♪♫♬ Operating System Blues ♪♫♬

Malice

Vice Admiral
Oct 12, 2017
RSI Handle
Malice-Black
My PC is 7 years old and cannot run SC very well. It was an absolute beast back in the day.. but it's showing its age. I've been waiting for S42 or maybe closer to SC to build another over-the-top PC, meanwhile, if there's a game I MUST play I'll play it on my buddy's new custom PC.

My main question for you all is this.. Have you heard of Windows 10 LTSC, or been fortunate enough to have used it, perhaps even with Star Citizen? What are your experiences with it?

I'm pretty disappointed with Windows 10's features... I can't help but feel like I'm navigating a dumpster fire. I don't use Cortana (have you? does it make anything easier?), Edge, or the Microsoft App Store. I don't like having to use online walk-throughs to ensure I disable all the background processes bogging down my system or using bandwidth to send the NSA my latest fetishes.

I'm wondering if LTSC is worth looking into? Albeit very difficult to acquire? Once Vulcan is fully supported do you think SC will run better on a Linux system or Windows? I'm wondering if a dual-boot Linux/W10 system would be worth testing out?

Reactions: SullyQuindarius

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I don't really know what win10 ltsc is, but I get why you would want to run SC on a lighter system. Personally I use cortana all the time, since I was a windows phone user for the last 4 years, and got it installed on my spydroid phone as well so I can share my fetishes with all the corporations and agencies!
Anyways, I've never heard of trouble-free gaming on Linux really, there are always driver support issues, if not the graphics, then sound or something else needs adjusting or is entirely missing. You said you don't want to waste time following online helps and such, and I highly doubt you can get away with Linux without doing exactly that. I'd go with the most "generic" system the game is being developed for, which is a "stock" win10 running on some powerful hardware. If you have enough ram and 8 or more cores, background stuff won't be an issue. I only got 16gigs and 4cores and it runs okay in 1080p. Only thing I had to do was turn off the windows 10 gaming overlay which was a few clicks, and it doesn't even crash anymore.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
My PC is 7 years old and cannot run SC very well. It was an absolute beast back in the day.. but it's showing its age. I've been waiting for S42 or maybe closer to SC to build another over-the-top PC, meanwhile, if there's a game I MUST play I'll play it on my buddy's new custom PC.

My main question for you all is this.. Have you heard of Windows 10 LTSC, or been fortunate enough to have used it, perhaps even with Star Citizen? What are your experiences with it?

I'm pretty disappointed with Windows 10's features... I can't help but feel like I'm navigating a dumpster fire. I don't use Cortana (have you? does it make anything easier?), Edge, or the Microsoft App Store. I don't like having to use online walk-throughs to ensure I disable all the background processes bogging down my system or using bandwidth to send the NSA my latest fetishes.

I'm wondering if LTSC is worth looking into? Albeit very difficult to acquire? Once Vulcan is fully supported do you think SC will run better on a Linux system or Windows? I'm wondering if a dual-boot Linux/W10 system would be worth testing out?
What does LTSC stand for?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Only thing I had to do was turn off the windows 10 gaming overlay which was a few clicks, and it doesn't even crash anymore.
I'm a Mac user, which is why I don't play SC yet, but I will be building or buying a machine just for SC in the next few months. I haven't use a windows machine in a decade, so am a little apprehensive about it.

What is the "windows 10 gaming overlay"?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I'm a Mac user, which is why I don't play SC yet, but I will be building or buying a machine just for SC in the next few months. I haven't use a windows machine in a decade, so am a little apprehensive about it.

What is the "windows 10 gaming overlay"?
Windows 10 gaming mode / overlay or whatever supposed to help with gaming by limiting background apps resource usage (doesn't work) and allows you to record your gameplay, and has some other features that I have no idea about. So basically useless for those who already use other software to stream and record I guess. I never actively used it for anything, that's for sure.

Forgot your password?