Nice job CIG! Taking advice from EA now?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

Sorry but... not sorry.. this honestly triggered me even though bought two already.
All the other backers who spent all their cash already, won't be given an opportunity to pledge for any land claim "at this time".
Way to kick most backers in the teeth, imo. Sure.. we don't "HAVE" to buy one.. but come on... How do you think that makes pledge addicts feel when you've already tapped their wallets dry with the hammerhead sale.
I think this was a calculated, but stupid decision. Grrrrr

edit:
Case in point

Last edited:

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
They probably want to limit the number of land claims for the eventual release to allow new players a chance to obtain some space of their own. Otherwise everyone would log into already owned solar systems and have to work harder and travel further to find their own little spot.

Though I agree from a funding standpoint it was a bad call.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I knew this would happen. The second I saw no credit option it would cause a tidal wave of anger and I can understand why.

I don't understand why no credit option for land though, seems like they just want to maximise profits and nothing else for the day as there are limited Pioneers and the Mustangs are numerous already.

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
They probably want to limit the number of land claims for the eventual release to allow new players a chance to obtain some space of their own. Otherwise everyone would log into already owned solar systems and have to work harder and travel further to find their own little spot.

Though I agree from a funding standpoint it was a bad call.
His holiness Chris on high said that if every backer claimed an estate parcel(8km x 8km) it would probably occupy about half a planet!
I don't think that land is going to be scarce at all..
So... how much UEC can you buy for $50 or $100 ? I'll be extremely triggered if the UEC price in game is cheaper than the amount of UEC you can buy at the two mentioned denominations.
"Golly Mr. Roberts, I'm ever so PISSED!"

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
His holiness Chris on high said that if every backer claimed an estate parcel(8km x 8km) it would probably occupy about half a planet!
I don't think that land is going to be scarce at all..
I suppose the question is how much of that land is going to be worth claiming?

For my Toilet Roll factory I need 3 things: Wood, Water and Power.

Power I can get from the sun as solar, so a planet not too far from the star is going to be okay.
Wood means I need trees or other slow growing woody Plant biomass which limits the number of planets I can realistically claim on quite drastically.
Water would be where plant-life is...
...but having a decent supply of water and wood in the same place means building my factory on the banks of a reliable river or shore of a lake where a forest meets it...

This is not to mention to make my Toilet Roll racket sustainable, I need an ecosystem that will let me cut and regrow the wood in a reliable timeframe - if the trees on a certain planet take 1000 years to regrow I'll not be building my factory there.

I am now limited to a few planets like Terra and the few places on those planets where my specific requirements are all present - I ain't making bog-roll on a desert planet but I could probably make those toughened-glass toilets I was planning as a side-line on those Desert planets, lots of sand for glass, lots of heat and sun to smelt it down with...

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
I suppose the question is how much of that land is going to be worth claiming?

For my Toilet Roll factory I need 3 things: Wood, Water and Power.

Power I can get from the sun as solar, so a planet not too far from the star is going to be okay.
Wood means I need trees or other slow growing woody Plant biomass which limits the number of planets I can realistically claim on quite drastically.
Water would be where plant-life is...
...but having a decent supply of water and wood in the same place means building my factory on the banks of a reliable river or shore of a lake where a forest meets it...

This is not to mention to make my Toilet Roll racket sustainable, I need an ecosystem that will let me cut and regrow the wood in a reliable timeframe - if the trees on a certain planet take 1000 years to regrow I'll not be building my factory there.

I am now limited to a few planets like Terra and the few places on those planets where my specific requirements are all present - I ain't making bog-roll on a desert planet but I could probably make those toughened-glass toilets I was planning as a side-line on those Desert planets, lots of sand for glass, lots of heat and sun to smelt it down with...
No need for any land at all!
Introducing the next Drake concept ship: The Capitol class Toilet Roll mobile Factory ship !
With this ship you can easily relocate to any area in the verse with an abundance of shit!

Silver

Commander
Mar 27, 2017
RSI Handle
SilverHaze5X
From Land Claim FAQ :

Will I have an advantage over other players if I buy a claim license now?

No. Licenses can be bought for UEC in game and no one will be able to claim land before the mechanic is available in game for all. People that own claim licenses now, during the anniversary sale to support development, and people that earn the money in-game to buy one will be on equal footing assuming they have enough UEC, especially as there will be millions of locations for people to explore and claim within the Universe over the life time of the game.
Will players claiming the “best” plots of land on day one be an issue?

No. Due to the billions of square kilometres of available land over many planets and moons and of course as new Star Systems are introduced and explored, all players will have the ability to find and claim new “hot spots” throughout the lifetime of the game. Also, every player can have their own reason for what could be the ‘best’ piece of land, while some may judge a plot of land based on the type and quantity of natural resources that it contains, others might be looking for proximity to trade routes, and others could simply look for a quiet spot with a beautiful vista. This – combined with the fact that there’s an enormous amount of real estate available – means that prospecting and the purchase of land are two pieces of a supply-and-demand equation governing how rapidly land of a distinct perceived value will come on the market.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
@Silver, buying in game later is not the issue I or others are upset about.
And at point #2, that's not realistic, take the Jav wreck site in PTU 3.0 right now, there's limited space available around every "hand crafted" site on a planetary body.. most people I think will want to live around something "interesting" or "valuable"... procedurally generated land isn't as interesting as hand crafted sites.

Silver

Commander
Mar 27, 2017
RSI Handle
SilverHaze5X
Ikr, i quoted this part with 'Claim bought with real money vs claim bought later with ingame money' in mind.

procedurally generated land isn't as interesting as hand crafted sites.
I agree, despite what they say, it will probably have more stuff in it, compared to the average semi-proceduraly generated land. (i use 'semi' because there is human involved in it aswell, at a lower degree)
And any case, hand crafted lands will probably have a better look & feeling

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
And at point #2, that's not realistic, take the Jav wreck site in PTU 3.0 right now, there's limited space available around every "hand crafted" site on a planetary body.. most people I think will want to live around something "interesting" or "valuable"... procedurally generated land isn't as interesting as hand crafted sites.
#1. This makes it simply a new-cash grab right now, doesn't it? Wonder what they'd do if someone asked for a refund on a ship, then used those funds to pay for a land claim in cash? Could someone do that?

About Point 2: Certainly food for thought - but I am thinking that the most popular spots aren't going to be necessarily around hand crafted sites, but centered on locations with high economic value. There needs to be an element of risk involved in land ownership, I would simply tie it to the economy with a RNG for various resources when the land (planet/moon/whatnot) is created. That is insinuated in the description in the question and answers - but as I've said before, not in any amount of real detail.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I wouldnt buy land for cash lol just wait for it in game claiming a bunch of spots first day is never a good idea as there may be some amazing place later to claim in massive ammounts like some fellow testie finds "The diamond planet" worth billions of UEC. Now your stuck because you already used up all your claims for some zinc ore

Will C.

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2017
RSI Handle
Mute_01
I don't need interesting land. I make the land interesting he he

Forgot your password?