Optain Memory

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Had no idea you were talking about a new technology. Just thought you misspelled "obtain".

I mean the tech seems pretty cool, but you have to basically train it to what you use most often before you get its full effect. I have loaded into the PU from the main menu in less than 30 seconds on my setup. I suppose the longest part is the servers, not the actual load time. I would stick to a SSD for best cost vs. efficiency ratio.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Had no idea you were talking about a new technology. Just thought you misspelled "obtain".

I mean the tech seems pretty cool, but you have to basically train it to what you use most often before you get its full effect. I have loaded into the PU from the main menu in less than 30 seconds on my setup. I suppose the longest part is the servers, not the actual load time. I would stick to a SSD for best cost vs. efficiency ratio.
Friar Thugg and the Keg of Knowledge both agree to this solution.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
So the new Optane memory is designed to specifically speed up mechanical storage (HDDs) but the benchmarks show that it really works. The problem with it is that it only works on 7th gen Intel processors and I believe only the newest motherboard chipsets like Z270. If you already have those things and can't afford an SSD then go for the Optane.

One thing to note is, don't get Optane if you have an SSD that you want to speed up. Intel has not really talked about it and has focused on HDD performance for good reason. Artificial benchmarks show a slight performance increase but we are talking less than 10%. In real world scenarios there is no appreciable difference when using Optane with an SSD.

Now for the anecdotal portion of the post. I have 2 Samsung 960 Evo running in RAID 0 that I have Win10 and SC installed on. I can boot to Windows in around 15-20 seconds and I can load into the SC menus in about 20 seconds, PU takes less than 30 on average but is dependent on the servers.

So I guess what I'm getting at is if you have a 7th gen Intel and an open M.2 slot and only have an HDD then spend the $33 on Optane, otherwise, get an SSD.

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev

The correct misspelling is "Optane".. I think it requires a system board that supports the new memory along with the I7 processor.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
The correct misspelling is "Optane".. I think it requires a system board that supports the new memory along with the I7 processor.
I checked on the boards and it's anything with a 270 or 250 chipset, doesn't matter the letter prefix. So basically you have to shell out the money for a new system and not have enough left for an SSD to make this a good buy at this point. Hopefully, they will find a better fit for this type of memory as the technology behind it is pretty cool.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So you PC users that are running recent stuff are all loading Win10 and SC into your cheap SSDs? Forget hard discs?

I am using a Mac for almost a decade now, and need to add a PC for SC. I am looking at all-in-one solutions that will fit on a swing arm next to my favorite comfy chair, and especially touchscreens in hopes of finding a quick and easy gimbal-pointing solution. What I am wondering about is whether things like the 27" HP Envy and Pavilion are powerful enough to run unhindered. Right now they are claiming NVIDIA GTX950M:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ENVY-27-b025se-27-QHD-Touchscreen-Core-i7-16GB-2TB-HD-256GB-SSD-All-in-One-/292063258410?hash=item440053a72a:g:6zoAAOSwSlBY2pze

Does this look like it will do the job with power to spare?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
So you PC users that are running recent stuff are all loading Win10 and SC into your cheap SSDs? Forget hard discs?

I am using a Mac for almost a decade now, and need to add a PC for SC. I am looking at all-in-one solutions that will fit on a swing arm next to my favorite comfy chair, and especially touchscreens in hopes of finding a quick and easy gimbal-pointing solution. What I am wondering about is whether things like the 27" HP Envy and Pavilion are powerful enough to run unhindered. Right now they are claiming NVIDIA GTX950M:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ENVY-27-b025se-27-QHD-Touchscreen-Core-i7-16GB-2TB-HD-256GB-SSD-All-in-One-/292063258410?hash=item440053a72a:g:6zoAAOSwSlBY2pze

Does this look like it will do the job with power to spare?
OH GOD do not go HP.......
I have owned both a HP Envy and a Pavilion laptops.....they crapped out on me within a year. Do yourself a favor and get a desktop or if you really want to stick with a laptop, Dell XPS. They make good, long-lasting stuff.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
All-in-Ones are typically garbage at gaming. They will try to use laptop components to save space and they have horrible cooling solutions which means that under heavy load (like gaming) they will thermal throttle and you will get reduced performance. If you want to go with a laptop, look at the Razor Blade series and some of the MSI laptops. Personally, I say build your own PC. You'll come out better in the long run 9 times out of 10.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Are you referring to the new mem-ristor technology, or the new m.2 standard?

