Patcher fails to install

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
Hi folks,

I decided to go for a fresh install of 2.6... Which in hindsight might not have been such a great idea. My current problem lies with the patcher trying to update and install a new version of the launcher, but fails.

This is what it reports:

Initializing BootStrapper.
Checking for new data...
Done.
Downloading new version...
Downloading Patcher... 100.00%
Done.
Installing new version...
InstallNewVersion Exception:
System.IO.InvalidDataException: End of Central Directory record could not be found.
at System.IO.Compression.ZipArchive.ReadEndOfCentralDirectory()
at System.IO.Compression.ZipArchive.Init(Stream stream, ZipArchiveMode mode, Boolean leaveOpen)
at System.IO.Compression.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream stream, ZipArchiveMode mode, Boolean leaveOpen, Encoding entryNameEncoding)
at System.IO.Compression.ZipFile.Open(String archiveFileName, ZipArchiveMode mode, Encoding entryNameEncoding)
at CIGLauncher.Launcher.InstallNewVersion()

Error: CRITICAL ERROR: Failed to install new version.
Press enter to exit.

I've added the launcher to the firewall exceptions list, I've run it as administrator, deleted the CIG folder, cleaned up the register (removing old firewall exceptions).

But to no avail, so! Any ideas?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Seems like an install problem, not a download problem. Maybe submit a trouble ticket with CIG?

Reactions: Lythan

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
Seems like an install problem, not a download problem. Maybe submit a trouble ticket with CIG?
Yep, I send a ticket not long after this post. But I realize they might be quite busy with a small holiday team during the 2.6 launch.

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
You get it up and running yet Lythan?

Try deleting user folder as well fixes 80% of sc problems for no reason at all!

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
When I patch or download SC, I completely disable my firewall. I've added SC as an exception to both Windows Firewall and Avast Antivirus but it doesn't work, SC just stops downloading or I fail to get all files.

My advice:

Accept a minor amount of risk and disable all firewalls until SC is fully re-downloaded and installed.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
I'll have a go at both your suggestions, thanks!

Whatever the outcome I'll report back le findings

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Try clicking the gear at the top right corner of the launcher and pick HTTP as your download protocol.
There are tons of other work arounds out there and in here.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
Try clicking the gear at the top right corner of the launcher and pick HTTP as your download protocol.
There are tons of other work arounds out there and in here.
I'm afraid I never get to that stage :( I tried completely disabling every security measure but that didn't work either.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
What always works for me is connecting to a VPN. I use cyber ghost , no idea if thats the best but thats what I found :slight_smile:

edit: Oh you have trouble with the patcher file itself, dont know if this helps then sorry :(

edit 2: You have enough space on the drive right?

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
edit 2: You have enough space on the drive right?
Yep! 500gb left on me SSD.

Currently trying to reinstall and install the .net packages... Having some trouble with the 3.5 one. It doesn't do anything :confounded:

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
Uninstalled and re-installed the .NET packages, checked and did all kinds of security troubleshooting (AV on/off/uninstalled, using VPN during installation/download etc.)

But nope! Still the same bloody error message, I'm waiting on a reply from CIG after sending them my DXDiag... In the meantime, any other suggestions are most welcome!

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Well, half a dozen black candles, some chalk, salt, a virgin, (ugly sheep will work if in Nebraska) and a copy of the Necronomicon?

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
So, I'm closing this attempt after finding out what is the presumed cause of all my problems:

----

Hi lovely support people,

I’ve deleted and reinstalled numerous times, cleaning the registry of any old keys, clearing any temp folders, rebooting at every turn.. Finally, I’ve been keeping a close eye on what the Launcher is trying to download.

That turned me onto what seems to be at the core of all my problems here: my internet is being checked by the university servers and then again by the Great Firewall of China. One of those is keeping the launcher from downloading “PatcherInstall.zip”. After a few hundred kilobytes the launcher jumps to “Complete” and tries to install, which it can’t because the install zip never was completed.

After figuring this, I contacted my father and asked if he could send me the completed PatcherInstall.zip. (From the Netherlands) .. Just getting that file transferred took 10 hours. (Speed within china: 10mb/s, outside china: between 5 and 200 kb/s). I hope Amazon has a data center inside of China to solve all this in the future!

Anyways, I got the file, extracted it. Launched the launcher, it gave me a message that there was an update (which is funny). I ignored this and logged in, chose Verify files and it started downloading. After about 10 Gigabytes were done I get a message from the University that my Internet balance is empty. (Even though I had enough for another 50 gigabytes). Whatever happened, the download apparently registered as more then what was actually downloaded.

With that I end my attempts to play Star Citizen in China, hopefully this can provide you and CIG with some insight as to what is required for Star Citizen to work here and what kind of problems can turn up. Early February I will return to The Netherlands and I’ll go and reinstall SC then. I’m not expecting any trouble from that point onward.

Thanks for your support!

With kind regards,

---
Me...

Forgot your password?