{Opinion} Which <$100 Ship Is Best for AC

Solarian

Lieutenant
Oct 25, 2015
RSI Handle
SolarianShift
I am curious what everyone's opinions are concerning the state of COMBAT ships available currently in the store for entry level folk. I have a friend who is thinking of coming into the game and is a heavy pew pew sort and is asking if he should even bother with a budget of $100.

Since I am relatively new, this should be a great learning tool for me as well. I have the Avenger, and while good - I wish it had more power (will be getting upgraded weapons shortly)

I will leave a list here since I cannot put all the ships into a poll (there are too many)

Thanks for your feedback.

Avenger
Gladius
P-52 Merlin
Mustang Alpha
Mustang Beta
Mustang Gamma
Aurora ES
Aurora MR
Aurora CL
Aurora LN
300i
315p
325a
Cutlass Black

I've not included ships that are currently unavailable at the RSI forms for under $100. Grey market may be an option, but he is a 'buy from the man first' kinda guy, so.

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
Gladius hands down.
Pretty much the only answer if you're talking about just AC, really. It's the only ship on that list purpose built only for combat (other than arguably the P-52 which as a cheap snubfighter is always going to be less capable).

Reactions: Solarian

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
It's not necessary to own any 'decent' combat ships. If it's AC you're looking for I'd just go with the cheapest starter ship and rent your favourite out with REC.

Solarian

Lieutenant
Oct 25, 2015
RSI Handle
SolarianShift
Thank you all, and Myre, I understand that. I had the Merlin and Mustang Alpha and decided to go to the Avenger on looks alone. He, on the other hand...

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
Because you asked for opinions, not facts, I'm going to tell you to go for the Aurora LN.

Between all the free fly weeks, I've tried most of the military ships, and the Aurora consistently gets my farther in Vanduul swarm. It's probably just 'cause I'm a shitty pilot, but man, I love that ship.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
A sub-$100 combat ship is a kamikaze machine in the hands of an unskilled pilot, take that bit of advice from an unskilled pilot. Also, testis tend to drink a little, so it doesn't hurt as much when they crash their Auroras into opponents. That being said, I have flown all of the ships on your list in combat, and I own 3 of them(Mustang Beta, P-52 and Aurora LN, I had a 325a but I melted it as part of a deal on a Freelancer, and they gave me a Hornet as a loaner. I also have a Sabre on order). Out of all of them, I have managed to stay alive the longest in the Gladius. If I lurk behind a rock in an aurora LN, I can usually get off a spread of missiles(which miss)before I am dog piled by a bunch of serious and sober guys. The Mustang and the P-52 are made of paper mache, but the guns are pretty good, and they're pretty fast. Just keep moving from asteroid to asteroid until they find you and gut you like a fish. I spent a lot of time in the Gladius though, and I really liked it. It seemed a nice mix of missiles, guns and speed. I really miss my 325a too. Practice a lot, keep a finger on the eject key, and get used to hearing the word "re-spawn".

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Rock. No wait, Paper. Actually I hear Scissors is being revamped, so...
Joking aside, it probably depends on your play style, but ultimately this is a skill-based game. The goal is that a good Mustang or Aurora player 'should' be better than an okay hornet or 3xx player (pending various loadouts like weapons & shields purchased with REC). Consider that AC is constantly being updated. what Hornet might have some advantage this month might be the 300's bitch next month. You never know.

Reactions: Carlos Spicyweiner

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
This thread got me to thinking last night(not a good thing), and I went ahead and bought a Gladius. Looks like I live on jelly beans and kool-aid until pay day. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm still getting my ass handed to me in AC, but I'm doing it with style!

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Cutlass Black
Mustang Delta
Avenger
325A

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
325a works ok if you upgrade the shields but still not very strong.
I had a Gladius and it was pretty solid for me until I upgraded it to a Super Hornet.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
325a works ok if you upgrade the shields but still not very strong.
I had a Gladius and it was pretty solid for me until I upgraded it to a Super Hornet.
It also help a lot in AC when I upgraded my box.

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
Gladius or 325a.

Rent them until you know which one you like the most, i use a 325a with a mantis under the nose and 2 badgers on the wings, with rattler II cluster missles.

It works with my play style, but i also bought the 325 cause i thought it would be a more versatile ship in the PU than a gladius.

All this being said, its worth mentioning that if your budget is a hundered, spend 10 more and get a hornet, and rent guns for it...

Sanbo

Admiral
Donor
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Sanbo
I would have to agree with the peeps saying use REC first. Find the one that you enjoy flying. Of course you can always just melt your pack every 24hrs till you find the one you like too.

Personally I use my SH, But when I want to go fast and turn lol I use the P-52.

Forgot your password?