DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Hi,
I'm looking for some players that can play SC at 1080p60** or greater and also run OBS at the same time in local recording mode with settings explained below for TEST related videos. Most immediate need being volunteers for this week and/or weekend (Sunday) for Combat Flight Leaders training. Here's a quick and dirty recap video I did (yesterday) using OBS local recording (no streaming) at the same time. Fair warning, please turn down your audio a bit, 5 second opener has somewhat loud music.

**(I don't mean SC needs to give you 60fps in PU, I mean windows for the screen you're playing SC on needs to be set to 60hz, so window recording at 60fps is a working option AFAIK)

Here are screenshots with explanations of the OBS settings I use for local recordings.
I play SC in 2160p60 (4K @60fps ) via an i7-6700k and dual 980ti's in SLI mode. But, I never get an actual 60fps in the PU, most of the time I get under 30fps. But OBS will record it smoothly at a 60fps rate because my settings below.

In OBS Output settings I have the following

Since I have Nvidia cards, hardware (NVENC) allows me to record high quality with very little CPU usuage compared to x264 so long as the Video bitrate is high enough. Which is why I set my video bitrate to 8000. I also set my recording path to a folder on a different hard drive than my SC installation. This way recording won't interfere with SC. Audio bit rate I set to 320.

For audio settings

I set audio sample rate to 48khz stereo and also put my mic on the same push to talk button as in discord. This way I get clean audio and only record my voice when I need to speak. This allows for cleaner audio recordings.

For Video settings

Since I'm running SC in 4K, I (in this case) want to record in 1080p60 to have the minimal amount of stress on my pc but have the the best quality 1080p60 I can get from 2160p60. So to do this I set the downscale filter to Lanczos 32 samples and make sure my recording FPS is set to 60 and my output resolution is set to 1080p. If I wanted to record in 4K, I would need to increase my video bitrate in the OUTPUT settings to somewhere between 10,000 to 16,000.

For advanced settings

Here's the fun stuff. So I set OBS priority to above normal to increase it's reliability. Render is set to Direct3D 11. Color Format is set to RGB, since we're not streaming we don't have to use NV12 so RGB or I444 is best option. YUV color space is set to 709, this gives (if your monitor can handle it) a much larger color space for more beautiful / rich colors. To fully utilize this, the YUV color range is set to Full.

And that's it, you don't need any fancy capture cards... just a modern Nvidia card to utilize the NVENC hardware encoding which will allow you to play SC and record at the same time, assuming you're using a decent cpu as well. Modern ATI video cards have their own hardware encoding but quality / colors isn't as good in my opinion.

So if you want to be a volunteer for the love of the art and propaganda, please post here! I need you!

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
oh... Nvidia shadowplay... don't use it, OBS gives you so much more options to control quality that it makes no sense to use shadowplay. And shadowplay sometimes fails on the recordings when FPS lag happens. OBS with these settings hasn't failed for me yet.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Whats an OBS?
https://obsproject.com/
Open Broadcast Software
It's a powerful and FREE software for recording your screen like fraps but with streaming options as well and switching options where you can build scenes and use your webcamera ontop of your gameplay.

don't think i can get SC to run 60fps without turning down graphics quality on my 970... sorry...
Oh sorry, let me re-explain, I'll edit my post, I mean for the screen you run SC on, that is displays 1080p60 via windows settings. In game it's almost impossible to get 60 fps except in menu's and Star marine. But so long as windows is set to atleast 60hz... it means OBS won't have a problem capturing SC at a constant 60 FPS (important for video editing) even though SC is going as slow as 12 frames a second (which happens at times for me).

Might help explaining what you want people to record.. :slight_smile:
I'll give a briefing for any event I'm helping with right before we film, and even teach if needed about composition and rules of thirds and Fibonacci spirals through videos as well if needed. Basically the camera guys will be sitting in turrets or ship seats (not piloting) using SC's cinema camera mode to be.. well... a cameraman or woman. It's currently the only way to capture really good footage while a pilot is in combat.

I'll try this out. Hopefully, my computer issues with Win10 freezing randomly have been resolved and I can use OBS, again.
Awesome! I hope the freezing issue is sorted out! Is your CPU maxing? Or disc speeds hitting max?
I use a tweak tool called Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
The advanced features require a license but otherwise it's free, and it can help to fix a LOT of issues in all modern versions of Windows.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Awesome! I hope the freezing issue is sorted out! Is your CPU maxing? Or disc speeds hitting max?
I use a tweak tool called Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
The advanced features require a license but otherwise it's free, and it can help to fix a LOT of issues in all modern versions of Windows.
After much research, it may be an issue with the Win 10 Anniversary update. Since I didn't actually have the update until I installed a new CPU and SSD, that seems the most likely culprit, and I'll just need to roll back to an earlier version of Win 10. Should sort it out.

Reactions: DirectorGunner
Forgot your password?