Shards

Captain
Dec 9, 2013
RSI Handle
Shards
Where you from stranger?
Columbus, Ohio
What drew you to Star Citizen?
I don't remember the exactly when I heard about Star Citizen, but considering the first game I ever really played and fell in love was the original Wing Commander, when I heard that Chris Roberts was making a new epic game, I couldn't say no.
What do you look forward to most in Star Citizen? (PVP, Exploration, etc)
Space Combat, being a Mercenary / Privateer
What was the first game you remember playing?
F-15 Strike Eagle on the Commadore 64. The first game I ever really was good at and was old enough to understand was the original Wing Commander
What other games do you play?
BF4, LoL are the two that are currently occupying most of my time.
Picard or Kirk?
Yes

Shards

Captain
Dec 9, 2013
RSI Handle
Shards
Welcome!

Aha! Someone to convert to Dota 2!

:D
I have played DOTA 2 to as well as LoL. Honestly I like the character dynamics of Dota 2 more than LoL, but the on screen vision, having so much less in Dota, made me dislike it. After playing LoL for several years, that zoomed in look that Dota has just aggravates me. Also denying can diaf.

Flipper

Grand Moff of TEST Squardon
Nov 1, 2013
I have played DOTA 2 to as well as LoL. Honestly I like the character dynamics of Dota 2 more than LoL, but the on screen vision, having so much less in Dota, made me dislike it. After playing LoL for several years, that zoomed in look that Dota has just aggravates me. Also denying can diaf.
Just give it time! Once you get used to it you realize that literally everything is better, down to Valve not being the next incarnation of EA and having all heroes available to you from the get-go. The key is to find people to play with who aren't assholes.

Shards

Captain
Dec 9, 2013
RSI Handle
Shards
Just give it time! Once you get used to it you realize that literally everything is better, down to Valve not being the next incarnation of EA and having all heroes available to you from the get-go. The key is to find people to play with who aren't assholes.
I gave it a solid 2 months, like I said, I like the characters better, which is 75% of the game, but denying and the lack of on screen vision eventually made me switch back. Does DOTA have ARAM yet?

Flipper

Grand Moff of TEST Squardon
Nov 1, 2013
I gave it a solid 2 months, like I said, I like the characters better, which is 75% of the game, but denying and the lack of on screen vision eventually made me switch back. Does DOTA have ARAM yet?
The mode is in, a matchmaking/queue system for it is not. MM includes all-pick, captain's mode, captain's draft, random draft, all random, and whatever the mode where you get one agi, one int, and one strength hero is called. Ranked MM is being added very soon (next patch maybe? there was a post on blog.dota2.com about it). I'm surprised that the more zoomed-in vision was a bother for that long. Also denying is amazing. It means lane-ing actually involves some semblance of skill and control.

Shards

Captain
Dec 9, 2013
RSI Handle
Shards
The mode is in, a matchmaking/queue system for it is not. MM includes all-pick, captain's mode, captain's draft, random draft, all random, and whatever the mode where you get one agi, one int, and one strength hero is called. Ranked MM is being added very soon (next patch maybe? there was a post on blog.dota2.com about it). I'm surprised that the more zoomed-in vision was a bother for that long. Also denying is amazing. It means lane-ing actually involves some semblance of skill and control.
I won't disagree that denying requires more skill, but it is absolutely brutal for the person who is less skilled. By the end of my playtime I was only "ok" at denying. And which ever side was better at denying normally destroyed the other laner, much more so than being the comparatively worse Last Hitter in LoL.

The view thing was that every time I played the game, I felt like I should be able to see more. The zoomed in view is just needlessly restrictive, at a high level of play, watching the mini-map for ganks is pretty second nature, so why limit the field of view at all. The 2 arguments I ever saw for it were 1) DOTA 1 was limited this way, so DOTA 2 should be too and 2) It makes ganks easier against bads who can't watch the minimap. Neither of those reasons is adequate to me.

My overall take away in the Dota 2 vs LoL debate: Dota 2 requires more skill, has better character balance, and a better item system. However, when things go wrong for you in Dota 2, the game is considerably less fun than when things go wrong for you in LoL. Dota 2 also can be overly snowbally, if one lane of the enemy team gets way ahead, you can really have 1 player that carries an entire team, where in LoL that very rarely happens. Overall, LoL for me is generally more fun, because of these reasons.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
is he new?

Forgot your password?