Optane 900D

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Okay so I am well not really up to date on PC tech, my current pc has a 70gb ssd which is full, along with some hard drive disks. Given my pc is a few years old is a faster larger ssd worth the investment (I have some games that take ages to load which due to size are not on the ssd like warhammer total war 2).

I am not really a good enough pilot to care about the sabre thingy so am only interested in whether the ssd is any cop? Apart from size I presume I would need the one that slots into a drive slot on the mother board?

I am not at all bothered about whether it would help with playing star citizen as I know I have many years yet to get a new pc.

Lastly if I did get such is the ship sellable?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Based on your current setup from what you have told us, the SSD would do you some good. But there are also other options out there for cheaper. Shop around newegg.com or pcpartpicker.com for some other options for your rig.

Pretty sure the ship is sellable/giftable but dont quote me.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I ended up buying a single 900d for my home workstation, but that's just because the place I intern at was already considering them and offered to cover 1/4 of the price. Not sure if I will get the ship with it or not from that.
I dont see why you wouldnt get the ship.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Apart from size I presume I would need the one that slots into a drive slot on the mother board?
You will need a free PCIe x4 slot, a PCIe x16 will also work.

The ship isn't sellable or giftable, you will get a redeem code. This redeem code can be sold, however, this is a tricky business. If you buy the Optane, get the redeem card and return the Optane, the Raven also will be removed from the account.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I ended up buying a single 900d for my home workstation, but that's just because the place I intern at was already considering them and offered to cover 1/4 of the price. Not sure if I will get the ship with it or not from that.
Scrounge around work to find out who else plans to get the drive but would likely throw the code for the Raven away!

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Based on your current setup from what you have told us, the SSD would do you some good. But there are also other options out there for cheaper. Shop around newegg.com or pcpartpicker.com for some other options for your rig.

Quoted you. The Sabre is not giftable. You have to give someone your code and they can redeem it. Someone probably already answered this :P

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Thats not terrible. I dont think LTI is going to be as superior as everyone makes it out to be.
I agree I think LTI was meant to be a big thing, but it is so widespread it was not special and covered most ships. Since they want some things to take money back out of the economy They will just ensure everyone will want to upgrade their ships (the possible exception being the 890jump because it supposedly has top end gear), and the upgrades along with cargo are not covered by LTI.

The bigger the fleet the more LTI becomes important 1) because insurance ticking down on multiple ships at once would be a right pain and a negative reason to own mulitple ships (Lets be honest they like whales) 2) You may not earn more cash than a single ship player assuming same amount of time spent and thus will have less upgrades per ship.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
If you have 20 ships, then LTI is important. If you have a few ships without LTI, then it's not that bad.

Think of it like this:
You have a friend and once a week you buy him / her lunch. It doesn't cost that much and you help him / her out. Then later you get more and more friends. Some of them eat more than the others, so their lunch is a little more expensive.

Next thing you know, you're not able to afford much because you keep spending all of your money on your friends once a week.

Spending a little for an upkeep is bad, but when you have a crazy number of small upkeeps, it's bad.

I don't have LTI on 2 of my ships, only because they came from CIG and they were part of the Referal perks.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Okay so I am well not really up to date on PC tech, my current pc has a 70gb ssd which is full, along with some hard drive disks. Given my pc is a few years old is a faster larger ssd worth the investment (I have some games that take ages to load which due to size are not on the ssd like warhammer total war 2).

I am not really a good enough pilot to care about the sabre thingy so am only interested in whether the ssd is any cop? Apart from size I presume I would need the one that slots into a drive slot on the mother board?

I am not at all bothered about whether it would help with playing star citizen as I know I have many years yet to get a new pc.

What are your full system specs? If you don't have the PCIe lanes to handle everything then and SSD like this won't get you as much benefit as you would hope for the money. Personally if you don't have M.2 slots on the motherboard I would look at a good SATA SSD like a SanDisk Ultra or Samsung.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
What are your full system specs? If you don't have the PCIe lanes to handle everything then and SSD like this won't get you as much benefit as you would hope for the money. Personally if you don't have M.2 slots on the motherboard I would look at a good SATA SSD like a SanDisk Ultra or Samsung.
I didn't have an m.2 slot on mine, so I bought a PCIe 3.0 4x to m.2 card for $15 when I bought mine.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
*disclaimer* I had some beer, and didn't read all the posts /disclaimer

U need a U.2 slot, totally and completely different from an M.2 slot (if u take the 2.5" version) else, as marcand stated, u need a free pci-e 4x slot if u take the pci version, I am not 100% sure what other functionality your mobo needs for optimal performance though.

Also, the optane drives are heavily overpriced atm, if I were u and I didn't want the sabre.. I'd just get a samsung 960 evo/pro (probably pro because u have the budget apparently ;) ) At this point in time, you will not notice any difference between a 960 pro and an optane drive(if ur just doing regular stuff like playing games.. if you want to render videos and play games at the same time you will actually notice the difference) except for benchmarks.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
If money was no object (and you had an extra PCI slot for the drive) then I would say definitely go for it! it should have a long life, and if you plan on upgrading your PC in a year or more, chances are the new motherboard will be fast enough to get the max advantage from the drive. The drive is rated for a jillion writes over 5 years, so in a way, you'd be paying a premium* to get an advanced drive now, that maybe you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of until you upgrade your PC (but when you do upgrade, woo-hoo!).

*(And that premium over and above a regular SSD may not be that much, if you count the $200 the Sabre Raven is supposedly worth)

However, if you are on a budget, and your PC is already a couple of years old, you aren't going to get much of a benefit from this drive, so you might as well just go with a cheaper SSD. Yes, if you have a spinning HD, you likely will get a big benefit from putting everything on an SSD. (Note, you may have some headaches reinstalling all your software...).

Buying an Optane drive now, just to sell the Raven code to make up for the price difference just doesn't seem like a worthwhile use of time, right now, imo. Others may have other opinions.

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive

Once the code is redeemed, it's not giftable.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Every little penny helps when you have a big fleet. LTI helps.. even if it's 1 hour of play time saved per freelancer value... times by a bunch of ships bigger than the freelancer and everything else... just 10 ships is 10 hours of grind just to insure them incase they get stolen. No no.. I must have LTI... not grinding for something so meaningless... no no.. I must grind for ore! That makes things.

Reactions: marcsand2
Forgot your password?