PC help

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
So recently (like yesterday basically) my PC decided it wanted to act like Chernobyl and go critical on CPU temperatures, so I come here hopefully seeing if anyone has some insight into this issue.

Run down of my problem, I turn on PC and ~5-10 minutes the CPU temps show 100*C and the fans and water cooler are screaming like an F-14 in afterburner mode.

Things I have already done: reapplied thermal paste to CPU and cooler, used stock fan assembly with new paste, reset BIOS, cleaned with compressed air, reseat CPU and apply more paste.

Help Obi-Wan Testobis, you're my only hope!

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

archiefalcon

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
archiefalcon
So recently (like yesterday basically) my PC decided it wanted to act like Chernobyl and go critical on CPU temperatures, so I come here hopefully seeing if anyone has some insight into this issue.

Run down of my problem, I turn on PC and ~5-10 minutes the CPU temps show 100*C and the fans and water cooler are screaming like an F-14 in afterburner mode.

Things I have already done: reapplied thermal paste to CPU and cooler, used stock fan assembly with new paste, reset BIOS, cleaned with compressed air, reseat CPU and apply more paste.

Hello

I have the same problem and I thought I had the NASA Shuttle underneath my table. I can not test 3.5.1 and my problems started with 3.5.0. I have cleaned. replaced bad fans, new Thermal Past on the CPU, double blow out dust in my GPU and computer case. I also went to reinstall Windows 10 but no good, my computer crashes every time I wakeup in Port Olisar. I hope CIG gets this message from me and others because I think the problem is not my computer and I think is in the game forcing the CPU and GPU to spike in temperatures beyond the max and my computer screens turn black, I them have to turn my computer off from the back of the case because the front button ends up not functioning. I have prayed to the CIG Gods to fix the problem but no luck. My test days are very limited this days. Help me oh mighty CIG and make it for me to be able to test again.

Thanks

Archiefalcon

• o7

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Is it overclocked, have it been overclocked, have you checked so all cores in CPU are actually working.
A broken/not working 100% core in a CPU is no big deal two or more broken/not working 100% cores will cause the other cores to work a lot harder hence CPU is increasing in temp.
Have you set it to run on max energy or you have it so it can vary dependent on the work load is there a difference in temp dependent on this setting
Do you run it open or closed case is there a difference in temp between those if you test that.
Is it only on heavy load programs, games etc.. or is it same in idle surfing the web, watching movie, youtube etc..
To find the problem you need to find out where it is different and then from there narrow it down to what made a difference.

CHEERS! 🍻

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
No overclocking, basically took out of box and threw all the pieces together. And as for differences, well can't really test that as as soon as I enter BIOS or log in to Windows the temps and fans ramp up, from what I see temporarily on the program I use to check CPU load/temps, there is minimal load but all cores are hot, no physical damage is seen when the CPU is uncovered. Always ran a fairly open case with good airflow, so finding it odd that almost 1 year later it just decides to act up.

Already got RMA started on PCU and MOBO just in case it is either one, Worst case I just run down to the store and grab new ones while this gets figured out, and then make a streaming machine.

• o7

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Yeah, my guess is the problem is on the CPU core's or MB, if any of the cores are not working right there is no visible way to tell sadly.
But you would get very odd unpredictable behavior from the computer if cores in any way is not working right but then a non 100% functional MB would do the same.
This is one of those hard nut's to crack when you have such small time frame to test out stuff before it over heat.

Last edited:
  • o7

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You might have a problem with the coolant. It's possible for it to become obstructed or restricted from debris in the system, malfunction in the pump, or from a kink in the pipe.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
You might have a problem with the coolant. It's possible for it to become obstructed or restricted from debris in the system, malfunction in the pump, or from a kink in the pipe.
Yeah good point...!

• o7

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Issue still persists with just a basic cooling fan, my first though was a water cooler failure so I tried that as the easiest fix.

• o7

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Look on your MB on the capacitors around the CPU area or power connector..

This is a healthy capacitor..

Healthy capacitor is always flat on top, slightest bulge on it and it is a sign of weakness and it might break or already have.
Mostly a broken capacitor show some residue on top but this is not a rule, a bulge is enough to be sure it is not helthy.

This are about to break and can already have lost some function.

This are how broken capacitors look...

Why I tell you to look at this is cause the capacitors are the most common thing to break on a MB .

CHEERS! 🍻

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Hmmm, I will have to do that when I get home from work. may have overlooked it but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

• o7

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
It can be hard to spot a broken capacitor, so use clear not to strong white light and magnifying glass and or loupe preferably both when inspecting them.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Assuming it’s a new build, do the temps skyrocket if you leave the side of the case off?
Yep, even just did a complete BIOS reset by removing the CMOS and shorting the circuit per Asus support. And the build is new in that it is just a little under a year old, but never abused by overclocking or doing any insane stuff like that.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

Have you tried to run windows off another drive yet to see if you have a possible virus? Ive had virus's in the past which max out your CPU usage and overheat the computer to break it.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Have you tried to run windows off another drive yet to see if you have a possible virus? Ive had virus's in the past which max out your CPU usage and overheat the computer to break it.
Assuming that would affect BIOS as well? Even in BIOS the issue is present.

I did get a new MOBO today so I will be putting that in and seeing how it reacts in BIOS, worst case if the CPU is bad, I now have the means for a PLEX server lol

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Assuming that would affect BIOS as well? Even in BIOS the issue is present.

I did get a new MOBO today so I will be putting that in and seeing how it reacts in BIOS, worst case if the CPU is bad, I now have the means for a PLEX server lol
If you got a nasty enough virus i could assume they could have flashed your bios with a virus version of your bios but thats unlikely. maybe try to flash your bios with the factory version(or an update if you are behind) then either reinstall windows or run windows from another drive.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
This was my initial thought as well. I'm sorry that wasn't the cause in your case @stockish . You said that it's both your CPU & GPU that are doing this or just the CPU? Please list what part you're using that is doing this if not the Mobo as well.
Just the CPU is having the issue, I ruled out the water cooler since the stock blower fan unit didn't alleviate the problem either.

Forgot your password?