Oh no, a 2nd Monitor Thread

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
Yes, it is a monitor help thread, but honestly, when it comes to monitors, I am just flabergasted about it. I'm good with RAM, GPU's, MB's etc, but when I need to pick a new monitor it's like the stuff is written in Swahili.

What I am looking for:
27", but don't know what kind of panel to look at (TN, IPS, VA, etc)
1440p (From the limited stuff I could find out, 1440p looks much better than 1080p at that size)
Thin Bezels - not an absolute deal breaker, but they do bug me
G-Sync/Freesync not big issue.

Games:
Star Citizen (of course)
MWO
World of Tanks/Warships
SWTOR every so often
GW2 every so often
Games not released yet that I would like to play and would like to enjoy the eye candy.

Yes, I know that is very much dependent on the vid card, but I do want a good panel for the vid card to show me my candy.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
The internet is so divided on the topic of monitors. I've been researching to purchase a new one for more than a month.
The only consensus seems to be that IPS is better than TN for color reproduction, so Star Citizen would benefit more from an IPS panel. Then there's the debate between refresh rate and resolution (which will have to be a tradeoff, so it can fit in the $600 budget): some people swear that a high refresh rate is something that changes your life, while other people say that refresh rate doesn't matter and that it's all about the resolution. Basically this:
"-Less than 144hz is for peasants."
"-Kek, the human eye can only see blah blah blah."
"-But once you go 1440p or 4K, you can never go back."

My advice is this: Go for an IPS panel over a TN, because Star Citizen will look more beautiful. A high refresh rate, while it makes stuff look smoother, matters less when you'll slowly drool over the breathtaking landscapes while cruising in your ship. But if you care about being competitive in Star Marine, sure, consider refresh rates. Gsync/Vsync matters less with lower refresh rates, as there's a smaller chance that your GPU won't be able to feed your panel.

tl;dr: IPS, 1440p, 60hz

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
As a starting point it depends on what your GPU is capable of supporting first and foremost. You could spend a grand on a monitor but your GPU could be a bottleneck. For instance if your running a GTX 1050 or 1060 blowing a ton of money on a monitor which can support #x1440 or #x2160 as the GPU with hopes or running ultra high settings would find yourself disappointed later.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
If you are looking for a budget monitor, I would highly suggest looking at off-brand Korean QHD monitors. They use lower binned panels from Samsung and LG and basically perform 90% at half the cost.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF-lOrw6iL8

That is one of the panels I would suggest. Downside is that inputs is usually limited and the design is not as sexy as some of the other monitors out there.

If you are set on a 27in non-curved monitor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crossover-NEW-27VV-IPS-QHD-Freedom-2560x1440-AH-VA-IPS-60Hz-RealClock-Monitor-/152249623309?epid=2013639781&hash=item2372c8e30d:g:3f4AAOSwPCVX4hfD

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
As a starting point it depends on what your GPU is capable of supporting first and foremost. You could spend a grand on a monitor but your GPU could be a bottleneck. For instance if your running a GTX 1050 or 1060 blowing a ton of money on a monitor which can support #x1440 or #x2160 as the GPU with hopes or running ultra high settings would find yourself disappointed later.
I have a GTX970 and run 5760x1200, medium quality. Good point, If you buy a great monitor, your GPU also must be capable using that great monitor to its max capabilities.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Do not forget the cable, the thing most people forget, is to get the right type of cable as in HIGH speed, Dual link - HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort....
Make sure the cable support the target resolution and refresh rate speed or higher than you get/set it to remove bottleneck connection...

For if you have the best of the best in Computer and monitor and forget the cables to your hot-rod computer, it will still perform like crap using wrong or budget cables, the one mistake many does... Then get angry for their high end system did not perform as good as they hoped..

Good cables remove bottleneck in computer system even a crappy old computer/monitor can benefit from a high speed cable more expensive cables and make computer and system feel like new again....

Cheers! :beers: :beers:

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
That is food for thought, but thinking if I go 4k, might as well have an 1080Ti to drive it, you know?

Would the GTX 1080 be able to drive the 4k monitor? Yes
Would it be able to do so at levels to take advantage of the 4k monitor? For me, unknown.

Personally, if I was runninga 4k monitor, I'd want a 1080Ti

Not saying no to the idea, but I have some reservations. Refresh rates are gonna matter a lil since we do have Star Marine and the like.

And if 4k was an option, would maybe look at the LG 27UD68P-B 27" IPS 4k UHD for the same price.

