PC Advice. Keypads/GPUs etc.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Updated OP.

I'll probably be buying a pre-built system, simply because I can finance it through the Canex (Canadian version of the PX) for 0% interest over 3 years. I've attached an image of the system I'm looking at.
Now I'll be looking at peripheries, monitors, etc. That's where y'all come in. I'm going to need a new keyboard, monitor, speedpad, and . . .that's about it I think. I'm looking for suggestions, as well as reasons for and against things like ultrawide, etc. For a monitor I'm set on 1440p 144hz, but am now trying to discern between IPS, TN, VA, etc.

Thanks for your time,

Owl

Attachments

Last edited:

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
You can always build your own for less, but you are on the hook for any warranty and RMA associated prices. Buying pre-built can at least give you a warranty for the whole system. Go cruise through pcpartpicker.com as they have systems built by the community and available prices listed on each item that you can use for reference.

My personal opinion currently is to still hold off on the RTX cards as the systems still only support a few games, and you can find an old Nvidia 1080ti for fairly cheap now. AMD also has their own cards that benchmark well so options are out there.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You can always build your own for less, but you are on the hook for any warranty and RMA associated prices. Buying pre-built can at least give you a warranty for the whole system. Go cruise through pcpartpicker.com as they have systems built by the community and available prices listed on each item that you can use for reference.

My personal opinion currently is to still hold off on the RTX cards as the systems still only support a few games, and you can find an old Nvidia 1080ti for fairly cheap now. AMD also has their own cards that benchmark well so options are out there.
Awesome, thank you. I shall check it out.

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
First off I'm chucking this out and I'll get some sort of flak for it... AVOID AMD, yes you get more for your money, yes they do outperform in places but the headaches and brings is just not worth it in the end. I bought my kids an AMD prebuilt a year ago and ended up building them both new intel/Nvidia machines after 6 months.

If you are confident enough I would also suggest building your own, its fun and you gain a real sense of ownership when you do it yourself.

As mentioned above check pc part picker, it will show you the best places to buy what you want and also makes sure that everything is compatible.

prebuilt is ok and again as mentioned warranty, but the moment you start to "alter" it then bye bye warranty.

TLDR

Build your own and avoid AMD

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
... Just so you know... to give you some peace of mind maybe... You're not wrong, not even close to wrong with the processor choice.
To get any performance benefit from new processor technology, you're not buying low level equipment. The price would give the average person a nosebleed. And anyone who thinks Intel fell behind, does not understand the technology or the way the industry works. They're falling for marketing schlock - stuff we used to call skunge and acting like they drank a glass of lurg.
  • Schlock: Marketing stretching the truth.
  • Skunge: The film that forms over a sink full of dirty dishes that you leave for a week.
  • Lurg: The stuff that builds up on the bottom of the sink if you leave dirty dishes for a week.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
First off I'm chucking this out and I'll get some sort of flak for it... AVOID AMD, yes you get more for your money, yes they do outperform in places but the headaches and brings is just not worth it in the end. I bought my kids an AMD prebuilt a year ago and ended up building them both new intel/Nvidia machines after 6 months.

If you are confident enough I would also suggest building your own, its fun and you gain a real sense of ownership when you do it yourself.

As mentioned above check pc part picker, it will show you the best places to buy what you want and also makes sure that everything is compatible.

prebuilt is ok and again as mentioned warranty, but the moment you start to "alter" it then bye bye warranty.

TLDR

... Just so you know... to give you some peace of mind maybe... You're not wrong, not even close to wrong with the processor choice.
To get any performance benefit from new processor technology, you're not buying low level equipment. The price would give the average person a nosebleed. And anyone who thinks Intel fell behind, does not understand the technology or the way the industry works. They're falling for marketing schlock - stuff we used to call skunge and acting like they drank a glass of lurg.
  • Schlock: Marketing stretching the truth.
  • Skunge: The film that forms over a sink full of dirty dishes that you leave for a week.
  • Lurg: The stuff that builds up on the bottom of the sink if you leave dirty dishes for a week.
So Intel always? Ok, I'm an Intel boy, have been for quite some time. Was about to do a deep dive the difference between the two, but if you, sir @Vavrik, are telling me emphatically that AMD (Ryzen) is malarkey, then I shall remain devoted to my one true CPU.
if you finance that throw a vive on it.
Is Vive the one to go with? Not Oculus? I'm not up to date on any of this shit, lol.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
@PeppaPigKilla, I hardly know you, but you've just won me over with an apple crumble reference. Except we use vanilla ice cream. Filthy colonials! Haha.
OMG I just got incredibly hungry... Apple crumble, apple pie, apple strudel...Apple and ritz crackers... i don't care which... and ice cream!!!

So I'm not opposed to AMD. It's just that to get any real benefit from their new processor architecture is going to be expensive. Their video card technology by the way... was developed by a Canadian company that they purchased back in 2006, called ATI. ATI was for a long time the market leader. The only thing I'm saying is, anyone who things that switching to AMD processor technology is going to benefit them just because they switched to AMD is mistaken.

