New World MMO! - Server East Coast - Valhalla - Covenant

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Caveat to this though, a lot of pve people come into games designed with open world pvp etc. and those pvpers get drawn in first then the PvE people flood in demanding changes etc. and a small loud voice overrides what drew hype and attention to begin with and change the game. Case in point Black Desert, their pvp was fundamentally different then what it was now and imo better. After the changed it killed a lot of interest from the pvp crowd to begin with. Changing for pve is and find and, but when you change the original premise that drew in pvp players and kill it for them. What you get is pve players that can play pvp and pvp players looking else where. PvP players are actively looking for a game designed for them where, " care bears" dont get to dictate how they pvp. I equate it to pve players going to cod forums and getting AI shoved into matches, but they get to choose if they want to engage with players or not and the original player base has to deal with it. It's nice and all, but the original design is now fundamentally changed pissing off the original player base. The new people come and and pretty much to the OG playerbase to go elsewhere etc. harassing people for wanting what was originally promised. I've seen this shit happen A LOT in games with original design.

In the end if the company decides that's where the money is then that's where their going to go, its about profits and marketing and obviously Amazon saw a clear monetary increase by changing the overall game style.

In the end MMO's based entirely on pvp generally do not bring in as many players as games that combine the two, WoW being the biggest example, if WoW was a pvp only based game it never would have reached the milestones it did, Warhammer was a great example of an entirely pvp or rvr based game and it did really well but nowhere near the numbers of WoW. If Amazon could generate a 50% increase in product sales or subs (assuming its sub driven I think so) you can bet your sweet tits their going to make it so.

Again, I feel for the pvp crowd because this was designed to be something different originally which is why I think they could have done it differently, add in PVE but do what other games did, make PVP servers and PVE servers, the only thing I can guess is that with the overall changes maybe this wasn't doable the other problem with pvp and pve games is balance, again WoW a perfect example of NEVER being able to balance the classes, skills and gear between pve and pvp and every patch or two your class goes from being a god to a peon and vice versa.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
Honestly the whole GvG or faction warfare or whatever and how they are doing things based on combat proficiency, it reminds me of both Lineage and Darkfall, both had good and bad sides and these aspects make me think and hope that if we were to get a crew of say 50 involved we could have a ton of fun on this. Waiting on some of our player's feedback before pre-ordering though

• o7

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I will be honest, the ONLY pvp that appeals to me anymore is the Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer online style, if its not open world realm vs realm with GOOD end game mechanics then I will pass, Guild Wars 2 early on had potential but the end game sent most everyone packing, it wasn't deep enough to keep the hardcore players around.

If anyone is interested or remembers playing DAOC check out Camelot Unchained, its basically DAOC 2, its going to be a 3 realm rvrvr based game done by Mark Jacobs same guy who did both DAOC and Warhammer Online. https://camelotunchained.com/v3/

Its still in Alpha, think it has over 4 million in backer funding and I think Mark Jacobs tossed 4 million of his own in, not 100% sure I am in the alpha its very similar to Star Citizen where if you buy a package you get access to certain tiers based on the package you bought.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
In the end if the company decides that's where the money is then that's where their going to go, its about profits and marketing and obviously Amazon saw a clear monetary increase by changing the overall game style.

In the end MMO's based entirely on pvp generally do not bring in as many players as games that combine the two, WoW being the biggest example, if WoW was a pvp only based game it never would have reached the milestones it did, Warhammer was a great example of an entirely pvp or rvr based game and it did really well but nowhere near the numbers of WoW. If Amazon could generate a 50% increase in product sales or subs (assuming its sub driven I think so) you can bet your sweet tits their going to make it so.

Again, I feel for the pvp crowd because this was designed to be something different originally which is why I think they could have done it differently, add in PVE but do what other games did, make PVP servers and PVE servers, the only thing I can guess is that with the overall changes maybe this wasn't doable the other problem with pvp and pve games is balance, again WoW a perfect example of NEVER being able to balance the classes, skills and gear between pve and pvp and every patch or two your class goes from being a god to a peon and vice versa.
The profit things missed the mark of my post, also the balance thing applies to pve as well. There is no difference when it comes to balance, you either have a team that is good at balancing or not. They made a change specifically citing people killing low level people and farming them. Well, i dont think they understand it is in alpha, none of it carries over and literally no one would care then. There is no established game for people to take serious. Can't really make a decision like that based on an environment 0 people care, because there is no carry over. People are going to abuse and test. There are also numerous ways to balance the pvp/pve aspect instead of just removing it and keeping it event based. You can level gate it if the issue was really high levels killing low levels. That isnt hard to balance at all. There is a big difference for pvp and pve here as well. Wow has a two gear system balance, this game has 1. There is no raiding scene or dungeon instances, it is immensely easier to balance. The game is designed around pvp they simply have made removed open world pvp. Most of the game is still entirely pvp based designed. With little emphasis on pve in aspect. They just want pve players to not be farmed. The PvE aspect in this game is city management and crafting side etc. It isnt, raiding or dungeons. Comparing this to wow is a bad example. It would be more akin to Ark or atlas and having those who only want to build be able to build and not be involved in pvp. So they designed a game with open world pvp, pve players joined. Then complained there was open world pvp, knowing this existed. Its like buying a honda, but wanting a toyota. You knowingly bought the honda, wtf? Go buy a toyota then if you want one. I'm not a fan of developers wanting to make a game then get pushed into making something else for "money". Almost akin to being bullied.

Last edited:
  • o7

Fade691

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fade691
Pre ordered this in december and can't wait to give it a try. Glad to see so much interest in this from Test, count me in.

• o7

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
I went ahead today and pre-ordered. I'll be there to give it a try with our people. Ideally long term I'd want to be one of the people who gather and craft in our territory, as just like in SC, I'll be doing much the same through our industry side supporting more and assisting in the fight when needed. I'm not against fighting or pvp at all and enjoy it but I like the aspect that as we expand our territory/city we can get access for crafters to craft better things for the members

Fade691

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fade691
Why don't you take care of that Sir, your the influencer after all. 😉

Besides, i'm saving my energy for bitching about my alpha one access to Ashes of Creation getting pushed back to mid summer because I only pledged $500 instead of $10,000. 😖

Cyril

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Cyril
I just looked at r/New_World_MMO
Scrolling through it I see about
20% I just bought it on steam, why can't I download
20% Its going to fail because...
50% where is beta
10% misc

Do you want to start the subreddit or should I?

• o7

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
Latest update on the game for any that don't follow it regularly

• o7
Forgot your password?