking off that week. Not just for New World. I just need some time off and it happens to be that week. So I will be in game. Beta starts July 20th. After that, it is supposed release on August 31st.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
It's unfortunate that Amazon delayed New World from last year. I felt like they had a better opportunity to release and deal with the backlash while responding to player feedback to make steps in the right direction. As it stands right now, they pushed forward with the development lead/leadership vision for New World and effectively killed the game, in my opinion. New World doesn't offer anything that you cant get elsewhere in a better package. I anticipate New World is going to monetized to hell to prove to the executives at Amazon that videogames can be successful. If New World fails, which I anticipate it will, because Amazon isn't going to sink money into something without a long term profit expectation, it will probably be the end of Amazon as a game development studio. I see Amazon taking a supporting tech role in the videogame through O3DE support, AWS sales, and publishing.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
New World doesn't offer anything that you cant get elsewhere in a better package
Out of curiosity, what better package would you prefer to play / recommend someone play?

I sunk too many hours into WoW back in the day (first three expansions IIRC). Rift didn't hold my attention long. Then my kids came along and my playtime went from 10-20 hrs a week to 1-2 hrs! I liked Witcher III: Wild Hunt, but didn't get very far into it. Elder Scrolls Oblivion was cool, but same issue - not enough playtime to get engrossed. Might have to go back to one or both of those, as they had such great reviews. More recently I've tried Assassins Creed: Valhalla on Xbox series X, which maybe has a similar vibe to New World? But have been spending all my time in SC for the past 6-7 months. Always up for recommendations, especially ones where you don't have to spend hundreds or thousands of hours to really get to the good stuff.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
Out of curiosity, what better package would you prefer to play / recommend someone play?

I sunk too many hours into WoW back in the day (first three expansions IIRC). Rift didn't hold my attention long. Then my kids came along and my playtime went from 10-20 hrs a week to 1-2 hrs! I liked Witcher III: Wild Hunt, but didn't get very far into it. Elder Scrolls Oblivion was cool, but same issue - not enough playtime to get engrossed. Might have to go back to one or both of those, as they had such great reviews. More recently I've tried Assassins Creed: Valhalla on Xbox series X, which maybe has a similar vibe to New World? But have been spending all my time in SC for the past 6-7 months. Always up for recommendations, especially ones where you don't have to spend hundreds or thousands of hours to really get to the good stuff.
Specifically pertaining to MMOs. Black Desert Online offers the same type of open world environment, different gameplay, action based with a ton of content, far better crafting but is heavily monetized (super grindy). Crowfall offers better pvp but combat isn't as dynamic or engaging. Elder Scrolls Online is very similar to New World in my opinion, but I see New World being more heavily monetized than ESO is. Guild Wars 2 is still a fantastic product, dated, but is better than what I've seen in New World. Final Fantasy XIV, Star Wars The Old Republic, and Sword of Legends all offer a story based theme park experience mixed with smaller pvp portions , but have good content. It's really about what you want to play but if you enjoy New World, it has a low cost of entry and might be worth your time. Up to you.

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
Specifically pertaining to MMOs. Black Desert Online offers the same type of open world environment, different gameplay, action based with a ton of content, far better crafting but is heavily monetized (super grindy). Crowfall offers better pvp but combat isn't as dynamic or engaging. Elder Scrolls Online is very similar to New World in my opinion, but I see New World being more heavily monetized than ESO is. Guild Wars 2 is still a fantastic product, dated, but is better than what I've seen in New World. Final Fantasy XIV, Star Wars The Old Republic, and Sword of Legends all offer a story based theme park experience mixed with smaller pvp portions , but have good content. It's really about what you want to play but if you enjoy New World, it has a low cost of entry and might be worth your time. Up to you.
I agree with your points, specially the low cost of New World. I played GW2 since its beta, and while it has been tremendously fun, it just got stale (almost 10 years, after all!). FF14 is quite awesome, but sub based, so not really what I will have up every month. Although ff14 has a crazy good free trial...

Elder Scroll didn't click my buttons... so New World has the low cost and that unique feeling of being a new game. It will not excel in gameplay compared to what already exists, but it is enviroment is quite stunning and you get the rush of playing something new. With the test of time it may become a common place, a back up game or just some memory.

I see no downsides to playing New World during beta, specially since you can do it for free and get a kick of a new experience. All in all, few games are really going for that unique, groundbreaking experience, like Star Citizen is trying. Which I think its fine, I love drinking the same beer every week (and it is a weiss bier that is also cheap! got lucky there)!

Forgot your password?