There's a lot more to this, a lot more going on in the industry. If you buy a PC today, it may well be the last PC you ever buy. I don't mean PC's are going to be gone tomorrow, but 5 years from now things will be different.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Bottom line, at present, Intel w/ Nvidia is best for just gaming, while AMD is best for productivity in more areas but is just shy of the other in regards of gaming. Either way, patience is your friend in regards of prices. A lot of systems will go on sale online right around Thanksgiving in the US. Unfortunately, this year that will be close to both CitizenCon as well as the SC Anniversary sale.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
So Intel always? Ok, I'm an Intel boy, have been for quite some time. Was about to do a deep dive the difference between the two, but if you, sir @Vavrik, are telling me emphatically that AMD (Ryzen) is malarkey, then I shall remain devoted to my one true CPU.

Is Vive the one to go with? Not Oculus? I'm not up to date on any of this shit, lol.
Lets go on step...

CPU: intel or AMD...
That's depend on how you are gonna use this pc.
AMD has highter core/tread count, but generally on lower Ghz, if you are pla to use your pc for rendering, that is an advantage, but if you plan a gaming rig then whats count mostly is the single core speed , so hai for highter GHz.
That said, latest AMD CPU (Rizen 3xx series) seeams to have some BIOS issue that lead to an excessive CPU power request that leads to highter temprature and in some case to boot error where the PC do not recognise the CPU and won't boot.
I'm looking forward to AMD CPU, but you need to have the skill and the patience to look into troubles... lot of.

GPU
Stick to Nvidia... splain simple.
As for the CPU even the GPU form AMD still have Bios and some diver problem, also if you are aiming for a highend GPU AMD has no offer in that range.
That said, RTX or not??
I'll say yes, not for the RTX itself that I beleave it's not a consumer ready tecnology, but becouse the RTX series perform really good in most title. Get and RTX 2070 Super and you will be good for a looot of time on.
If you are into a used market get a 1080 Ti or a 1070 Ti, they are still good GPU...

An adivce: do not bother with dual GPU, you spend a loot more without gaining an adeguate performance return.

Storage drive
This is simple use an 250 GB NVMe drive for operative system and basic program and add a SATA 3 SSD for games and stuff.
For the SSD get a 1TB dirve they do not cost that much now, if you have budget get a hight end drive like the Samsung EVO

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
@PeppaPigKilla, I hardly know you, but you've just won me over with an apple crumble reference. Except we use vanilla ice cream. Filthy colonials! Haha.
OMG I just got incredibly hungry... Apple crumble, apple pie, apple strudel...Apple and ritz crackers... i don't care which... and ice cream!!!
Here's a pic of a slice of apple pie with the crumble that is topped with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
There's a lot more to this, a lot more going on in the industry. If you buy a PC today, it may well be the last PC you ever buy. I don't mean PC's are going to be gone tomorrow, but 5 years from now things will be different.
Is the architecture going to change that much? Are PCs and Consoles all going to become one? Or is everything going to be cloud based?

I am highly intrigued by your comment and I would like to know more.
InsignificantSneakyHogget-size_restricted.gif

DFBTj0a.gif

Bottom line, at present, Intel w/ Nvidia is best for just gaming, while AMD is best for productivity in more areas but is just shy of the other in regards of gaming. Either way, patience is your friend in regards of prices. A lot of systems will go on sale online right around Thanksgiving in the US. Unfortunately, this year that will be close to both CitizenCon as well as the SC Anniversary sale.
Yeah, I'll be buying in the spring. February/March. And I'll probably go with the system I posted in the OP, or something very similar.
Lets go on step...

CPU: intel or AMD...
That's depend on how you are gonna use this pc.
AMD has highter core/tread count, but generally on lower Ghz, if you are pla to use your pc for rendering, that is an advantage, but if you plan a gaming rig then whats count mostly is the single core speed , so hai for highter GHz.
That said, latest AMD CPU (Rizen 3xx series) seeams to have some BIOS issue that lead to an excessive CPU power request that leads to highter temprature and in some case to boot error where the PC do not recognise the CPU and won't boot.
I'm looking forward to AMD CPU, but you need to have the skill and the patience to look into troubles... lot of.

GPU
Stick to Nvidia... splain simple.
As for the CPU even the GPU form AMD still have Bios and some diver problem, also if you are aiming for a highend GPU AMD has no offer in that range.
That said, RTX or not??
I'll say yes, not for the RTX itself that I beleave it's not a consumer ready tecnology, but becouse the RTX series perform really good in most title. Get and RTX 2070 Super and you will be good for a looot of time on.
If you are into a used market get a 1080 Ti or a 1070 Ti, they are still good GPU...

An adivce: do not bother with dual GPU, you spend a loot more without gaining an adeguate performance return.