Last edited:

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
I wanted to chime in here as I am also looking to update my main monitor. I am looking to spend significantly more on a new monitor as it has been my longest lasting piece of hardware. I am leaning toward the 1440p IPS with GSYNC and a higher refresh rate. I am hoping the end of the year will have some good sales that I can take advantage of.

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
That is food for thought, but thinking if I go 4k, might as well have an 1080Ti to drive it, you know?

Would the GTX 1080 be able to drive the 4k monitor? Yes
Would it be able to do so at levels to take advantage of the 4k monitor? For me, unknown.

Personally, if I was runninga 4k monitor, I'd want a 1080Ti

Not saying no to the idea, but I have some reservations. Refresh rates are gonna matter a lil since we do have Star Marine and the like.

And if 4k was an option, would maybe look at the LG 27UD68P-B 27" IPS 4k UHD for the same price.
I am not 100% sure but some brief research indicates you can run a 4k monitor in 2k resolutions thereby future proofing your monitor into your next gpu upgrade. Since we've established you can get a 4k for less than a 2k I'd gp for it. Why not get two :).

I will be buying my next monitor based on the video card I will be getting for a future release of SC. In my case I'm going for a acer predator x34a.

Just seems going for a 4k and running in 2k on your 1080 will scream and you could experiment with 4k if you like. Experimenting is fun but I'm a tad it of an enthusiast.

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
About a year ago my monitor died so I put this 50" 4k TV on my desk until I found a replacement monitor.
I run the desk top at 4k 60 Hz and tell a game to launch in 1080P 60 Hz... TV up scales... works / looks / performs freaking awesome enough for me.... I love being able to ...kick back... and watch Videos, read shit posts and listen to music in 4K.
So I'm keeping my eye out for 3 matched 4K 50" 4 4 4 croma 120 / 240Hz with HDR for a reasonable price.
Prices keep falling like a rock so who knows... by the time SC alpha releases 50" OLED's could be 500.00 bucks.
tv1.jpg

I run intel X-99 system with a 980ti

Last edited:

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
I am not 100% sure but some brief research indicates you can run a 4k monitor in 2k resolutions thereby future proofing your monitor into your next gpu upgrade. Since we've established you can get a 4k for less than a 2k I'd gp for it. Why not get two :slight_smile:.

I will be buying my next monitor based on the video card I will be getting for a future release of SC. In my case I'm going for a acer predator x34a.

Just seems going for a 4k and running in 2k on your 1080 will scream and you could experiment with 4k if you like. Experimenting is fun but I'm a tad it of an enthusiast.
Yes, I can run screen resolution at 4k and set game resolutions to launch at 4k, 2K, or 1080p all seamlessly.. at the same time.

You can watch movies and youtube at 4K.

And have also noticed that 2K looks much better then 1080p... however 4k looks only a little better then 2K...

And 1080p looks better on a 4k panel as opposed to 1080p on a 1080p panel due to the smaller more densely packed pixels within each square inch of the 4K panel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mich Angel

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
About a year ago my monitor died so I put this 50" 4k TV on my desk until I found a replacement monitor.
I run the desk top at 4k 60 Hz and tell a game to launch in 1080P 60 Hz... TV up scales... works / looks / performs freaking awesome enough for me.... I love being able to ...kick back... and watch Videos, read shit posts and listen to music in 4K.
So I'm keeping my eye out for 3 matched 4K 50" 4 4 4 croma 120 / 240Hz with HDR for a reasonable price.
Prices keep falling like a rock so who knows... by the time SC alpha releases 50" OLED's could be 500.00 bucks.
View attachment 7673
I run intel X-99 system with a 980ti
I need to steal your X52 star citizen profile!

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
why stop at 2 monitors?
Oh, so gonna get 2.

My thing about the 4k is the 60hz refresh rate so when the 120hz and such become avail just a waste. I'd rather wait for when 4k has higher refresh adn then pop the one now over 1 and replace my 2nd monitor

But tempted. As far as 50" TV, nope, I got a 42" plasma for movies. And desk aint even close to the bed.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Oh, so gonna get 2.

My thing about the 4k is the 60hz refresh rate so when the 120hz and such become avail just a waste. I'd rather wait for when 4k has higher refresh adn then pop the one now over 1 and replace my 2nd monitor

But tempted. As far as 50" TV, nope, I got a 42" plasma for movies. And desk aint even close to the bed.
i have a 28" 4k which has G-sync and runs nonstop at 60fps...... its fucking amazing. 60hz is more than enough refresh rate for my taste.

Forgot your password?