Odyssey QnA is out

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Great update, thanks!

My take-away from the Q&A is that the Odyssey is special for it's self-fueling ability and that's largely it. Refueling others is possible, but manually.

No other exploration bonuses compared to other ships? Hmm. I guess I called it earlier when on the CIG forums that the Polaris will be its reasonable equal for exploration.

Last edited:

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Pretty much as expected. Execept the clarification that there are no real differences between the crew quarters which is interesting.

The biggest disadvantage of the Carrack on the long term might be it's only home for one person and you might have to actually pay the crew to help you on longer missions.

Whereas, poeple can truly nest equally luxurious and feel comfortable in the Odyssey 🙂

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Pretty much as expected. Execept the clarification that there are no real differences between the crew quarters which is interesting.

The biggest disadvantage of the Carrack on the long term might be it's only home for one person and you might have to actually pay the crew to help you on longer missions.

Whereas, poeple can truly nest equally luxurious and feel comfortable in the Odyssey 🙂

I think the people who assume the Ody can replace the Carrack because it has bigger guns are going to be severally disappointed when they run into hostile situations and have to actually maneuver that whale of a ship with about zero chance of evading a fight.

The ships compliment each other more than they are competitors from a practical perspective, IMHO. No ship does everything great ... the Ody won't be any different.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
And I still really don't understand why this freaked so many people out given that the Endeavor was announced YEARS ago ...

I could see not understanding that CIG will never stop making ships, thus something bigger and better will be on the horizon.
But getting upset at a potential Carrack alternative ... when one already exists? ehhhhh ... wut

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Sometimes it feels like due to overall frustration ... the community gets upsets over the wrong things. Since it's something they feel "affects" them the most personally, they just kinda lose it.

I mean ... people complain about the new looting system. Are you kidding me? Oh Noezzzz ... the horror ... a new thing to actually DO in the game (unpolished or not). wtf. Took 9 years to be a loot goblin ... I'll take what I can get thank you. lol

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Great vid! The Q&A confirmed that I was mostly right about the Oddy, so I'm glad that I pounced on the concept Oddy with Concierge paint & happy that after the required day, that I melted it to provide store credit to help establish other ships for my fleet to cover more bases since I already have a Carrack. My money still went to help fund SC & I'll eventually purchase my Oddy out later with times & funds permit. I was bummed to learn that the plan would exclude the Dur for the exploration purpose boost, but allowing it to use a Terrapin for that works for me, but with much less range & firepower / defenses.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well preatty much all of the answers ware predictable with some good-sense, nice to see that extended list fo ship that cna fit in, btw, the fact that it fit the Defender means that hangar is not anly tall, but also qute large, so it likely that we'll be able to fit multiple of some ships in there.

Now considering the answers I'll prepare pop-corn for the flood of tears and complains of ex-carrack owners that spoend extra to upgrade to the Odissey thinking it was a "Carrack-killer"... already enjoing it..

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Nice video!

I'm really happy by the variety of ships you can fit inside. A defender is a big wide ship when landed. Means you can fit probably 2 or more smaller ships.
Also if I extrapolate from other information.

From the Odyssey brochure :
HANGAR LANDING PAD XS

From the Scorpius Q&A :
What size of ships does it fit into?
We designed the landed state to make sure it fits the metrics for ‘extra small’ or Size 2 landing pads. This is in line with the majority of our other fighters and allows it to fit inside a Polaris.

Scorpius is XS, Mantis is also XS.

Mantis was once said as potientially fitting in a Polaris if they upgrade Polaris hangar to metric pads, when Sabre was then the upper limit for the Polaris. Now that Polaris hangar is up to date, and can fit a Scorpius according to Scorpius Q&A, Mantis is also fitting in an XS hangar.

This means they should fit in an Odyssey XS hangar even if not specifically mentionned in the Odyssey Q&A (since they stated in the Q&A "An XS hangar generally refers to what the community calls “small” ships" and right after "The non-exhaustive list of ships includes...").

So taking into account the landed size of all those XS ships, the Odyssey hangar size are at least :
  • 30m long (Scorpius length when landed as seen in Scorpius brochure, same as Mantis actually)
  • 24m wide (Sabre beam when landed, the biggest beam of all ships mentionned, but hangar width might be bigger since I do not know the Defender beam when landed)
  • 8m height (Mantis height, +some extra when landed so probably around 9-10m).