Storage drive
This is simple use an 250 GB NVMe drive for operative system and basic program and add a SATA 3 SSD for games and stuff.
For the SSD get a 1TB dirve they do not cost that much now, if you have budget get a hight end drive like the Samsung EVO
Great breakdown. Thank you

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Is the architecture going to change that much? Are PCs and Consoles all going to become one? Or is everything going to be cloud based?

I am highly intrigued by your comment and I would like to know more.
(Any company names are for example only, and this might become kind of thick to understand.) I can talk about some of it, there isn't much secret here it's just that we don't know where everything is headed exactly. What's possible? Well a lot. There's a kind of convergence happening in technology development.

So yes, everything is going to cloud based, for one thing. In a few years, there won't be much of a reason to have a PC at all. You can already use a Google Chromebook, but that's not exactly what I mean. That's essentially a PC laptop that uses the internet instead of local storage. It's certainly a start though. You can play SC with a cell phone as a result but that's a kinda small screen. Try a tablet instead. Check out Samsung Galaxy X, or better known nowadays as the Galaxy Flip. Expect that technology to expand considerably in the next few years. Then there is also 5G "cellular" network, except that it's 10 times the bandwidth as we have been seeing. Wireless, to the next generation. 5G's 20Mb/s bandwidth is enough to a single device and that is the guarantee bandwidth for 5G. (Note... not the guarantee for throughput... networks can get busy.)

I'm having a bit of a problem explaining more, but there is a lot more. An area that I have spent a bit of time looking at for the last few years is generically called vision augmentation technology. You know those 3d headsets? Oculus and Vive for example (I like Vive too btw) yeah that... except not that. What I mean isn't even the next generation of VR. We have teams working on sending the video output of a computer system, directly to your brain. This is 25% of my life right now, kind of accelerated because I became a subject of the technology last summer. If IBM or Tesla wants a volunteer to test their research on, I'm their guy. Except that I have a competing idea, and not a lot of money. Basically I'm spending between 10 and 20 hours/week working on a way to replace human vision. It's a prototype at the moment. Edit: that's a comment that means "not quite working yet"

Also, you saw me talking about an AI I was working on a few times last year. This is part of the technology. I was talking about it because I was ecstatic that the damned thing worked first time. It still needs some tweaking, but I actually use it now, every day. It's the only way I can read anything, including posts in TEST, unless I want a massive headache because of the amount of concentration it requires. I'm trying to get the thing to work in 1 Gb of RAM. I'm using a Raspberry PI. It's opened up a whole plethora of "wearables technology", but I don't have time for everything. Or the money.

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
(Any company names are for example only, and this might become kind of thick to understand.) I can talk about some of it, there isn't much secret here it's just that we don't know where everything is headed exactly. What's possible? Well a lot. There's a kind of convergence happening in technology development.

So yes, everything is going to cloud based, for one thing. In a few years, there won't be much of a reason to have a PC at all. You can already use a Google Chromebook, but that's not exactly what I mean. That's essentially a PC laptop that uses the internet instead of local storage. It's certainly a start though. You can play SC with a cell phone as a result but that's a kinda small screen. Try a tablet instead. Check out Samsung Galaxy X, or better known nowadays as the Galaxy Flip. Expect that technology to expand considerably in the next few years. Then there is also 5G "cellular" network, except that it's 10 times the bandwidth as we have been seeing. Wireless, to the next generation. 5G's 20Mb/s bandwidth is enough to a single device and that is the guarantee bandwidth for 5G. (Note... not the guarantee for throughput... networks can get busy.)

I'm having a bit of a problem explaining more, but there is a lot more. An area that I have spent a bit of time looking at for the last few years is generically called vision augmentation technology. You know those 3d headsets? Oculus and Vive for example (I like Vive too btw) yeah that... except not that. What I mean isn't even the next generation of VR. We have teams working on sending the video output of a computer system, directly to your brain. This is 25% of my life right now, kind of accelerated because I became a subject of the technology last summer. If IBM or Tesla wants a volunteer to test their research on, I'm their guy. Except that I have a competing idea, and not a lot of money. Basically I'm spending between 10 and 20 hours/week working on a way to replace human vision. It's a prototype at the moment.

Also, you saw me talking about an AI I was working on a few times last year. This is part of the technology. I was talking about it because I was ecstatic that the damned thing worked first time. It still needs some tweaking, but I actually use it now, every day. It's the only way I can read anything, including posts in TEST, unless I want a massive headache because of the amount of concentration it requires. I'm trying to get the thing to work in 1 Gb of RAM. I'm using a Raspberry PI. It's opened up a whole plethora of "wearables technology", but I don't have time for everything. Or the money.
Although there's a lot of great info here, what my empty stomach summarized for me is that @Vavrik knows a lot & could use a good meal as well as a nice massage before heading back to work on his project.

Forgot your password?