I have not had the opportunity to try the new mem-ristor technology, but after a couple of computers kicked it on my family (one 5 years, old one 7), we did build a new one with a 500 GB drive on the m.2 standard. I will say, it's slightly faster than the previous SSD on boot-up Here is the thing though. Most video cards take 16 channels on the PCI express bus. The new m.2 standard takes 4. So if you use two m.2 drives and have a 1080/1070 or equiv Radeon, that is taking up 24 PCI express lanes. That means you might be running into some issues there, depending on how many drives you want.

Now, speeds are going to vary depending on what is being written/read to/from the drive, but the theoretical throughput of the M.2 is 32 GB/s vs 6 of the SATA. This means it COULD be up to 5 times faster, but it will depend on the system. The biggest news is that it's very compact, meaning if you are just using two m.2 drives and a Blu-Ray (or no optical disk at all), you can put your system into a very small package.

Personally, I would get the m.2, but only if you need to build a system anyway. If your system is still pretty decent (running a 3770K here with a 1080 and it runs SC just fine with SSDs), then I would not recommend upgrading at this time.

Reactions: StdDev

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The form factor is not really a flexible part of the plan. There is no room for a desktop and I know a laptop is not useful. The plan is for a 27-34" flat or curved all-in-one with touchscreen. This is about 6X the internal space of a laptop. Is anyone familiar with the all-in-one form factor used for gaming? I have found reports of the Envy overheating but it seems they were all fixed by cleaning the fans. This FF has to have its fans cleaned since they are designed to operate at very moderate volumes to keep the sound down.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
All-in-Ones are typically garbage at gaming. They will try to use laptop components to save space and they have horrible cooling solutions which means that under heavy load (like gaming) they will thermal throttle and you will get reduced performance. If you want to go with a laptop, look at the Razor Blade series and some of the MSI laptops. Personally, I say build your own PC. You'll come out better in the long run 9 times out of 10.
I like Origin for laptops. If you want a desktop, build your own so that you have exactly what you want.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Would speed up more than your SC boot up time?
that intel thing is supposed to make your pc faster if you use a hard drive so its not for anyone in our community. that said they will later be releasing consumer "ssd" like drives of it and that will be for us. though that probably wont make a huge difference to us over us already using ssds.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Are you referring to the new mem-ristor technology, or the new m.2 standard?

I have not had the opportunity to try the new mem-ristor technology, but after a couple of computers kicked it on my family (one 5 years, old one 7), we did build a new one with a 500 GB drive on the m.2 standard. I will say, it's slightly faster than the previous SSD on boot-up Here is the thing though. Most video cards take 16 channels on the PCI express bus. The new m.2 standard takes 4. So if you use two m.2 drives and have a 1080/1070 or equiv Radeon, that is taking up 24 PCI express lanes. That means you might be running into some issues there, depending on how many drives you want.

Now, speeds are going to vary depending on what is being written/read to/from the drive, but the theoretical throughput of the M.2 is 32 GB/s vs 6 of the SATA. This means it COULD be up to 5 times faster, but it will depend on the system. The biggest news is that it's very compact, meaning if you are just using two m.2 drives and a Blu-Ray (or no optical disk at all), you can put your system into a very small package.

Personally, I would get the m.2, but only if you need to build a system anyway. If your system is still pretty decent (running a 3770K here with a 1080 and it runs SC just fine with SSDs), then I would not recommend upgrading at this time.
With a Z270 motherboard and a 7700k you should have somewhere around 40 PCIE lanes, at least I really hope so because that's what I have.

Forgot your password?