Add some extra space to move around a ship (like a Scorpius landed).

You can fit a lot of ships in that space 😛 😍

For instance :
  • You might squeeze 2 Scorpius if lucky (landed opposite side, but probably too wide),
  • 2 Hurricane for defense (perpendicular to Odyssey, side by side, they fit in that surface),
  • 1 Hurricane for defense + 1 Terrapin for scouting (perpendicular to Odyssey, side by side, they also fit in that surface).
  • 2 Arrow (facing each other side by side perpendicular to Odyssey) + 1 FC7-R Tracker for scouting (perpendicular to Odyssey), they should fit in that surface.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Scorpius is XS, Mantis is also XS.

Mantis was once said as potientially fitting in a Polaris if they upgrade Polaris hangar to metric pads, when Sabre was then the upper limit for the Polaris. Now that Polaris hangar is up to date, and can fit a Scorpius according to Scorpius Q&A, Mantis is also fitting in an XS hangar.

This is my hope as well that the Polaris will share the same hanger as the Odyssey

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
This is my hope as well that the Polaris will share the same hanger as the Odyssey
Like you I think it will. They will standardize all hangar in the end according to the new metric pad (xxs, xs, and so on...). So all XS ships and under will fit in an Odyssey.

Now they also might introduce a weight limit or ship limit in the end for hangars (like for the Endeavor hangar in the old Q&A, with the "if it sits it fits, while in local space" but not for jumps).

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
Pure exploration ability? As in heading out long distances and being able to find things with little or no contact from the other side of the universe?

Odyssey 100% trumps the Carrack with current info.

Why? Refueling yourself means you can just keep going, no need to return to base or hunt for a trader/hub.

Plus, when you are out in the wild, you can send your prospector/cargo ship from your huge beautiful hangar through a jump point you couldnt fit into in order to re-supply, re-arm or unload things.
It literally is an almost complete staging craft and/or base of operations for exploring. The Carrack is something you head out with when what you want to explore is WITHIN fuel range(or round trip range) or you know there will be support waiting/available at the destination.

Last edited:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I still don't understand why everyone is comparing Carrack to Odyssey, especially Carrack owners, who seem to be angry (at least some of them).
Let's take a look at one of the most important aspects of both ships -- their prices:

Ship NameConcept PriceRelease Price
Carrack350 USD500 USD (Warbond) / 600 USD (Credits)
Odyssey625 USD (Warbond) / 700 USD (Credits)800-900 USD (Estimated)

Originally, Carrack supposed to be smaller, but it grew over time, that's why its price increased almost twice. But still, Odyssey, being much larger and much more expensive multi-purpose spacecraft, should not be compared to the medium-size dedicated exploration ship with the tiny ship hangar.

The size isn't the only reason of the higher price of Odyssey. That ship supposes to be self-sustaining and self-sufficient, which, in combination of the energy-only loadout, should allow the players to stay away of any services for long periods of time. This would also lower total cost of ownership.

Last edited:

Rodo1jub

Captain
Dec 8, 2021
RSI Handle
Rodoljub
My opinion :

I do not like MISC design and their ship making style....

So carrack is by far more pretty, and that also count for a lot.

Also carrack can be solo played....Odyseey probably not.

Also carrack will be fast and agile compare to odyseey.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Ok I did some approximate calculations based on the Odyssey brochure and thanks to Pythagoras, it seems that the hangar is shorter than my expectations.
That is indeed why the Reliant (14.5m * 28.5m) is stated in the Q&A as not fitting inside then I guess (though it could fit diagonaly, shortest diagonal of the hangar with shortest length of 25.5m and width of 19.2m is 31.9m).

Length is between 26.1m or 25.5m depending on reference used
Width is around 19.2m (groundfloor, though it is probably a bit wider because of the curved wall when not on groundfloor).

A Defender in landed mode is around 26m length, so those estimates arent really accurate.

1639431543567.png

I used the following pictures, calculating the diagonal each time in pixels, then converting it to meters knowing the ship total length. Note that this is very approximate, as it does not take into account the perspective of the ship shown in the picture from brochure.

For total length as reference (140m)
1639431215246.png

For hangar max length (approximate) :
1639431202681.png

or
1639431585095.png

For hangar max width :
1639431192041.png

I really hope that I am wrong in the end 😅😉

Attachments

Last edited:
Forgot your password?